The Student Room Group

A Level advice please?

Hello people, so for my A levels I chose to do Geography, Product Design, Classical Civilisation and English Literature. Please can people who do these subjects give me a insight in what to expect in each one? . I really want to do them but I'm worried in case I'm not good enough or if it's really difficult :frown:. And if your curious I got a C in geography, C in literature and B in product design for GCSE. Are these grades good enough??? Please help I'm confused on what to do. :frown:

Thanks everyone who replies! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi I just finished my AS in Engllish Lit! what exam board are you doing for lit?
Reply 2
Hello, thanks for the reply :smile: oh right cool, i don't know actually? I haven't been told as i haven't started sixth form yet. Im going for a induction day next week though, so may find out then. May i ask.....what was it like doing it?? Is it quite a relaxed subject because I'm nervous of doing it :frown: i want to be good enough.
Reply 3
Original post by Pedrex
Hello, thanks for the reply :smile: oh right cool, i don't know actually? I haven't been told as i haven't started sixth form yet. Im going for a induction day next week though, so may find out then. May i ask.....what was it like doing it?? Is it quite a relaxed subject because I'm nervous of doing it :frown: i want to be good enough.

Honestly, at my school, English Lit was the only reason I stayed sane the whole year! :u: It definitely wasn't an easy subject as we learnt 4 texts this year and we couldn't take any in the exam so it was a bit difficult to learn the right quotes. Don't be nervous about doing lit because I found it was one of those subjects where if you practice your essay writing technique and include everything the examiner is looking for you can't go wrong!
Personally, Englsih was so enjoyable for me because of the texts we studied: A Streetcar Named Desire, The Bloody Chamber and other short stories, The Tempest and Christina Rossetti's selected poems. I preferred some texts over others but generally they were all great. As long as you have an interest in analysis of language, structure and form as well as knowing the context behind texts you should have a blast :smile:
I found the only way to be good enough is to keep on top of the reading, make summary notes of characters, themes, criticisms and context and practice your essay writing and having feedback given. I absolutely loved AS, I just hope A2 is as good! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by pooji11
Honestly, at my school, English Lit was the only reason I stayed sane the whole year! :u: It definitely wasn't an easy subject as we learnt 4 texts this year and we couldn't take any in the exam so it was a bit difficult to learn the right quotes. Don't be nervous about doing lit because I found it was one of those subjects where if you practice your essay writing technique and include everything the examiner is looking for you can't go wrong!
Personally, Englsih was so enjoyable for me because of the texts we studied: A Streetcar Named Desire, The Bloody Chamber and other short stories, The Tempest and Christina Rossetti's selected poems. I preferred some texts over others but generally they were all great. As long as you have an interest in analysis of language, structure and form as well as knowing the context behind texts you should have a blast :smile:
I found the only way to be good enough is to keep on top of the reading, make summary notes of characters, themes, criticisms and context and practice your essay writing and having feedback given. I absolutely loved AS, I just hope A2 is as good! Hope this helps :smile:

Wow wasn't expecting a reply as good as this :smile:!!! Thanks for all the support buddy, i appreciate it a lot. I feel more confident doing it now i think! The only problem i have is im quite quiet so people will complain if i need to read a extract out or something. How much speaking and listening is involved anyway :smile:?
Reply 5
Original post by Pedrex
Wow wasn't expecting a reply as good as this :smile:!!! Thanks for all the support buddy, i appreciate it a lot. I feel more confident doing it now i think! The only problem i have is im quite quiet so people will complain if i need to read a extract out or something. How much speaking and listening is involved anyway :smile:?

No problem i'm happy to answer any questions about A levels in general :smile:
No need to worry about being quiet because i'm also a very quiet and I often had to read aloud in class. That was really the only speaking stuff I had to do. Sometimes we would have to do presentations when doing contextual research but that was okay because I would present what I had researched and I felt confident with it. As a whole there was no assessed speaking and listening which i'm very glad of xD.
I do have to do coursework which is a pain on top of everything else but nothing's perfect I guess :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest