The Student Room Group

Was chemistry the right choice?

so i picked my a-level options today and i decided to go with chemistry even though it's not my absolute top subject.

I'm not terrible at it but it's not my strongest. I got a B/A for my GCSE's in Chemistry (i received 2 grades for double science).

What do you think my predicted would be in Chemistry for AS if I work at a GCSE A grade?

I need chemistry for a lot of the uni options i want to do but i decided to just keep it at AS level as that's the most they'll require. Anyone else who did Chemistry with an A at GCSE please help!

also, if anyone does AQA chemistry (the new spec) what is it like compared to gcse?
I got an A at gcse(however I did triple science ) and the subjects I'm doing at a level weren't my best as I got As in them but had a few subjects at A* in gcse but didn't even consider doing them. As long as you like the subject and it's necessary for what you want to do at university I'd say go for it.
Also I did aqa new spec for AS and most of it builds on some stuff from gcse. I wouldn't say that makes it easy but to me it's very interesting so I wouldn't say it's hard either. But if you don't like chemistry as a subject don't do it !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
I got an A at gcse(however I did triple science ) and the subjects I'm doing at a level weren't my best as I got As in them but had a few subjects at A* in gcse but didn't even consider doing them. As long as you like the subject and it's necessary for what you want to do at university I'd say go for it.
Also I did aqa new spec for AS and most of it builds on some stuff from gcse. I wouldn't say that makes it easy but to me it's very interesting so I wouldn't say it's hard either. But if you don't like chemistry as a subject don't do it !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i like chemistry its just understanding some of the concepts initially can be hard for me but i do find it very interesting, what did you get at AS for chem and what was your revision like for chem?
Original post by an_r
i like chemistry its just understanding some of the concepts initially can be hard for me but i do find it very interesting, what did you get at AS for chem and what was your revision like for chem?

A B but I'll admit I made some stupid mistakes on those exams and there's a lot I need to work on
Also understanding is very important in chemistry. If you are not understand then go over it as many times as you need to and make sure to ask the teacher.

My revision was mostly reading as most concepts I understood. Then did 4 sets of past papers from the old spec (although looking back I think I should have done more to secure an A) so I suggest do as many past papers as possible. Also if you come across a question you don't understand or topics you constantly get wrong in past papers make sure that you go over those questions and topics until you understand them inside out. This is also why I think I got a B instead of an A.
Also don't be afraid to ask your teachers to review something or anything .
Hope this helps my advice is not golden though as I okay got a B (better than a C I say) but I know where I went wrong so hopefully if you don't make the same mistakes I did and do some of those stuff you will come out with top grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey, I also got an A in GCSE Chemistry and I quite enjoyed it at GCSE but that all changed at AS for me. I do the reformed As chemistry and it was tough. I envoy Organic and Inorganic chemistry but Physical chemistry is the bane of my life. There are LOADS of key words and equations to learn, it's unreal!

However if you need it for the degree you'd like tot do at Uni, to be honest you don't really have a choice but to stick with it because doing chemistry will definitely put you at an advantage when it comes to getting into your subject degree and university.

My advice however is to literally do a bit of revision every day for your subjects. Do lots of past papers and it' okay to have a breakdown ( or 2) throughout the year. Just keep at it
Original post by +++++
Hey, I also got an A in GCSE Chemistry and I quite enjoyed it at GCSE but that all changed at AS for me. I do the reformed As chemistry and it was tough. I envoy Organic and Inorganic chemistry but Physical chemistry is the bane of my life. There are LOADS of key words and equations to learn, it's unreal.

My advice however is to literally do a bit of revision every day for your subjects. Do lots of past papers and it' okay to have a breakdown ( or 2) throughout the year. Just keep at it

I agree with and physical chemistry is mostly maths so yes there will be equations. Although as long as you know those equations shouldn't be too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by an_r
so i picked my a-level options today and i decided to go with chemistry even though it's not my absolute top subject.

I'm not terrible at it but it's not my strongest. I got a B/A for my GCSE's in Chemistry (i received 2 grades for double science).

What do you think my predicted would be in Chemistry for AS if I work at a GCSE A grade?

I need chemistry for a lot of the uni options i want to do but i decided to just keep it at AS level as that's the most they'll require. Anyone else who did Chemistry with an A at GCSE please help!

also, if anyone does AQA chemistry (the new spec) what is it like compared to gcse?

I know several people who got A in GCSE Chemistry and went on to get AS grades varying from A's to D's.

It depends a lot on how much time you're prepared to put in understanding the concepts!
(edited 7 years ago)
I failed GCSE chemistry still got a C at A2 :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by +++++
Hey, I also got an A in GCSE Chemistry and I quite enjoyed it at GCSE but that all changed at AS for me. I do the reformed As chemistry and it was tough. I envoy Organic and Inorganic chemistry but Physical chemistry is the bane of my life. There are LOADS of key words and equations to learn, it's unreal!

However if you need it for the degree you'd like tot do at Uni, to be honest you don't really have a choice but to stick with it because doing chemistry will definitely put you at an advantage when it comes to getting into your subject degree and university.

I know what you mean! I feel like all I did during each exam was have a mini breakdown.

Although you found it tough, was it still enjoyable?
Reply 9
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
I agree with and physical chemistry is mostly maths so yes there will be equations. Although as long as you know those equations shouldn't be too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there a lot of equations and were they easy to learn or not?
Reply 10
Original post by I am Kira
I failed GCSE chemistry still got a C at A2 :smile:

What are your revision tips?!
I got an A* in chemistry this year :biggrin: Just started revising for alevels and I;m already annoyed with my ocr textbook because a lot of the topics are jumbled up and dont folow the spec in order and it also misses out a few formulas which are vital e.g, RAM formula. So make sure you use the spec along with the textbooks :smile: Also I agree with the fact that you need to understand the stuff first or else your going to misinterpret the info and get it all wrong + your less likely to rememeber it. It takes me about 10-14 mins to understand the concepts cuz they are badly explained in my opinion but its bearable :wink: IMO
A* GCSE, exceptionally low A at AS, a high A* for A2.

Chemistry A level is hard and pinickity but if you learn your definitions, nail your calculations (seriously - if you don't do maths you need to WORK on your maths!!), then learn the actual content and nail it. It's a level; you'll have to work much harder than GCSE to get anywhere near an A.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest