The Student Room Group

remark for 2ums?

It's basically the title, i was 2 ums from an A* in edexcel a level maths, should I bother getting a remark even though I got into Bristol for economics and fianance? My grades were AAB in maths, eco, and biology respectively. The only reason why I am considering this is because I'm afraid AAB will affect my future career prospects. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiengoku
It's basically the title, i was 2 ums from an A* in edexcel a level maths, should I bother getting a remark even though I got into Bristol for economics and fianance? My grades were AAB in maths, eco, and biology respectively. The only reason why I am considering this is because I'm afraid AAB will affect my future career prospects. Thanks.

How will your grades affect it? If you got into your firm uni and are working towards a degree, I don't see how a difference between an A and A* matters.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
How will your grades affect it? If you got into your firm uni and are working towards a degree, I don't see how a difference between an A and A* matters.

Don't some graduate positions ask for specific A level grades?
Don't some graduate positions ask for specific A level grades?

I think some do, but even in that regard do you think an employer would reject you solely based on the fact that one of your grades might not match up? An A* at that. Not worth it in my opinion and it doesn't seem realistic
Reply 4
I think some do, but even in that regard do you think an employer would reject you solely based on the fact that one of your grades might not match up? An A* at that. Not worth it in my opinion and it doesn't seem realistic

What do you mean? Not realistic as in it won't go up or not realistic that they will care?

Not much to lose, to be honest. Maybe a few bob but unless you're bordering 480 UMS then... :dontknow: not sure how likely it is to go up though.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Not much to lose, to be honest. Maybe a few bob but unless you're bordering 480 UMS then... :dontknow: not sure how likely it is to go up though.

I got 524 UMS, do you think it's worth it?
What do you mean? Not realistic as in it won't go up or not realistic that they will care?

Both for that matter. Maths mark schemes are strict so I'm not sure how much of a chance you'd have to get 1 extra UMS let alone 2. But go for it if you want.
Both for that matter. Maths mark schemes are strict so I'm not sure how much of a chance you'd have to get 1 extra UMS let alone 2. But go for it if you want.

Tbf, 2 UMS is just 1 mark in pretty much all cases.
Reply 9
Dont do it because there will be a high chance of losing some marks that you were awarded before, lowering your mark and possibly your grade! I wouldnt risk it, an A or a B is great and unis wipl favour this:smile:.
Reply 10
Original post by NeverLucky
Tbf, 2 UMS is just 1 mark in pretty much all cases.

Think it's worth it?
Original post by JSC16
Dont do it because there will be a high chance of losing some marks that you were awarded before, lowering your mark and possibly your grade! I wouldnt risk it, an A or a B is great and unis wipl favour this:smile:.

Pretty sure if you get a lower mark on your remark then that remark is discarded and your grade stays. Also, he's way too far up the A grade to lose enough marks for a B.
Think it's worth it?

Why not, I spent ÂŁ120 to get all my A2 Physics exams remarked to try get 1 UMS for an A* haha. Depends if you're willing to spend the money I suppose.
Reply 13
Why not, I spent ÂŁ120 to get all my A2 Physics exams remarked to try get 1 UMS for an A* haha. Depends if you're willing to spend the money I suppose.

haha did you get the A* in the end?
haha did you get the A* in the end?

Haven't got the mark back yet. It wasn't a priority remark so it'll take up to a month to get it but hopefully it does go up hahaha.
Reply 15
Haven't got the mark back yet. It wasn't a priority remark so it'll take up to a month to get it but hopefully it does go up hahaha.

haha I see, I see, well I hope that it does go up and you are lucky for once!
Reply 16
Pretty sure if you get a lower mark on your remark then that remark is discarded and your grade stays. Also, he's way too far up the A grade to lose enough marks for a B.

No. When you get a remark what you got in that is updated no matter what it is. I got 3 ums of an A in geography and im proud of that B. I wouldnt take the risk cus there is the chance of getting docked a few marks, and they usually never tend to change. Its a gamble, i wouldnt do it:redface:.
Original post by JSC16
No. When you get a remark what you got in that is updated no matter what it is. I got 3 ums of an A in geography and im proud of that B. I wouldnt take the risk cus there is the chance of getting docked a few marks, and they usually never tend to change. Its a gamble, i wouldnt do it:redface:.

What difference is there if it does get docked a few marks? It'll still be a B unless you specifically care about your UMS percentage which very few people do unless they're applying to Cambridge.
Reply 18
What difference is there if it does get docked a few marks? It'll still be a B unless you specifically care about your UMS percentage which very few people do unless they're applying to Cambridge.

Its importamt because if the grade boundaries are quite tight , then there is a very high risk of dropping down in a grade especially in maths. And yes you are right about cambridge. I dont know why were talking about this , an A is excellent in my book you shouldnt risk it unless you were really expecting that A*. If you decide to have a remark , good luck.
Original post by JSC16
Its importamt because if the grade boundaries are quite tight , then there is a very high risk of dropping down in a grade especially in maths. And yes you are right about cambridge. I dont know why were talking about this , an A is excellent in my book you shouldnt risk it unless you were really expecting that A*. If you decide to have a remark , good luck.

Yeah this argument is pretty mute lol. But I doubt it'll change that much if at all - Maths has one of the most objective marking possible.

Quick Reply