The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ValerieKR
(x^2 -7)/(x^2 - x - 2)= (x^2-x-2-5+x)/(x^2-x-2) = 1 + (x-5)/(x^2-x-2) and then you do that second term normally

Original post by Mathemagicien
yh thats great and all, but whats x??? thats not a number lol

I don’t know what you’ve been asked to do by your colleges, but I have a sneaking suspicion you might be doing the wrong booklet. That looks like the 2015 one. There’s an updated 2016 one here:
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/workbook2016.pdf

Which I found from this page (a CompSci page):
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/

Sorry if I’ve missed something and that is actually the right one.
Original post by paddy10663
I don’t know what you’ve been asked to do by your colleges, but I have a sneaking suspicion you might be doing the wrong booklet. That looks like the 2015 one. There’s an updated 2016 one here:

Trinity emailed that one and a 2015 'Mathematics Workbook' rather than 'Mathematics for the natural sciences'

(to the mathematics students at least, and both have a partial fractions section)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
A suit with tie for boys and a smart dress for girls are most common. Some girls wear smart shirt with skirt/trousers, too. ( not for matriculation, though. Girls are usually expected to wear a smart dress at most colleges)
And that's what you need as your formal clothes for quite a while, until May Balls, if you're going.

Ah so something like a smart black dress would be okay then? That's great and makes things pretty straightforward. Thanks!

Don't know about your college (perhaps they are an uncivilised bunch of brutes who don't even wear gowns)

I think you mean informal and progressive :teehee:
Don't know about your college (perhaps they are an uncivilised bunch of brutes who don't even wear gowns), but at mine, the best college, males have to wear a dark suit and tie. Not sure about females, but think it was just "appropriate attire".

Here's a picture of some random Cambridge undergrads at the wrong college (idk, it might be mine, in which case is right college)

This picture is of graduation. Different dress code (more formal and strict rule) from normal formals.
Can you delete the pic (not the post itself)mplease? It can be misleading.
Thanks! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sayswho
Ah so something like a smart black dress would be okay then? That's great and makes things pretty straightforward. Thanks!

I think you mean informal and progressive :teehee:

That's fine. :smile:
Just go with a couple of smart dresses you already have. (Unless you're using going to Cambridge as an excuse to buy a new dress!)
You'll be fine with them for the first term. Apart from matriculation dinner, you'll probably have a formal with your department when you start, probably a few with your club/society if you join one (depends on how many swaps they have) and Christmas dinner at your college just before you go home for holiday. This is a sort of basic formals most students usually have during the first term. Some people may have a few more on top of these, but usually not that many more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ValerieKR
Trinity emailed that one and a 2015 'Mathematics Workbook' rather than 'Mathematics for the natural sciences'

(to the mathematics students at least, and both have a partial fractions section)

Aha, that would explain things.
Says who?

Lol you left the pic but edited the comment :biggrin:
Original post by paddy10663

Thanks for posting that! My college hasn't sent me any work (yet) but I'm going to give the natsci booklet a go anyway.

That's fine. :smile:
Just go with a couple of smart dresses you already have. (Unless you're using going to Cambridge as an excuse to buy a new dress!)
You'll be fine with them for the first term. Apart from matriculation dinner, you'll probably have a formal with your department when you start, probably a few with your club/society if you join one (depends on how many swaps they have) and Christmas dinner at your college just before you go home for holiday. This is a sort of basic formals most students usually have during the first term. Some people may have a few more on top of these, but usually not that many more.

I have a few things which will probably be suitable but, yeah, definitely using this an an excuse - it will be great not to spend most of my life in work uniform. Thank you again, that's really helpful.

Says who?

I see what you did there!
Reply 568
Original post by Gingerlamps1335
Have you got an email from your college about work to do before you get there? I have to do 2 essays and i'm really nervous about it because i've never done law before!

Nah I haven't. The only communication I've had from my college since being confirmed is just housekeeping stuff to do with my passport etc. What are the essay questions they gave you?

I'm actually not as nervous as I would be doing another subject, only because they don't assume prior knowledge of the law, which means everyone is on a fairly even playing field.
any magdalene people got recommendations on locations - I'm thinking band 5 - it isn't significantly worse is it ?
Cam sent us mathmos a joke.
Guess they are just trying to make us feel good about ourselves before they destroy our lives.
#rip2016mathmosentrycambridgetsrcrewstepthread2016

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
Cam sent us mathmos a joke.
Guess they are just trying to make us feel good about ourselves before they destroy our lives.
#rip2016mathmosentrycambridgetsrcrewstepthread2016

Posted from TSR Mobile

aint u the kid who said tripos = ez
Original post by Serine Soul
I got stuck on that too :/

There's harder questions coming as well

@C0balt did you get your head around that last partial fractions? I just left it

Ah shite, guess I'll have to start progressing tomorrow then 😂
Original post by Student403
aint u the kid who said tripos = ez

Lol
Yeh but senior wrangler is pretty hard.
Watch out lim tick Im coning for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sayswho

I have a few things which will probably be suitable but, yeah, definitely using this an an excuse - it will be great not to spend most of my life in work uniform. Thank you again, that's really helpful.

I see what you did there!

Lol you definitely deserve it!
If you're buying a new one/s(?), get a sort of dress you'd be wearing for some special family celebration or something in a nice restaurant. At formals, some dress a bit more casually, some a little bit more proms-like (but mid-length) but you'll be safe with anything within those range.
Lol you definitely deserve it!
If you're buying a new one/s(?), get a sort of dress you'd be wearing for some special family celebration or something in a nice restaurant. At formals, some dress a bit more casually, some a little bit more proms-like (but mid-length) but you'll be safe with anything within those range.

Do i buy a dress aswell.
Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do i buy a dress aswell.
Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get some heels as well fam
Original post by Protoxylic
Get some heels as well fam

Not advised apparently from all the walking from homerton.
Peak times.
Peak peak times blud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh thats great and all, but whats x??? thats not a number lol

X is a letter bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do i buy a dress aswell.
Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most definitely.
And post a pic of you wearing it on this thread.
I'll check if it's appropriate style for formals for you.
Oh, and don't fogert to shave your legs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending