The Student Room Group

Getting sad after breakup

I have two friends that I talk to about this but they're both busy so I'm going to vent on here and see if it makes me feel better. If anyone wants to do a good deed and PM me so I have someone to talk to that'd be pretty nice tbh. Or just comment on here or whatever.

So I room shared with my ex gf for a year in uni. Relationship started going downhill in the last few months. Tbh she was a real dickhead towards the end and she went n shagged two of my friends and did some nasty stuff. Proper lied about loads of stuff as well. Kept finding out new stuff she lied about everyday.

edit: But I met her when I was really depressed and she helped me loads for the first 5 months we were together and got me out of a really depressed state. Was going to a mental health clinic for a bit and she went with me n all sorts.

When I'm not living near London for uni I go back to Bristol, and in Bristol I have no friends and no life. I've been here for a month now (since the ex gf and I broke up) and all I do is go the gym to work out. And go skate about on my rollerblades. Today is one of my off days where I'm not doing any exercise and I'm feeling particularly sad today. When I'm working out it distracts me from it all. Then when I'm sat around I start getting all sad and disappointed. I miss her and I have feelings for her still. But I keep trying to remind myself about all the bad stuff she did and that I'm being stupid.

The main thing that's motivating me at the moment is going to the gym and trying to be productive with work for university (not done such a good job at the second part yet). I know that once I start uni again and start talking to more girls I'll feel much better. But it's taking soo long, uni doesn't start for another month and it's getting unbearable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
I have two friends that I talk to about this but they're both busy so I'm going to vent on here and see if it makes me feel better. If anyone wants to do a good deed and PM me so I have someone to talk to that'd be pretty nice tbh. Or just comment on here or whatever.

So I room shared with my ex gf for a year in uni. Relationship started going downhill in the last few months. Tbh she was a real dickhead towards the end and she went n shagged two of my friends and did some nasty stuff. Proper lied about loads of stuff as well. Kept finding out new stuff she lied about everyday.

edit: But I met her when I was really depressed and she helped me loads for the first 5 months we were together and got me out of a really depressed state. Was going to a mental health clinic for a bit and she went with me n all sorts.

When I'm not living near London for uni I go back to Bristol, and in Bristol I have no friends and no life. I've been here for a month now (since the ex gf and I broke up) and all I do is go the gym to work out. And go skate about on my rollerblades. Today is one of my off days where I'm not doing any exercise and I'm feeling particularly sad today. When I'm working out it distracts me from it all. Then when I'm sat around I start getting all sad and disappointed. I miss her and I have feelings for her still. But I keep trying to remind myself about all the bad stuff she did and that I'm being stupid.

The main thing that's motivating me at the moment is going to the gym and trying to be productive with work for university (not done such a good job at the second part yet). I know that once I start uni again and start talking to more girls I'll feel much better. But it's taking soo long, uni doesn't start for another month and it's getting unbearable.

I think it's good that you're trying to do stuff like skating and the gym. As i'm sure you're aware, exercise releases chemicals like endorphin which help make you happy. I personally find that it also helps release any anxiety I might be experiencing. In regards to going back to your girlfriend, it can be easy when your not particularly busy to over think things and dwell on a relationship that is maybe not that great.

Try and hold out for the rest of the summer. Maybe look into joining a glass at the gym to meet people or start a new tv series to distract yourself?

I'm sure once you're back with your mates in London you'll have a clearer idea about what to do.

Good luck :smile:
Are you chicken madness from broken alliances?
Original post by ChickenMadness

If at all possible mush, try and get out and meet some new girls. Best antidote tbh.
Other than that, just keep doing what you're doing. Time will be your biggest friend in all of this.
Reply 4
Original post by Danny Dorito
I think it's good that you're trying to do stuff like skating and the gym. As i'm sure you're aware, exercise releases chemicals like endorphin which help make you happy. I personally find that it also helps release any anxiety I might be experiencing. In regards to going back to your girlfriend, it can be easy when your not particularly busy to over think things and dwell on a relationship that is maybe not that great.

Try and hold out for the rest of the summer. Maybe look into joining a glass at the gym to meet people or start a new tv series to distract yourself?

I'm sure once you're back with your mates in London you'll have a clearer idea about what to do.

Good luck :smile:

new tv series sounds good tbh. Just need to think of one. I'll have a look at the classes in the gym as well.

Original post by Rubik-Cube
Are you chicken madness from broken alliances?

ye lol

Original post by plasmaman
If at all possible mush, try and get out and meet some new girls. Best antidote tbh.
Other than that, just keep doing what you're doing. Time will be your biggest friend in all of this.

ye it's not really possible for me to do that until i go back to uni in a month. Don't know where to start or meet people in Bristol cus no social life here lol.
Thanks you three for posting. Makes me feel better getting input.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure you remember, but i'm warchief, haha.

Why don't you get a job if you don't have one.
I'm a girl but i was in the same position as you a year or 2 ago, expect that we didnt live together but he stayed over almost every day/night. It took me a long time to get over my ex, but my advice is to get to know yourself again before trying to get to know other girls.

Take some time to rediscover old hobbies and try new ones, and make some new friends in the process. just enjoy being you for a bit, and when you feel ready then yes by all means try to meet someone new.
Reply 7
Not sure you remember, but i'm warchief, haha.

Why don't you get a job if you don't have one.

ye I do remember haha, are you in uni now? Ye I was thinking about getting a job but then I thought, nah I can't be arsed I'm too heartbroken to go to job interviews atm lmao. And theres no time for it right now because I'm going on a holiday with the family for a week on the 2nd of September. And then after that I'll be going back to uni again.And I'm also probably gonna be forced to go to EGX in Birmingham as well because I already booked the hotel n ticket to go with my ex gf but I can't refund them lmao. I managed to sell one ticket already though. I put the hotel and ticket on Ebay to see if anyone would get rid of it for me lol.

Original post by littlemissmidget123
I'm a girl but i was in the same position as you a year or 2 ago, expect that we didnt live together but he stayed over almost every day/night. It took me a long time to get over my ex, but my advice is to get to know yourself again before trying to get to know other girls.

Take some time to rediscover old hobbies and try new ones, and make some new friends in the process. just enjoy being you for a bit, and when you feel ready then yes by all means try to meet someone new.

ye definitely going to try as many new hobbies as possible. I'm planning on joining the tough mudding society once I'm back at uni and hopefully I can end up on ninja warrior at some point haha.

thanks for the advice :smile:
Yh, i'm second year now, going to university of sussex, good to hear you're still alive, shame to hear about your situation.

But like you say, once you go back to uni, it'll be a lot easier.
Reply 9
Yh, i'm second year now, going to university of sussex, good to hear you're still alive, shame to hear about your situation.

But like you say, once you go back to uni, it'll be a lot easier.

Thats cool. Do you still play League of legends? What do you study?

Ye just gotta hold out for these next few weeks. Tryna focus on all the stuff I'm not going to miss about her now lol.
Haven't logged on league in ages, think i got bored after a while tbh. I study mathematics, going to move into my new house next week. Forgot what you're doing, think it was like design.

When do you start uni?
Haven't logged on league in ages, think i got bored after a while tbh. I study mathematics, going to move into my new house next week. Forgot what you're doing, think it was like design.

When do you start uni?
Original post by Chicken.M.

So I room shared with my ex gf for a year in uni. Relationship started going downhill in the last few months. Tbh she was a real ******** towards the end and she went n shagged two of my friends and did some nasty stuff. Proper lied about loads of stuff as well. Kept finding out new stuff she lied about everyday.

Move out of Bristol

Quick Reply