The Student Room Group

New to the gym, how do I learn the exercises

Hi guys

Im going to start the gym next week and I am unsure of whether or not to get a personal trainer for a session or two to show me how to do the lifts with good form (my main concerns are bench, squat and deadlift) but I read on the faq here and a few other places that they are a waste of money/time and I should just use online resources (Also I have no idea how to tell if the personal trainers are good at my uni gym or not tbh)

My question is how did you go about teaching yourself the movements in the program you decided to do?

I have watched several youtube videos on all the exercises and read the stronglifts article on the compound exercises (though I wont be doing the stronglifts program) but is there anything else you suggest doing before diving in on monday?

If its of any relevance to this post, I have chosen the do the fierce 5 novice full body program and I'll also be going on my own if I dont get a personal trainer

Thanks for any help :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by madmadmax321
Hi guys

Im going to start the gym next week and I am unsure of whether or not to get a personal trainer for a session or two to show me how to do the lifts with good form (my main concerns are bench, squat and deadlift) but I read on the faq here and a few other places that they are a waste of money/time and I should just use online resources (Also I have no idea how to tell if the personal trainers are good at my uni gym or not tbh)

My question is how did you go about teaching yourself the movements in the program you decided to do?

I have watched several youtube videos on all the exercises and read the stronglifts article on the compound exercises (though I wont be doing the stronglifts program) but is there anything else you suggest doing before diving in on monday?

If its of any relevance to this post, I have chosen the do the fierce 5 novice full body program and I'll also be going on my own if I dont get a personal trainer

I'd agree that getting a personal trainer is a waste of money. I've been going for the past year and managed just fine. You'll probably get an induction on how to use the machines anyway.

As for teaching yourself, online resources are great but obviously you'll figure it out better once you start doing the movements yourself. Your form is bound to be a little 'off' when you first start though, due to muscle imbalances and inexperience. Just remember to not lift heavy straight away so you can ace the form first.

Hope this helps a little, good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Filming yourself is so important. What it feels like and what you are actually doing can be a but unrelated. Do set, watch, tweak form as needed, repeat during workout. Note any things are aren't sure of, look them back up when you get home, write notes to yourself as needed for next session. When in doubt post your videos here for feedback- actually when new, just do this after a few sessions anyway since you less know what to watch for
Original post by madmadmax321
Hi guys

Watching videos should be fine for most lifts. I would strongly recommend asking somebody at the gym (doesn't have to be a personal trainer - I used to ask other lifters in the gym who clearly knew what they were doing) to show you how to squat, deadlift, row and bench press

Quick Reply

Latest