The Student Room Group

Should I take chemistry English lit of philosophy??

So far at Alevel I'm taking biology maths and psychology but I have to choose 4 subjects should I take chemistry, English lit or philosophy please tell me what you think
Original post by Sophie mac
x

Which do you enjoy more/ feel would help you the most in future with degrees/ careers?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Matrix123
Which do you enjoy more/ feel would help you the most in future with degrees/ careers?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Problem is I don't have a clue
Which one will you get the best grade in?
Which one are you most interested in?
What degree do you wnat to do?
What career do you want?
Problem is I don't have a clue

Fair enough, I'd personally go for chemistry because it seems to go well with your other options, in my mind.

However, if you feel a more essay based subject would be best then one of the other two would be better. Which out of English literature and philosophy would you prefer? Consider the workload too. I'm only starting sixth form in September so I'm not speaking from experience. English looks very difficult to me but appears to be a rewardable subject. Unless if you have a strong passion for philosophy, and if you want a more essay based subject, I'd go for English literature.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Which one will you get the best grade in?
Which one are you most interested in?
What degree do you wnat to do?
What career do you want?

Thing is I enjoy them equally and id get about the same grade in each I want to do psychology and become a neuropsychologist so English could help (but I enjoy philosophy a bit more) and I could become a psychiatrist if I did chemistry
Thing is I enjoy them equally and id get about the same grade in each I want to do psychology and become a neuropsychologist so English could help (but I enjoy philosophy a bit more) and I could become a psychiatrist if I did chemistry

Definitely do Chemistry then. :h:
Reply 7
Fair enough, I'd personally go for chemistry because it seems to go well with your other options, in my mind.

However, if you feel a more essay based subject would be best then one of the other two would be better. Which out of English literature and philosophy would you prefer? Consider the workload too. I'm only starting sixth form in September so I'm not speaking from experience. English looks very difficult to me but appears to be a rewardable subject. Unless if you have a strong passion for philosophy, and if you want a more essay based subject, I'd go for English literature.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry could help me get into uni
English would help me improve essay skills which I've heard you need for psychology (which is what I want to do)
And I just really like the look of philosophy even though it wouldn't help me all that much i think
Chemistry could help me get into uni
English would help me improve essay skills which I've heard you need for psychology (which is what I want to do)
And I just really like the look of philosophy even though it wouldn't help me all that much i think

Well it's a matter of choosing if you want to go for something you enjoy or instead, something that'll help you by other means. After reading this, I'd say go for English. Maybe double check that this is required for psychology. Even so, it appears to be beneficial. Hoe would you feel about taking that as your fourth option? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well it's a matter of choosing if you want to go for something you enjoy or instead, something that'll help you by other means. After reading this, I'd say go for English. Maybe double check that this is required for psychology. Even so, it appears to be beneficial. Hoe would you feel about taking that as your fourth option? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

English is something that is suggested for psychology but maths biology chemistry and the likes are some of the things that are listed as a must haves if your taking psychology so I'm really not sure what to do
English is something that is suggested for psychology but maths biology chemistry and the likes are some of the things that are listed as a must haves if your taking psychology so I'm really not sure what to do

Well, I'd suggest looking up requirements for the degree you want to take/ are thinking of taking to make sure the four options are acceptable. If the three you have chosen so far are must haves, I see little to no problem with you taking philosophy as your fourth subject - this seems to be the one you enjoy the most. :smile:
if you like all 3 pick chemistry, if you are good at science but you dont like chemistry pick something that blends arts and sciences, but dont for the love of god pick a pure humanities.
If you want to be a psychiatrist, you'll need to do medicine, so chemistry is a must
If you want to be a psychiatrist you'll need to do medicine, so chemistry is a must

Quick Reply

Latest