The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Could I get into investment banking after completing my masters in pharmacy?

I may be wrong but I have heard the main thing is to get into a top 10 uni,(Durham is 5th) and have a level maths which i have at an A grade

Scroll to see replies

well...that career choice escalated quickly.

0 to 100 real quick.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by money-for-all
well...that career choice escalated quickly.

0 to 100 real quick.

What do u mean?
Reply 3
Original post by blessed107
I may be wrong but I have heard the main thing is to get into a top 10 uni,(Durham is 5th) and have a level maths which i have at an A grade

Yes, it is possible to get into banking from Durham.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Trapz99
Yes, it is possible

So what would I need to do next after completing my degree to pursue a career in IB? Like internships or ?
What do u mean?

when you not your head yes, but you wanna say no...
Reply 6
So what would I need to do next after completing my degree to pursue a career in IB? Like internships or ?

No, you need to apply for Spring week internships in your first year of uni, then if you do well on those you can get an offer for a summer internship. Then if you do well on that you will get offered a full time job.

You can also choose to just apply for summer internships in your second year but the spring weeks can help and won't do you any harm.

Since it's very hard to get an internship, you'll have to have extracurricular activities (sports/music/volunteering/starting a business/committee position in a society) and do your research into the industry and what roles you want to apply to (IBD (product or coverage), sales, trading or research).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Trapz99
No, you need to apply for Spring week internships in your first year of uni, then if you do well on those you can get an offer for a summer internship. Then if you do well on that you will get offered a full time job.

You can also choose to just apply for summer internships in your second year but the spring weeks can help and won't do you any harm.

Thanks so much for this feed back, do u think I would I have a good chance securing those internships? I have great GCSEs , ABB at a level including science and maths , and I am at a top uni, would that put me in a good position? What other factors determine whether or not I secure thoseinternship
I also play sports and represented many footbal clubs in London, and I plan to continue playing for the university team and also secure a committee role at many societies if possible
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks so much for this feed back, do u think I would I have a good chance securing those internships? I have great GCSEs , ABB at a level including science and maths , and I am at a top uni, would that put me in a good position? What other factors determine whether or not I secure thoseinternship

Hi, I updated my post slightly ^

Durham is a semi-targeted university for banking so you'd have a good chance of getting in if you make sure that you do extracurricular activities that show your leadership, teamwork and communication skills.
Reply 9
Original post by Trapz99
Hi, I updated my post slightly ^

Durham is a semi-targeted university for banking so you'd have a good chance of getting in if you make sure that you do extracurricular activities that show your leadership, teamwork and communication skills.

Thanks again I will be sure to try participate at all those extracircular activities u have mentioned. I have one last question it possible I could apply to most jobs In other areas of business and management ipeven if I don't have a business degree? Would my uni get me into most places?
“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett

Why IB? And don't say money.
Thanks again I will be sure to try participate at all those extracircular activities u have mentioned. I have one last question it possible I could apply to most jobs In other areas of business and management ipeven if I don't have a business degree? Would my uni get me into most places?

You don't need to do all those extracurricular activities, just one or two. Yes, you can apply to other jobs in business and management but you'll need to be a competitive applicant for any job you apply to- by that, I mean you need to show communication, teamwork, leadership and other skills through extracurricular activities and maybe work experience. Your university name won't get into any job by itself- you need to show the soft skills that employers want as well. Definitely emphasise your university sports stuff on your CV as that will show those skills.
(edited 7 years ago)
There will be a very very steep learning curve, given the background you have, however you are smart enough to learn.
You will need to get quickly versed in basic macroeconomics, statistics and portfolio theory.

You will also need to explain why you want to go into banking (after doing pharmacy). Though your skills would be useful if say
a bank was market making for pharmaceutical firms. You probably have a good idea of the drugs in the market.
Reply 13
Original post by momoneyme89
“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett

Why IB? And don't say money.

Because I love the competitivenes to get in and exceland being able to take high risk decisions and of course the money , and the fact they live like kings high up in their offices
There will be a very very steep learning curve, given the background you have, however you are smart enough to learn.
You will need to get quickly versed in basic macroeconomics, statistics and portfolio theory.

You will also need to explain why you want to go into banking (after doing pharmacy). Though your skills would be useful if say
a bank was market making for pharmaceutical firms. You probably have a good idea of the drugs in the market.

He doesn't need to learn statistics and portfolio theory to get into IBD. Banks don't care what degree subject you do. He won't be at a disadvantage and he just needs to learn what an investment banker does on a day to day basis, what's going on in the business world (reading FT, the economist, news) and some basic excel skills.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
He doesn't need to learn statistics and portfolio to get into IBD. Banks don't care what degree subject you do.

He will have to learn it sooner or later. Risk management is statistics. Portfolio theory is the core of Prop Trading in IBs.

Heck everyone should know Portfolio theory, you can manage your own assets than rather getting 0.1% from your bank account.

I manage £25K of my own money in the markets
Because I love the competitivenes to get in and exceland being able to take high risk decisions and of course the money , and the fact they live like kings high up in their offices

I take high risk decisions as well, and it messes with my head at times.

During brexit, I watched the financial markets collapse, I saw Barclays stock open 30% down. I thought we were in meltdown. Panic selling causes more panic selling, as stop losses are triggered leading to carnage.

I have invested 25K in the financial markets, you will find when you put that sort of money in, you go through highs and lows you will have never experienced before. Therefore very important to manage your risk well. Never trade on leverage if you can, if the trade goes against you, the pain is horrible.

I invest though, don't trade, quite a difference.
Reply 17
I take high risk decisions as well, and it messes with my head at times.

During brexit, I watched the financial markets collapse, I saw Barclays stock open 30% down. I thought we were in meltdown. Panic selling causes more panic selling, as stop losses are triggered leading to carnage.

I have invested 25K in the financial markets, you will find when you put that sort of money in, you go through highs and lows you will have never experienced before. Therefore very important to manage your risk well. Never trade on leverage if you can, if the trade goes against you, the pain is horrible.

I invest though, don't trade, quite a difference.

Okay apart from IB coukd I get into most jobs even without having a degree In that particular field
I want to have as many options open as possible
He will have to learn it sooner or later. Risk management is statistics. Portfolio theory is the core of Prop Trading in IBs.

Heck everyone should know Portfolio theory, you can manage your own assets than rather getting 0.1% from your bank account.

I manage £25K of my own money in the markets

OP is talking about investment banking. That has literally nothing to do with managing money in the markets. Investment bankers help companies to raise capital (either through DCM or ECM) or merge or acquire other companies. He does not need to know statistics or portfolio theory for that.
Okay apart from IB coukd I get into most jobs even without having a degree In that particular field
I want to have as many options open as possible

Don't listen to that guy. Banks don't care what degree you do and you don't need to know any advanced maths or financial concepts- you just need to know what a banker does. You can get into pretty much any business job without a business degree.

Quick Reply

Latest