The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE results guaranteed me a university place for chemical engineering?

By guarantee I mean would they not put me at a disadvantage from those students applying with A*/A's and if I get AAB-AAA at A levels and an A-B in EPQ would that guarantee me a place?

I intend to do a masters degree in either chemical or petroleum engineering in universities such as:
UCL
University of Manchester
Leeds
University of Bath
Queen Mary's
Etc.

I'm starting A levels this year, my subjects being: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and EPQ - I intend to get AAA in the A levels and perhaps an A on the EPQ as well.

My GCSE grades are:
A - Core Science
A - Additional Science
B - Maths (getting remarked as extremely close to A grade/feel paper not marked appropriately)
B - Computing
B - French
C - Geography
C - English Language
C - English Literature
C - Business Studies

I prefer chemical engineering over petroleum but would enjoy doing both!
Also was wondering would the EPQ put me at a big disadvantage from students doing a 4th A-level/AS. My GCSE grades could have been much better if I put in the effort, but guess that's a lesson learnt to not make the same mistake during A-levels. I think I am capable of achieving at least AAB and B in EPQ but will try my very hardest to get AAA on the A Levels and maybe an A on the EPQ.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your GCSEs, no matter what they are, cannot guarantee a place at uni.

If, as you say, you manage to improve to AAB then you stand a good chance providing the rest of your application is good. I'd strongly advise taking a fourth AS Level for those unis though, why are you not?
Reply 2
Original post by Cerdic
Your GCSEs, no matter what they are, cannot guarantee a place at uni.

If, as you say, you manage to improve to AAB then you stand a good chance providing the rest of your application is good. I'd strongly advise taking a fourth AS Level for those unis though, why are you not?

Well I've got 2 Sixth Form places, ones offering me to do EPQ because apparently AS levels won't exist in 2017? While the other I've taken AS Psychology.
Original post by Thalassa-
I intend to do a masters degree in either chemical or petroleum engineering in universities such as:
UCL
University of Manchester
Leeds
University of Bath
Queen Mary's
Etc.

I'm starting A levels this year, my subjects being: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and EPQ - I intend to get AAA in the A levels and perhaps an A on the EPQ as well.

My GCSE grades are:
A - Core Science
A - Additional Science
B - Maths (getting remarked as extremely close to A grade/feel paper not marked appropriately)
B - Computing
B - French
C - Geography
C - English Language
C - English Literature
C - Business Studies

Also was wondering would the EPQ put me at a big disadvantage from students doing a 4th A-level/AS. My GCSE grades could have been much better if I put in the effort, but guess that's a lesson learnt to not make the same mistake during A-levels. I think I am capable of achieving at least AAB and B in EPQ but will try my very hardest to get AAA on the A Levels and maybe an A on the EPQ.

You will not be guaranteed a place in uni based on GCSEs, but if you get decent A levels you could go to one of the unis you have mentioned
Well I've got 2 Sixth Form places, ones offering me to do EPQ because apparently AS levels won't exist in 2017? While the other I've taken AS Psychology.

It depends which A-Levels you choose, some have become liner and so do not consist of a formal AS study year, but rather a year 1 of sorts. Many of the university's you are applying to have requirements of A*AA so try aim a little higher as well :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kieranisda1
You will not be guaranteed a place in uni based on GCSEs, but if you get decent A levels you could go to one of the unis you have mentioned

Updated original post, check first paragraph! :c
Reply 6
Original post by ollie1024
It depends which A-Levels you choose, some have become liner and so do not consist of a formal AS study year, but rather a year 1 of sorts. Unfortunately many of the university's you have looked at require atleast a B in English Language or A B in English Literature if a C in language, so maybe look around at other universities.

I just checked their entry requirements and the minimum was grade C in English Language for all of them :c
(edited 7 years ago)
I just checked their entry requirements and the minimum was grade C in English Language for all of them

Yup, Apologies, I already corrected my original post haha
By guarantee I mean would they not put me at a disadvantage from those students applying with A*/A's and if I get AAB-AAA at A levels and an A-B in EPQ would that guarantee me a place?

UCL
University of Manchester
Leeds
University of Bath
Queen Mary's
Etc.

My GCSE grades are:
A - Core Science
A - Additional Science
B - Computing
B - French
C - Geography
C - English Language
C - English Literature
C - Business Studies

I don't think those places look too much at gcse but if I'm not wrong at least leeds their a level requirements for chemical engineering is A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by ollie1024
Yup, Apologies, I already corrected my original post haha

Should I do the EPQ as the 1 year equivalent or AS Psychology :c, will doing EPQ be a disadvantage? Also if i get an A in EPQ it'll lower the entry requirement from A*AA to AAA I believe ;c
Reply 10
I graduated with a Physics degree from the University of Bath and had a flatmate too in second year who did chemical engineering there too. As a result, I have insight into the uni and this course. Be ready for maths. It is intense for you in your course as it was with mine. A knowledge of physics would be beneficial I believe (don't quote me on this) and in my opinion, my a levels would include physics, chemistry and maths (personally Physics was the best a level by far and maths is fairly logical maths that if you concentrate will set you up so well for uni in a science related degree). Your GCSE grades will by no means get you into university. They help with the progression into a levels but as I have said to a friend recently, they don't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things. It is now that you dictate your future (no pressure, but it's exciting!). Best of luck with it all!
Reply 11
Original post by Stevee12
I graduated with a Physics degree from the University of Bath and had a flatmate too in second year who did chemical engineering there too. As a result, I have insight into the uni and this course. Be ready for maths. It is intense for you in your course as it was with mine. A knowledge of physics would be beneficial I believe (don't quote me on this) and in my opinion, my a levels would include physics, chemistry and maths (personally Physics was the best a level by far and maths is fairly logical maths that if you concentrate will set you up so well for uni in a science related degree). Your GCSE grades will by no means get you into university. They help with the progression into a levels but as I have said to a friend recently, they don't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things. It is now that you dictate your future (no pressure, but it's exciting!). Best of luck with it all!

Well could AAB/AAA with an A/B in EPQ guarantee me a place in uni? :c

UCL
University of Manchester
Leeds
University of Bath
Queen Mary's
Etc.

My GCSE grades are:
A - Core Science
A - Additional Science
B - Computing
B - French
C - Geography
C - English Language
C - English Literature
C - Business Studies

Why aren't you taking Physics A Level?
Reply 13
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
I don't think those places look too much at gcse but if I'm not wrong at least leeds their a level requirements for chemical engineering is A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you think I'll have a good chance of the universities requesting AAA-AAB? ;c
Should I do the EPQ as the 1 year equivalent or AS Psychology :c, will doing EPQ be a disadvantage? Also if i get an A in EPQ it'll lower the entry requirement from A*AA to AAA I believe ;c

AS Psychology is a reformed subject so I'm not entirely sure but I don't think you gain a qualification for only doing it for a year. Many universities don't factor in the EPQ when looking at offers, but I believe that yes, if you get AAA and focus your EPQ topic on chemical engineering that would give you a good leeway.
Reply 15
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Why aren't you taking Physics A Level?

I've always wanted to do Math Chem and Bio :c
Reply 16
Again, I wouldn't quote myself on this, but I would imagine having AAA including the chemistry and maths would give you the necessary grades but I haven't really heard of what an EPQ is so I doubt that'll be as desirable as you may think. With mine, I needed three A's but two had to be maths and physics and the other in anything other than something like general studies. If you rate this EPQ higher than that, you should be fine. Maybe check with the university or first look at the prospectus(es)
Well you think I'll have a good chance of the universities requesting AAA-AAB? ;c

Honestly, many university's don't care too much about GCSE unless you haven't hit the entry requirements. What you need to do now is work incredibly hard studying your first year of A-Levels so that your grades are high and and will recive the uni offers you want.
Reply 18
Again, I wouldn't quote myself on this, but I would imagine having AAA including the chemistry and maths would give you the necessary grades but I haven't really heard of what an EPQ is so I doubt that'll be as desirable as you may think. With mine, I needed three A's but two had to be maths and physics and the other in anything other than something like general studies. If you rate this EPQ higher than that, you should be fine. Maybe check with the university or first look at the prospectus(es)

I mean AAA In Biology Chem and Maths, EPQ is just another course I am taking which is equivalent to an AS as A levels are now linear this was my only choice as a Fourth subject.

Extended Project Qualification. Its not a necessary qualification to have as university's don't usually count it in their offer however if your first year grades have fallen short a high EPQ grade may work well in your favour. A-Levels have changed alot since you sat them and are much more difficult now so trying all 3 science will be tough. Oh and General Studies will no longer be redeveloped, mainly the EPQ is taking it over, here is a statement from AQA 'As an alternative, you may like to consider our Extended Project Qualification, which we have recently updated to meet the changing needs of students, teachers and universities.'
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest