The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So many butt hurt bitter people bashing medicine are talking out of their ass...
Original post by Mrs House
So many butt hurt bitter people bashing medicine are talking out of their ass...

Sounds like someone is salty...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Most doctors don't get all A*.

In fact, a lot of doctors in practice don't have any A* , as it wasn't available to them.

Out of those that did have it available, I estimate probably 1/10 of them do - at the most.

ok so if it wasn't available to them then your statement was just a waste of time them
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just fed up of people bashing my future profession without knowing a single thing.
Just fed up of people bashing my future profession without knowing a single thing.

Indeed, the last 8 months as an HCA and the 8 months of various work experience before that must have been a figment of my imagination. The strange thing is you haven't worked as a doctor either. 😉

And to start it all, all I did was to suggest medicine might be overrated in terms of intellectual difficulty.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Indeed, the last 8 months as an HCA and the 8 months of various work experience before that must have been a figment of my imagination. The strange thing is you haven't worked as a doctor either. 😉

And to start it all, all I did was to suggest medicine might be overrated in terms of intellectual difficulty.

You have so much time to mouth off about a profession. And that's not all you did...

I don't give a **** about your HCA days. No I haven't worked as a doctor but I certainly know more about the course, the job and the intellectuality of medicine.
Don't go talking about something you have no direct experience of.

It's ok for you to state something and back it up with facts but you're just ********ting
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh medicine students work very hard in their degree to care for society and save people's lives and they deserve respect, not people telling them that their degree is overrated
(edited 7 years ago)
You have so much time to mouth off about a profession. And that's not all you did...

I don't give a **** about your HCA days. No I haven't worked as a doctor but I certainly know more about the course, the job and the intellectuality of medicine.
Don't go talking about something you have no direct experience of.

It's ok for you to state something and back it up with facts but you're just ********ting

Loads of time, especially on a nightshift. I said I studied towards the USMLE. Probably more than you have ever done.

But of course you got into med school so you know better right? This "you can't judge us attitude as you know nothing" is typical arrogant doctor material.
Reply 268
Super true about the health care experience. In England, end of life in care home is hell on earth especially if you do not have enough money to get a better home. Ive seen bad practice from some of my colleague, the youth like me. I had 0 experience, I looked for myself about dementia...etc. Gave up 3 weeks later.
Original post by KatieBlogger

Never a met a single PPE student who isn't a complete snob who thinks they're on a ticket to be a politician, without any other life experience.

Given that parliament is full to the brim with Oxford PPE grads without any other life experience that's probably not ridiculous.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the thread, I knew people would be bashing medicine, law etc, saying how medicine is actually easy and whatnot. Seems that a number of people on this forum have a chip on their shoulder.

If anything, medicine is often underrated irl. All you hear about is how 'if money is what you want, don't do medicine / doctors are worked too hard / too much student debt / X number of people drop out'. It's more common for people say that medicine is overrated than to actually overrate medicine.

What I think is that medicine is very interesting, allows you to make a direct positive impact on the lives of others and is a stable, well-paid career path. There are drawbacks to the career, as with any other, but I'm extremely excited to start medical school in a few weeks.
My degree, feels like the borderline not STEM degree.
Loads of time, especially on a nightshift. I said I studied towards the USMLE. Probably more than you have ever done.

But of course you got into med school so you know better right? This "you can't judge us attitude as you know nothing" is typical arrogant doctor material.

Listen to me. No one cares about your USMLE. You think that makes you better than me.

I'm not arrogant I'm just calling you out: you have a huge chip on your shoulder and tbh I think you're jealous. Why don't you start bashing nursing instead since they're also similar
Original post by dairychocolate
Yeah, as soon as I saw the thread, I knew people would be bashing medicine, law etc, saying how medicine is actually easy and whatnot. Seems that a number of people on this forum have a chip on their shoulder.

If anything, medicine is often underrated irl. All you hear about is how 'if money is what you want, don't do medicine / doctors are worked too hard / too much student debt / X number of people drop out'. It's more common for people say that medicine is overrated than to actually overrate medicine.

What I think is that medicine is very interesting, allows you to make a direct positive impact on the lives of others and is a stable, well-paid career path. There are drawbacks to the career, as with any other, but I'm extremely excited to start medical school in a few weeks.

You'll enjoy it I promise! :biggrin: there's lows and highs but more highs haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Any degree that used to be, and still should be, on the job training. 3 expensive years of jumping through unnecessary hoops just to start at a point you could have started from school is a waste of resources.

Also, I really hope medicine is overrated in terms of difficulty because I start soon. Following on from what other people have said, I do think you have to be kind of arrogant to even apply. You're basically demonstrating that you think you're smart enough to solve problems against a clock and if the timer runs out or you mess up it's death/pain/disfigurement for another human. And suddenly pathology appeals most.
Listen to me. No one cares about your USMLE. You think that makes you better than me.

I'm not arrogant I'm just calling you out: you have a huge chip on your shoulder and tbh I think you're jealous. Why don't you start bashing nursing instead since they're also similar

Again, typical doctor attitude, I'm not saying anything in terms of I'm better than anyone just that studying toward the USMLE gives me a decent experience of medical curriculums that you might lack. Nor am I jealous of you. You are entirely welcome to your medical career and its restrictions on your life and a hierarchy that I could never tolerate 😉

As for nursing, don't get me started. Some nurses are great prople, others are just the worst with little in between. I've done parts of a nursing degree for others, and yes it's really easy in comparison to more academic degrees. Way easier than medicine even.
I'd say that the most overrated degrees are probably STEM degrees, Medicine and Law.

Now, this is not to say that they are bad subjects, or even that I have an issue with people doing them, they're perfectly great subjects. The thing is, in my experience, pretty much everyone at my secondary school wanted to go into these subjects, not because they are particularly interested in them, but because our school provided no support if you wanted to do anything else, so most people thought that they were the only options. Heck, one of my friends who wanted to go into Media, and admitted he still does, suddenly decided that he wants to be a paramedic, even though he hates Biology and finds medical things pretty gross, all because he was taught that anything aside from STEM, Medicine and Law are pointless, and he doesn't think he'd do well in STEM or Law.

Honestly, if teachers actually supported you doing the thing you enjoy as a degree, then there would be no overrated degrees. However, again in my experience, they kick you to the curb if you want to do anything aside from STEM, Medicine or Law, so everyone does them because they're lead to believe that they will have crap, unsuccessful lives otherwise. Plus, this also negatively impacts anyone who does legitimately have a passion for these subjects, because the subjects they take are seen as "overrated," which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad about them, but certainly has negative connotations. Perhaps, over-promoted (by teachers) would be the better word to use.
Again, typical doctor attitude, I'm not saying anything in terms of I'm better than anyone just that studying toward the USMLE gives me a decent experience of medical curriculums that you might lack. Nor am I jealous of you. You are entirely welcome to your medical career and its restrictions on your life and a hierarchy that I could never tolerate 😉

As for nursing, don't get me started. Some nurses are great prople, others are just the worst with little in between. I've done parts of a nursing degree for others, and yes it's really easy in comparison to more academic degrees. Way easier than medicine even.

If you had spoken against medicine like the person below I wouldn't have any problems as I agree with the post below.

I noticed you have GEM next to your name, did you apply to medicine then?
Oh don't worry, medicine won't have restrictions for the rest of my life, just a few years and that's it but it's worth it

Original post by Robinin
I'd say that the most overrated degrees are probably STEM degrees, Medicine and Law.

Now, this is not to say that they are bad subjects, or even that I have an issue with people doing them, they're perfectly great subjects. The thing is, in my experience, pretty much everyone at my secondary school wanted to go into these subjects, not because they are particularly interested in them, but because our school provided no support if you wanted to do anything else, so most people thought that they were the only options. Heck, one of my friends who wanted to go into Media, and admitted he still does, suddenly decided that he wants to be a paramedic, even though he hates Biology and finds medical things pretty gross, all because he was taught that anything aside from STEM, Medicine and Law are pointless, and he doesn't think he'd do well in STEM or Law.

Honestly, if teachers actually supported you doing the thing you enjoy as a degree, then there would be no overrated degrees. However, again in my experience, they kick you to the curb if you want to do anything aside from STEM, Medicine or Law, so everyone does them because they're lead to believe that they will have crap, unsuccessful lives otherwise. Plus, this also negatively impacts anyone who does legitimately have a passion for these subjects, because the subjects they take are seen as "overrated," which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad about them, but certainly has negative connotations. Perhaps, over-promoted (by teachers) would be the better word to use.
Reply 277
Medicine - people think that they're geniuses but really.. AAA and some social skills. Commendable on their vocation but maths, physics and chemistry not to mention degree level experimental physics - that takes brains. It takes a skill. Medicine is just biology10x harder and whilst my best friend is studying medicine I think that my friend studying physics is a lot more intelligent
Original post by 97Y
Medicine - people think that they're geniuses but really.. AAA and some social skills. Commendable on their vocation but maths, physics and chemistry not to mention degree level experimental physics - that takes brains. It takes a skill. Medicine is just biology10x harder and whilst my best friend is studying medicine I think that my friend studying physics is a lot more intelligent
Thank you. Finally! You can't compare medicine to STEM. The fact that they have a earlier deadline for UCAS applications is an indicator of how overrated it is. You aren't special people!
(edited 7 years ago)
If you had spoken against medicine like the person below I wouldn't have any problems as I agree with the post below.

I noticed you have GEM next to your name, did you apply to medicine then?
Oh don't worry, medicine won't have restrictions for the rest of my life, just a few years and that's it but it's worth it

Oh but that person doesn't actually say anything bad about medicine, is it not allowed?

It took you that long to notice the GEM after my username to fashion it into some kind of slur? Clearly you med students are really quick on the uptake.

I went down the path long enough to realise the stuff that I enjoy (lots of working out, the intellectual freedom to work on what I like and have my own opinions) mean far more to me than the benefits of a career in medicine.

The only way medicine doesn't restrict your life for around ten years is if you essentially drop off the treadmill, either by doing less than full time training or as a GP, or just by giving up. All of which are a bit of a waste of the investment in you (GP less so). Hey ho, there are plenty that swear allegiance to a medical career to get in then use the degree for their own ends.

Latest

Trending

Trending