The Student Room Group

Should I choose A-level French?

Hi everyone,
So I am incredibly happy with my results but am unsure of what I should choose for college. I am certain on Drama and English Lit (Both of which I got As in). However, I am not certain on whether I should choose French or Graphics. I received an A in both but I just know French is incredibly difficult at A-level. It will look better on my CV though in my opinion. Thoughts?
Original post by pingu58011
Hi everyone,
So I am incredibly happy with my results but am unsure of what I should choose for college. I am certain on Drama and English Lit (Both of which I got As in). However, I am not certain on whether I should choose French or Graphics. I received an A in both but I just know French is incredibly difficult at A-level. It will look better on my CV though in my opinion. Thoughts?

French will definitely help you out a lot in the future, but Graphics can too depending on what career path you wish to take. You've got to be very committed to your French a-level, it's quite different to GCSE, what put me off was how well you have to know the language and I just don't think I have the knack for it. You cannot memorise your writing pieces, you have to know what to write off the top of your head. So that is a lot of vocabulary and phrasing as well as grammar rules etc to learn, practise and memorise. Also even the smallest mistakes in the speaking can bring your grade down. Overall you have to be very meticulous in the French a-level. It will be very difficult but the hard work can pay off in the end!
Reply 2
A level French is great and definitely worth taking for many reasons, but the A level is solid. i've been a fluent french speaker for 3 years now & still found it extremely challenging, i got and A in As and C in A2 but thats because i had no teacher and revised only a week before exams. But if you study it lots in your own time then you really won't regret it, & uni's love it.
Reply 3
So it seems that it is very difficult which makes me question whether to pick it or not. The college I am planning on going to has a 100% A*-B pass rate though at languages which makes me think it is worth taking.
Reply 4
Anymore suggestions?
Reply 5
Anyone?
Reply 6
Do you have an idea of what you want to study at uni? your future career?

Can you go to France/speak with a native to perfect your French?
Reply 7
Original post by Josb
Do you have an idea of what you want to study at uni? your future career?

Can you go to France/speak with a native to perfect your French?

I want to go into a career with drama so will probably be studying that at uni. French is just something that will make me stand out and I also enjoy it!

I am not sure on that one haha!

Quick Reply

Latest