The Student Room Group

What is regarded as good, average and bad GCSE results?

I am entering year 11 and I was just wondering what is regarded as good, average and bad results at GCSE level compared to the rest of the population as I don't know what target I should set myself. Some people say that their A's and B's are bad but for me that seems really good.

Thanks!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

TSR average and real life average are two different things :lol:

Targets are great and all (maybe set yourself all A's across the board and adjust as nnecessary after a few mocks...) but ultimately it's about studying (done through writing notes for essay based subjects, more through practicing questions for science but with occasional notes), trying to remember it all over time (rather than cramming), doing past papers around exam time, getting enough sleep, doing homework etc.. and you'll be fine.
Original post by adoodling
I am entering year 11 and I was just wondering what is regarded as good, average and bad results at GCSE level compared to the rest of the population as I don't know what target I should set myself. Some people say that their A's and B's are bad but for me that seems really good.

Well it differs from person to person - all depending on your own personal goals and limits! Some may be striving for all As and not be happy with Bs and Cs, but to others Bs and Cs are great! It all depends on what you are capable of at your best. Mock/class exams can help you understand where you sit on that scale.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3

All A*s - tasty
All As - good
All Bs - average
All Cs - bad
All Ds - very bad
All Es - very very bad
All Fs - very very very bad
All Us - sloth
Reply 4
Thanks! I thought that the TSR average was very good.:smile:
Original post by SeanFM
TSR average and real life average are two different things :lol:

Targets are great and all (maybe set yourself all A's across the board and adjust as nnecessary after a few mocks...) but ultimately it's about studying (done through writing notes for essay based subjects, more through practicing questions for science but with occasional notes), trying to remember it all over time (rather than cramming), doing past papers around exam time, getting enough sleep, doing homework etc.. and you'll be fine.
Reply 5
I guess so. I seem to be getting a variety of results at the moment which doesn't help me determine a grade that I should try and achieve. Thanks!
Original post by meandegreen
Well it differs from person to person - all depending on your own personal goals and limits! Some may be striving for all As and not be happy with Bs and Cs, but to others Bs and Cs are great! It all depends on what you are capable of at your best. Mock/class exams can help you understand where you sit on that scale.
Reply 6
Hahaha! Well I think that a sloth could get better than a U. So I should be looking for mostly A's and B's?
Original post by alanaro
All A*s - tasty
All As - good
All Bs - average
All Cs - bad
All Ds - very bad
All Es - very very bad
All Fs - very very very bad
All Us - sloth
364cc5042dca92438aa2d4d78a58c144.jpg
Reply 8
Well that's one way of looking at it.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
364cc5042dca92438aa2d4d78a58c144.jpg
Like previously said, it does differ from person to person. I got 7 A*s and 5 As and I honestly could not be happier! I know that if I had gotten Bs I would have been upset, but not because the grade is bad (Bs are great) but because I knew I could have done better! Good luck in your exams :smile:
Reply 10
So a range B's and C's are average. What would be regarded as a good set of results?
Reply 11
Good results! I guess I would have a better idea on what results I should aim for after GCSE mocks.
Original post by ellieffion
Like previously said, it does differ from person to person. I got 7 A*s and 5 As and I honestly could not be happier! I know that if I had gotten Bs I would have been upset, but not because the grade is bad (Bs are great) but because I knew I could have done better! Good luck in your exams :smile:
So a range B's and C's are average. What would be regarded as a good set of results?

Really GCSEs are only important to get into college so as long as you get Bs and above you will be fine. However the best Universities in the country can take GCSEs more seriously so it all depends on what you are thinking of doing in the future!
Reply 13
Employers used to look at your GCSE grades much more when applying for a job although most people stay on and study A-levels.
Original post by ellieffion
Really GCSEs are only important to get into college so as long as you get Bs and above you will be fine. However the best Universities in the country can take GCSEs more seriously so it all depends on what you are thinking of doing in the future!
Reply 14
Reply 15
What would you regard these results: 2As 2Bs and 4Cs?
Reply 16
Below what I would be happy with.
Original post by Rajive
What would you regard these results: 2As 2Bs and 4Cs?
Reply 17
Oh how I regret getting sh!t GCSES 😔 thinking I was untouchable but I wasn't so untouchable when I picked up my script and it spelt FUDGE. C'S are an achievement in my eyes 😂

Anyone stating that B grades and C grades are average is delusional. If you're aware of the statistics, 40% of people can't achieve 5A*-C including English and Maths. If you've got, say 10 GCSES A*-C, with 5 Bs and 5Cs, you're doing better than most people. It surprises most, but that's what the real world is.
So technically, your friends are rather incorrect it would seem.

P.S
Getting A* in maths put you in around the top 5% in the country for crying out loud.

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm
Yeah I will just repeat what others have said about GCSEs being very subjective. I went to a school where my GCSEs were Mediocre at best A*AAAABBBBCD (Mainly down to the fact I spent my GCSE study break as an excuse to play Minecraft and didn't revise at all) However whenever I managed to mess up my A Levels and spend an extra year at a non-selective institution my GCSEs would have been in the top 10% for everyone who was there. So just do your best, make sure to get at least Bs in English and Maths and you will be fine, though since you are on TSR I expect you will be a good student and be able to do a lot better than that.

Quick Reply

Latest