The Student Room Group

Men, do/would you feel comfortable about moving into your girlfriend/wife's home?

**Girls can share their experiences too**

I'm not talking about living with her parents, I meant if she had her own flat and then started or was dating you and you got serious and wanted to live together and she said I can't move, this is my home and its close to my workplace and family and if you want us to live together you have to move in with me.

Questions are would you do it if you loved her enough even if it meant you'd have to travel a bit far to reach your work place? What do you think of a woman whose conditions are that, some couples prefer choosing a different place together so would you like the fact that she saved you the hassle of having to search for a home and buy furniture? also would you feel comfortable moving into her home or is it intimidating? and I know this is probably a dumb question but would you still offer to pay towards the rent and everything?

Just wondering because I'm ready to start dating again and this one guy that my friends are trying to set me up with is apparently perfect for me but he lives in Essex and I'm happily secure in my flat here in London. yeah its early days and i'm obviously getting too ahead of myself but i'd just like to know for hypothetical reasons...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm a guy, but with a guy. Our plan is I'll move in to a flat he'll be renting once I finish my degree. He's finishing his MA in September while I'm going to be repeating my 2nd year. He's already working full time, and has an interview for a promotion tomorrow (fingers crossed). He's currently looking for a shared flat with some friends, but he doesn't plan to last long there. I'll be moving from my home town of Leamington to Milton Keynes, his home town, but our draft plan is to live there anyway as we love the area.
Reply 2
No
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
I'm a guy, but with a guy. Our plan is I'll move in to a flat he'll be renting once I finish my degree. He's finishing his MA in September while I'm going to be repeating my 2nd year. He's already working full time, and has an interview for a promotion tomorrow (fingers crossed). He's currently looking for a shared flat with some friends, but he doesn't plan to last long there. I'll be moving from my home town of Leamington to Milton Keynes, his home town, but our draft plan is to live there anyway as we love the area.

bless, thats so nice :h:
I would as to be fair I have my car ready at the end of a phone but I'd have to be in the London airport zone
Not in a million years.
Reply 6
Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Not in a million years.

Because you want wifey to move into your parents house??
Original post by yungaheartz
Men, do/would you feel comfortable about moving into your girlfriend/wife's home?

The truth is that most men might be a little intimidated. It takes a lot of maturity and commitment to move in with a girl, let alone to her own place. But for the right lady a guy can set his ego aside. Many would then be more comfortable if you agreed that that's now your(plural) place together, and yes, that means helping with rent, as well as other things.
But be wary of a guy who agrees to move in without having at least some reservations. If he doesn't hesitate at all, then he's probably immature, spineless, or worse, just a bum that happened around your way
Reply 8
Strangely I would feel a little vulnerable and uncomfortable about it. This said if the relationship was right I don't think it would be an issue.
Original post by ELVsLP
Because you want wifey to move into your parents house??

Don't want that either, that would be awkward as hell. But I'd rather do that than move into her place or anything to do with her parents. I don't do matrilocal residence.
Reply 10
Don't want that either, that would be awkward as hell. But I'd rather do that than move into her place or anything to do with her parents. I don't do matrilocal residence.

lol good luck with that
Reply 11
My girlfriend moved into mine last year and we talked about me moving the other way. I was completely fine with that but just decided on mine due to location and us both preferring it.

If you're ready to move in together, it shouldn't be an issue for a guy to be moving into his girlfriend's in my opinion.
Original post by ELVsLP
lol good luck with that

Why would I wanna risk being homeless if my relationship breaks up? Why would I want to live in place I know isn't mine?
Hell no, I'm would never move away from my place of work and pay you rent, it's like you're trying to be my mother, except my actual mum is much nicer so you're like an evil stepmom.
Original post by 41b
No

Care to elaborate why?
Why would I wanna risk being homeless if my relationship breaks up? Why would I want to live in place I know isn't mine?

Well same applies to her, why would she?
Original post by The Sexathlete
Hell no, I'm would never move away from my place of work and pay you rent, it's like you're trying to be my mother, except my actual mum is much nicer so you're like an evil stepmom.

wow... okaaay!
it wouldnt bother me at all tbf. Depends on the practicalities of me moving in with her or her moving in with me (i have my own place)
Reply 18
I once had a short term boyfriend who moved down from Coventry to live with me.

It only lasted 3 months but thats because we rushed into our relationship, not because of our living arrangements

Your question is similar to would you move to a different country for someone. To some people its absurd but we all know that there have been people who have moved across the globe for the one they love. Some will, some won't. All that should matter to you is will the guy you are being set up with move for you?

And if you really don't want to leave your home (and he ends up not wanting to leave his) then find someone who does want you enough to move into your place. You shouldn't have to give up what you want. Women were always the ones making the sacrifices, about time men made some for us.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yungaheartz
Well same applies to her, why would she?

It does, but that would be her problem now wouldn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending