The Student Room Group

Just a few questions

Hey guys :smile:
First of all, congratulations to everyone who got their GCSE results yesterday. I'm so proud of you! You have all worked so hard. :smile:

Maths has NEVER been my strongest subject - however I won't shut down from it, I will always try my absolute hardest to try and get the grades. For revision, I did lots and lots of papers (in fact, I've still got a few😂😂) and gave them to my teachers to mark. On all of them, I was close to a C, but on things I got wrong, my teachers would go through it with me until I understood, and got me to do more past questions related to the topic. Unfortunately, I have failed it 3 times now. Please don't judge me, I have tried my absolute hardest to try and get a C, but it just hasn't happened yet. (WHY, WHAT KEEPS GOING WRONG??? :redface: ) Backstory over, I just have a few questions about retaking next year. If any of you could help me out, I'd be dead grateful.

1. If any of you passed, whether on a resit or not, how did you revise? I used mymaths, and I did plenty of past papers. Do you guys have any revision tips? :smile:

2. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but a few months ago my maths tutor told me that if we failed, the resit would be done on the new GCSE (9-1). Could someone clarify if I have one more time on the old spec or I go straight onto the new one? :redface:

3. I think this is just a rumour, but do I have to pay to resit maths the 4th time?? I'm hearing different things :o:o:o:o:o:o:redface:

I would LOVE a C in Maths, because I would know that despite me failing a few times, I could still pass. That would make me feel so proud :redface: also I would really love to go to university and get a decent job, and I know a C in maths would be really beneficial.

As well as having maths lessons at school, my friend has also kindly offered to help me out :smile:

Thank guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
First of all, congratulations to everyone who got their GCSE results yesterday. I'm so proud of you! You have all worked so hard. :smile:

Maths has NEVER been my strongest subject - however I won't shut down from it, I will always try my absolute hardest to try and get the grades. For revision, I did lots and lots of papers (in fact, I've still got a few😂😂) and gave them to my teachers to mark. On all of them, I was close to a C, but on things I got wrong, my teachers would go through it with me until I understood, and got me to do more past questions related to the topic. Unfortunately, I have failed it 3 times now. Please don't judge me, I have tried my absolute hardest to try and get a C, but it just hasn't happened yet. (WHY, WHAT KEEPS GOING WRONG??? :redface: ) Backstory over, I just have a few questions about retaking next year. If any of you could help me out, I'd be dead grateful.

1. If any of you passed, whether on a resit or not, how did you revise? I used mymaths, and I did plenty of past papers. Do you guys have any revision tips? :smile:

2. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but a few months ago my maths tutor told me that if we failed, the resit would be done on the new GCSE (9-1). Could someone clarify if I have one more time on the old spec or I go straight onto the new one? :redface:

3. I think this is just a rumour, but do I have to pay to resit maths the 4th time?? I'm hearing different things :o:o:o:o:o:o:redface:

I would LOVE a C in Maths, because I would know that despite me failing a few times, I could still pass. That would make me feel so proud :redface: also I would really love to go to university and get a decent job, and I know a C in maths would be really beneficial.

As well as having maths lessons at school, my friend has also kindly offered to help me out :smile:

Thank guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really admire your determination and dedication! I have a bunch of friends that didn't pass until their 4th, 5th or 6th time sitting it and when they got their C, they said they'd used a lot of MyMaths and sat a lot of past papers as well. Do you know the parts that you struggle on the most? You might find that you benefit from something more visual or auditory which is something you and your tutor could explore. Help from your friend will definitely be great too. If they still have any of their notes, you might find you take well to their style of learning and pick things up well like that as well. I'm not sure whether you'll be on the old or new spec, but the school you're sitting the exam through will be able to tell you. If you can get hold of the exams officer, they'll be able to let you know what you're entered in for and everything. If you haven't had to pay before, you probably won't have to pay again although this could depend on where you live, how old you are etc. If you do have to pay, it's not a whole lot so don't worry too much about it! Good luck with your maths, I'm sure you'll get your pass! Keep up with the great attitude because that's gonna help you so much as well!
Hi I don't know if this will help but I got a c in maths GCSEs but averaged at a b for most of the year:smile: before most of my exams I used YouTube to search any topics I struggled with which was rly helpful! I recommend watching videos on 'Simon deacons' channel as the videos are are easy to understand and I learnt a lot using it!:smile:
Hey! I kept being just below a C in my exams too! Bear in mind I was told I was capable of an A, and my struggle was down to missing a lot of school due to illness, and being stuck with a teacher that ended up being fired for not doing her job properly. I don't know your circumstances, or your personal predicted outcomes but I would highly suggest taking this advice on board if you're not already following it as I made a lot of progress this year so I know this helps. I did pass maths gcse, and this I did through hours after school with my teacher as well as hours and hours of my own time at home. I highly suggest you use the site "mathsgenie" if you don't already; it provides video tutorials of all the topics, breaks down the topics by grade and has all the past papers for you to access at your leisure. With use of this site, and hours of practice and making flash cards on topics I struggled with, I was getting Bs and even scraped an A once in practice papers I was doing. Hope this helps, good luck this year!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I really admire your determination and dedication! I have a bunch of friends that didn't pass until their 4th, 5th or 6th time sitting it and when they got their C, they said they'd used a lot of MyMaths and sat a lot of past papers as well. Do you know the parts that you struggle on the most? You might find that you benefit from something more visual or auditory which is something you and your tutor could explore. Help from your friend will definitely be great too. If they still have any of their notes, you might find you take well to their style of learning and pick things up well like that as well. I'm not sure whether you'll be on the old or new spec, but the school you're sitting the exam through will be able to tell you. If you can get hold of the exams officer, they'll be able to let you know what you're entered in for and everything. If you haven't had to pay before, you probably won't have to pay again although this could depend on where you live, how old you are etc. If you do have to pay, it's not a whole lot so don't worry too much about it! Good luck with your maths, I'm sure you'll get your pass! Keep up with the great attitude because that's gonna help you so much as well!

That's a relief! I'm glad that your friends have passed. I will ask my exams officer when I go back to school, which isn't that far away now, so we can get the ball rolling. And thank you, my parents have said that they're proud of me for my attitude. Guess it's better than having a meltdown over it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eleanor1999
Hi I don't know if this will help but I got a c in maths GCSEs but averaged at a b for most of the year:smile: before most of my exams I used YouTube to search any topics I struggled with which was rly helpful! I recommend watching videos on 'Simon deacons' channel as the videos are are easy to understand and I learnt a lot using it!:smile:

Thank you, I will have a look at that! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you 100% desperately need to pass, I recommend just sorting out tuition as long as money isn't too large an issue.
Original post by thevamps99xo

Thank guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Khan Academy has videos for pretty much any topic you can think of, and they're all really well explained and useful. Doing past papers is really good, especially if you go over them afterwards to solve the questions you got wrong (even if it is with the aid of the markscheme) because you'll get more of a feel for the types of questions. I really admire your determination in this, it's impressive :smile: Are there any specific subject areas you're finding hard, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply