The Student Room Group

How hard is the math for physics at A level

Is the maths you do at physics A level harder than A* level GCSE Maths? Also same question but for A level chemistry
Not really hard at all, most of it is just putting numbers into formulae. I suppose you just have to be confident with equations and you'll be fine.

At A2 you have to use natural logs but they're nothing to worry about

Not sure about Chemistry as i never did it, but i'd imagine it's not that difficult.
(edited 7 years ago)
learn. dimensional. analysis.

Seriously you can solve half the mathsy questions without knowing anything apart from units
not very hard because I could do it and I'm a bit dim :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
not very hard because I could do it and I'm a bit dim :tongue:

Really basic for A-level Chemistry. If you got an A in gcse maths then I wouldn't worry about it. Physics is a bit harder but still mostly gcse maths level.
Reply 5
Original post by D3LLI5
learn. dimensional. analysis.

Seriously you can solve half the mathsy questions without knowing anything apart from units

Would it be possible without doing maths as an A level?
Reply 6
The actual maths involved isn't anything special, lots of formula that you just need to know how/when to use. The hard part is knowing what you actually have to do (some questions are worded very strangely), other than that you just put numbers in the calculator.
Original post by Vb994
Would it be possible without doing maths as an A level?

I would question why you would be doing physics without maths in the first place but in terms of mathematical difficulty have a look at past papers for the exam board that you would be taking. I would assume there would be some variation in difficulty of the maths. I did ocr physics b and the maths seemed to be gcse level from what I remember.
Original post by JN17
The actual maths involved isn't anything special, lots of formula that you just need to know how/when to use. The hard part is knowing what you actually have to do (some questions are worded very strangely), other than that you just put numbers in the calculator.

Yeahh this is so true , its not the maths thats hard , its the wording of the question which is hardd:/

Quick Reply

Latest