The Student Room Group

Access to science course making up for poor a level grades?

If I do an access to science course can this make up for poor a level grades? So I would be able to apply with the results I get from the course?
Reply 1
You've been told repeatedly on here that most universities will not accept Access to Science for medicine courses - you need to check each university's requirements very carefully and almost certainly do a proper Access to Medicine course. If you did that, then it is possible they would take you with that rather than A-level grades.
Reply 2
Original post by 1lastchance
If I do an access to science course can this make up for poor a level grades? So I would be able to apply with the results I get from the course?

You need an access to medicine course, access to science is not accepted by
Universities for medicine(only nursing etc)
Reply 3
Ok sorry. Won't post this again. I didn't realise I had asked this question before.
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
You've been told repeatedly on here that most universities will not accept Access to Science for medicine courses - you need to check each university's requirements very carefully and almost certainly do a proper Access to Medicine course. If you did that, then it is possible they would take you with that rather than A-level grades.

I hadn't asked specifically about the access course replacing a levels, just About whether the access course can lead to Medicine degree
Reply 5
Original post by 1lastchance
I hadn't asked specifically about the access course replacing a levels, just About whether the access course can lead to Medicine degree

The answer for both is the same.
Reply 6
Yes I know that now.
Access to Medicine is by far the most widely accepted Access course for med hopefuls, but some universities do accept a science access course in lieu of A Levels. However this is on a case-by-case basis as admissions need to look at the units studied in the course as all colleges are different.

If you were to do an access course, I'd strongly recommend doing the medicine route if possible as knowing you're doing a qualification so widely accepted will be a big weight off you!

If you plan to do the science, ring all universities and speak to admissions about the chance of your course being accepted, as mentioned above they will ask for a full breakdown of your course. Universities that will consider other access courses include Bristol, Glasgow and Southamptom (http://themsag.com/uk-medical-schools/access-to-medicine).

I'm a medicine hopeful myself (with a first degree in a non-science subject) and start an access to science course tomorrow. Sadly there isn't a pre-med course anywhere near to where I live (otherwise I'd certainly be doing this) and cannot relocate due to saving for med school. But as I'm a graduate, my circumstances are slightly different and am mainly studying as I have no science qualifications since GCSE!

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending