The Student Room Group

living off £17 a week and NOT dying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Convex
I can live off £5 a week confortable.

As long as you have a source of water (tap), 2kg of rice (£3), and sauce (£2), then you're fine. You can't even eat that much rice anyway.

If you live like that for more than a couple of days you're going to end up paying the difference in vitamin prescriptions and trips to A&E.
If you definitely have money coming in, get a student account and overdraw. Then pay back when it's back.
Reply 22
Gamble it, get rich or die stravin while tryin
go to the discount section in shops everyday, you know the food that is close to its sell-by date so they seriously lower the price to like 30-40p, maximum a pound

I've done that many times in the past, its amazing what you can find there. they have everything from frozen meals and sandwiches to huge desserts and bottles of coke. people just avoid it out of snobbery or fear that they might become ill just because its not fresh
but the food has always been fresh for me
Reply 24
Definitely cook big batches of stuff and freeze it. A big pot of chilli doesn't cost much more than a small one, but you can get several portions out of it. Then you could have six weeks of chilli for e.g. Mondays... Do the same with spag bol, soup, a couple of different stew s/casseroles and that's five out of seven evening meals sorted for that time. Just add some carbs which you can buy in bulk very cheaply. You can also have pasta with a cheap jar of sauce or frozen batches of sauce, meat and veg, pasta bake, stir fry. You can cook fresh meals you aren't gonna freeze together with your flatmates which will be cheaper too. And leftovers can provide a change for lunch.

Then you can have sandwiches or cheese/beans/egg on toast etc for lunch and cereal for breakfast, with a little fruit and some veg on the side (carrots, apples, oranges, tomatoes, cucumber) and some cheap snacks like crisps from discount stores, basics biscuits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Accidental double post, can't delete on app ><
(edited 7 years ago)
get a small job for a few hours a week and you then have say an extra £30 for more food and your other things.
I seriously can't believe you're thinking about alcohol. Is it really that necessary? With £17 I would recommend eating mainly fruit and vegetables as its meat which makes your shopping more expensive. Also, buy your shopping at places like Aldi.
work out a budget for your whole year (and remember that you will want SOME money during the holidays) and use that... this what your student oeverdraft is for - when cash flow doesn't work, you have enough for the whole year (although it may still be tight) it's just not going to come through when you need it, so use your overdraft with the knowledge that you may be a few hundred overdrawn at the start of term 3 but you will pay that back during the term
God and I thought I was in a bad position iwth £100 per week after deducting from rent (catered halls).
Reply 31
One note, a lot of people are saying about using your overdraft to bring the extra from term three across to the other terms. Many people use a student overdraft and pay it off after graduation, which is fine if you want to. But do bear in mind that the extra is given in the last term as it has to cover a longer period. In addition you'll likely be moving which will mean you'll need to find a deposit for your new place, plus other moving costs like insurance, tv license, set up fees for internet etc. Just don't forget about those as they may affect you ability to pay the overdraft off this year (which, as I said, is fine if you're cool with that).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
A mate of mine ate for £1 per day, including the cost of energy for cooking which he meticulously calculated, to prove it could be done. Just brush up on your baking, soup making and rice eating skills. This will leave you money for a piss up at the SU.
Original post by beeconcerned
Worked out that i will have £17 a week in my first two terms because of the way my loan comes in (last term i have £97 which is annoying)Dont have any saved up and parents arent rich enough to help me out hardly at all. Obviously have applied for jobs and waiting to hear back on that but for now i have just £17.So basically, how do i do this without dying and maybe still have money for booze??? seriously freaking out right now.

Look up www.studentjobs on google or it's easier to get jobs if you sign up with lots of employment agencies on the high street like Reed, etc and online sign up with Reed, CV Library, Monster, Indeed.
I saw some really interesting jobs on Indeed where you don't need experience as they are willing to train people for voice over work, writing children's books, etc but when i sent my cv no one replied back and when i tried to look up the address and phone number i could not find it. So it was too good to be true because i would prefer to do interesting jobs as i hated doing retail and other low paid jobs.
If you type Star Now on google that is a website that pays people for doing film extra work, etc and look up Capital Casting that pays anyone to do commercials, film extras, etc. Some jobs pay £100 for one days work.
Reply 34
Original post by Zarek
A mate of mine ate for £1 per day, including the cost of energy for cooking which he meticulously calculated, to prove it could be done. Just brush up on your baking, soup making and rice eating skills. This will leave you money for a piss up at the SU.

Just how could anyone live on £1 a day what did they live on Noodles?
Don't constantly waste money on booze/cigs and you can quite easily eat well on £17 a week

My average shop is £20 a week and that's not even budgeting, oats/bread/chicken/veggies are really not expensive.

I'm not a barbarian so I don't freeze my bread, if I have any leftovers from cooking the day before it all gets thrown into an omelette/stir fry.
(edited 7 years ago)
My friend is at uni and she gets her parents to bring up cases of toilet rolls & kitchen stuff etc every time they come up :smile: x
Also use roll up cigarettes instead of proper ones and try to get people to buy them for you when they go on holiday so it's cheaper (if you smoke).
(edited 7 years ago)
Worked out that i will have £17 a week in my first two terms because of the way my loan comes in (last term i have £97 which is annoying)Dont have any saved up and parents arent rich enough to help me out hardly at all. Obviously have applied for jobs and waiting to hear back on that but for now i have just £17.So basically, how do i do this without dying and maybe still have money for booze??? seriously freaking out right now.

Santander will give you a £1,500 overdraft, assuming you have three ten week terms (I have no idea if you have that but we did at my uni) that's an extra £50 a week, so £67. a week you can live off.

Also apply to go on the electoral roll if you haven't already, you won't get an overdraft anywhere otherwise.

17 a week is not hard imo if you stick to food and supermarket brands (btw, alcohol/sweets/etc does not qualify as food :wink: ). Some TSRians on here have survived on 10 a week or even on £5 a week :0. With 17 a week, you can afford to eat and stay healthy but you will be drinking only water.
Really like the ideas on here - especially the breakfast of oats, honey and banana. A good lunch, or tea is omelet buy 15 eggs at aldi for $1.25 - good value and will really fill you - buy frozen veggies - like peas to add to omelet or use any left over veg (if you have any) - buy parmesan cheese - again from aldi $2.30 - seems expensive but lasts and lasts and adds quite a bit of flavour to omelet without using a lot. Although you wouldn't do it all the time - you can add any left overs to the omelet like potatoes - dry fried, or onions, mushrooms, peppers, Two eggs, peas and a bit of cheese will give you a good shot of protein.

Def go to shops when they are reducing things - Tescos seem to reduce all day but big reductions come around 6:30 - 7pm, don't be afraid to hang around and wait. search 'frugal queen cornwall' - she does really good recipes for very frugal food.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending