The Student Room Group

What graduate starting salary would you be happy with?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I earn slightly less than people in industry, however the overall level of salary where I am is so high, that I gladly take a slightly lower salary for the more interesting job. In other places though I would have thought at the least the standard rate. How can you be "happy" with less than standard?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
I started on 45k last year which I'm pretty happy about! London absolutely eats money though - I could probably have the same disposable income as someone on less than 30 elsewhere in the country.
Original post by Dewsy
I started on 45k last year which I'm pretty happy about! London absolutely eats money though - I could probably have the same disposable income as someone on less than 30 elsewhere in the country.

MC firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Princepieman

Yeah
Original post by Dewsy
Yeah

Fair, congrats :smile: How's the workload been, manageable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Princepieman
Fair, congrats :smile: How's the workload been, manageable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have genuinely really enjoyed it so far. Days can be long (On average, leaving 7:30-8ish is a good day - to those infamous 4am finishes working on a Saturday/Sunday) but I love the work and wouldn't swap it for anything. Coming to the end of my 2nd seat and have been in 2 of the busier groups, but on the whole enjoyed it all because the work has been pretty good.*
I rejected a job at the well respected company that I did my placement year at, as the salary was £22k.

Ideally, I wouldn't take anything less than £25k. After my Masters course I wouldn't be happy with anything under £28k however, I have loans to pay off so I would take anything I can get for a year or two :tongue:.
I've just started my first grad role earning £17,000 which is actually at the upper end of whats typical for the kind of role.
Original post by Saliency
I rejected a job at the well respected company that I did my placement year at, as the salary was £22k.

Ideally I wouldn't take anything less than £25k. After my Masters course I wouldn't be happy with anything under £28k however, I have loans to pay off so I would take anything I can get for a year or two :tongue:.

The starting salary can be misleading. Sometimes a job can have a low starting salary but can lead to better salaries and opportunities later on (e.g. audit) and sometimes a job may have a great starting salary but the salary progression won't be as good. So it's wise to not focus too much on salary but on the opportunities that a firm and the role can offer you in the future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dewsy
I have genuinely really enjoyed it so far. Days can be long (On average, leaving 7:30-8ish is a good day - to those infamous 4am finishes working on a Saturday/Sunday) but I love the work and wouldn't swap it for anything. Coming to the end of my 2nd seat and have been in 2 of the busier groups, but on the whole enjoyed it all because the work has been pretty good.*

Awesome, sounds like you found a great fit :smile:

Are you planning on doing a secondment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing

or everything. I'm not concerned.
Original post by JohnGreek
Anywhere above 35-40k a year in London would be absolutely ideal. If not, 30k+.

Doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
£30000 a year
Reply 53
£50k
Original post by WBZ144
£30-40k, and that's because I'll be a Masters graduate soon.
What yeh study?
Its sad reading this thread because most of you will have your unrealistic expectations shattered within the next few years. To the minority that make it, fair play!
Original post by plasmaman
Its sad reading this thread because most of you will have your unrealistic expectations shattered within the next few years. To the minority that make it, fair play!

Always a token response like this on these threads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting a graduate job would make me immensely happy regardless of salary. It's a starting point and once you get your foot in the door and get some experience you can hopefully move up from there.
Wouldn't mind 40-50k with a nice little annual bonus in investment banking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending