The Student Room Group

My life is ruined isn't it?

Scroll to see replies

I agree with doing an apprenticeship or an NVQ. I would also see if you could maybe do a few more GCSEs alongside?

Is there anyone at school you can talk to? They usually have careers advisers.
Reply 21
Original post by SCIENCE :D
How did you only pass 3? If you didn't put in the work during the year then you can't blame anyone but yourself

I put the work in and got this: Maths (B), chemistry (B) and physics (C).
Original post by Angry Bird
No. GCSE's don't dictate your life

but they literally have in this case. OP can't take a levels now. Who knows what chain effects that will have
go into trades or take some more gcses and do stem a-levels
Reply 24
Original post by Blackstarr
Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful and too determined to be defeated.

Life is what YOU make of it.

You can sulk about your situation or do something about it the choice is yours.

Thanks for the motivation. I just need advice and ideas to make the plan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Tiger Rag
I agree with doing an apprenticeship or an NVQ. I would also see if you could maybe do a few more GCSEs alongside?

Is there anyone at school you can talk to? They usually have careers advisers.

Yep this would be a good decision, and with apprenticeships you can also move up in your career as well, you could take GCSEs alongside (Like English) you could then try to get a couple BTECs
Reply 26
Original post by Kryptonian
I put the work in and got this: Maths (B), chemistry (B) and physics (C).

If you want to go down the academic route (college), see if you can at least re-sit/do English and Biology. Having 5A-Cs which are Maths + Eng + 3 Sciences will give you a great grounding and will open doors to many A-level subjects.
Im gonna say what most successful british youtubers say: "GCSE's are just letters on a piece of paper, they dont dictate your life!" I doubt the would say that if they didn't have a YT channel - but who knows :colondollar:
Reply 28
Original post by shohaib712
Im gonna say what most successful british youtubers say: "GCSE's are just letters on a piece of paper, they dont dictate your life!" I doubt the would say that if they didn't have a YT channel - but who knows :colondollar:

That are needed to take the next step!!
Like what people said....

Redo GCSE English and other ones you did not pass along side a Btec applied science or just focus on GCSE and then do the Btec . Alternatively you could just redo your GCSEs and then do A levels.

I am pretty sure there are English resits this November so if you prepare yourself for it, you could pass it or if not then take that exam in June.

Having said all the above ....
Ask yourself why do you want to do STEM? Why? Bear in mind that Good GCSEs do not mean Good A levels.

What do you want to be in life? If you need STEM for then go for it but it will require hard work.

Ultimately, the decision is yours
No. just retake.

stop being so over dramatic
Original post by sr90
I left school at 15/16 with no GCSE's and I haven't done too badly for myself

im not the only one!!!
im yet to do well though
Reply 32
Original post by Blackstarr
Like what people said....

Redo GCSE English and other ones you did not pass along side a Btec applied science or just focus on GCSE and then do the Btec . Alternatively you could just redo your GCSEs and then do A levels.

I am pretty sure there are English resits this November so if you prepare yourself for it, you could pass it or if not then take that exam in June.

Having said all the above ....
Ask yourself why do you want to do STEM? Why? Bear in mind that Good GCSEs do not mean Good A levels.

What do you want to be in life? If you need STEM for then go for it but it will require hard work.

Ultimately, the decision is yours

Thanks very much for the advice. I will speak to a sixth form on their enrolment day and see if they agree for me to do A levels along with retaking GCSE English Language. If not I will consider the other options.
I can't do A levels, can't go to Uni, failed GCSEs only passed 3.

Now what am I supposed to do? I have no idea what to do next... :frown:
Please advise what's best to do now I'm so sad and confused

I decided to do A levels after doing a *****y job since the age of 18 to 21 (at 16 I studied public services at college then got told I couldn't join any public service due to my eyesight so was confused and just took a random *****y job), I thought this was what the future and I couldn't do anything about it. Couldn't get onto A levels at local college because they required higher GCSE grades. Fast forward 3 years and I got BBB (I realise this isn't the greatest) in physics maths and biology A levels after doing GCSE's at 21 while working full time (got A*s) Now Im off to manchester uni to do a foundation science course and then transfer to a physics or engineering course.

I can see how it might seem like it but your life is beyond over. Now I'm not saying your life is in academics, as it may not be, but the most important thing for you to do at the moment is get a job (self preservation is a vital life skill, learn how to survive/earn money for yourself) Then spend your time figuring what you want in life/what are you interested in? Is there a feasible career in an area of life your interested in? How do you get hired in that career? Need a qualification? go do it. Need a qualification to do that qualification? Go ****ing do that!

Plenty of people come out of uni with BS degrees and end up in a job they hate anyway. The main thing for you to do is find out what you want....You do that at your age and your already way ahead of everyone else, then all you've got to do is grind.

Most importantly, do not be afraid to fail, people opt to settle and stay in a regular job and then get fired and go bankrupt at 40, you can fail playing it safe so you may as well fail doing something you enjoy!

Lastly you can learn a lot even while your in a crap job, dealing with adverse conditions is a vital skill that people who succeeded the first time dont always lean, it will pay off down the line. Your young, far too young to be putting ANY limitations on yourself.
Reply 34
Original post by yungaheartz
No. just retake.

stop being so over dramatic

I'm not being over dramatic. I'm really sad and you need 5 which are considered a pass. :frown:
I'm not being over dramatic. I'm really sad and you need 5 which are considered a pass. :frown:

I know you need five passes but surely you can resit another two GCSEs so that you have five passes for next year? Lots of people do that.
Reply 36
Original post by beeninetytwo
I know you need five passes but surely you can resit another two GCSEs so that you have five passes for next year? Lots of people do that.

But then I can't go to sixth form because you need to be 16 when you start and by that time I'd be 17. The A level course now takes a full 2 years. I am going to speak to a sixth form and I hope they agree for me to resit and take A levels alongside it.
Some of the most famous, talented people in the world did poorly in their GCSE's and didn't go to uni.

Your life is not ruined. :smile:
You try ringing up some sixth forms asking if they could possibly take you with the grades you have and retake English at sixth form. It is worth a shot, anyways your second option is to go college and study a level 3 course which would be equivalent to A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Angry Bird
No. GCSE's don't dictate your life

Well it gives people a hint of how hard you've worked at secondary school

Quick Reply

Latest