The Student Room Group

How to receive A/A*'s for GCSE

I did 2 GCSE's in year 9 RE and art I received an A for RE and a C for art.In year 10 I did history,french and an additional language.I received an A* for history an A* for an additional language and A for french (1 mark off an A*:frown: ).I will sit the 1-9 new specification for English and maths and computer science.I will sit the old specification for triple science.I want to do biology,maths,chemistry and English lit for a level I need a 7 for maths and English and A/A* for biology and chemistry.

How can I achieve A/A* or 7-9?Any advice appreciated.
Reply 1
Hello
Congratulations on the results you have already achieved in Year 9 and Year 10.😃 They are really good considering you did those subjects early, but if missing the a* in French is annoying you a little have you considered applying for a remark? I'm also in Year 10 but I have only done one gcse this year (core science) and will be doing the others next year.I think I may be able to help you with triple science and maths (the others I don't do and I'm struggling for a 7 in English myself, lol 😊) So please can you tell me what exam boards you are doing for these? Regardless, try learning the content of the spec in detail with a revision guide for science. I do this by creating flashcards and then going through these each day (little and often). But be careful that you are not missing any info out, because for example, OCR do not include many facts from the textbook in the revision guide (and sometimes vice versa) which may cost you the a*. Try to check more than one source to see which is best or use both for OCR, but if you are unsure ask your teachers. Also, do past papers for practice in the lead up to the exam. Good luck, 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
As for maths, try to work through a revision guide endorsed by your exam board alongside a workbook to learn all of the skills they want us to know. The new books for the 9-1 spec by edexcel are really good and cover everything in order. If you don't understand anything then ask your teacher or the community here and I' m sure you'll get it soon.You can start doing this now, but make brief notes explaining how to answer a a question from the topic everytime you learn something. This way, you will be more likely to remember it through next year and even if you forget the method you can just give it a quick read.Finally, use pastpaers to practice applying these skills. If you want, you can add the stuff you already ready knew to your notes, but keep them very brief because while it's a good idea to cover everything and have it afresh in your mind, the only things you should literally memorise for maths are the formulas. I hope this helps you. 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Moppet
Hello
Congratulations on the results you have already achieved in Year 9 and Year 10.😃 They are really good considering you did those subjects early, but if missing the a* in French is annoying you a little have you considered applying for a remark? I'm also in Year 10 but I have only done one gcse this year (core science) and will be doing the others next year.I think I may be able to help you with triple science and maths (the others I don't do and I'm struggling for a 7 in English myself, lol 😊) So please can you tell me what exam boards you are doing for these? Regardless, try learning the content of the spec in detail with a revision guide for science. I do this by creating flashcards and then going through these each day (little and often). But be careful that you are not missing any info out, because for example, OCR do not include many facts from the textbook in the revision guide (and sometimes vice versa) which may cost you the a*. Try to check more than one source to see which is best or use both for OCR, but if you are unsure ask your teachers. Also, do past papers for practice in the lead up to the exam. Good luck, 😊

For English i am working on 7/8 I can sometimes get a 9 on an essay but if i really push myself my teacher thinks i will get a 8/9 however maths I am really struggling with i am doing aqa for english and science and edexcel for maths.I hve revision guides but i find them a waste of money as in english we speak about more complex ideas and I find the guides too simple and limiting.For science try freesciencelessons.co.uk.
Original post by Moppet
As for maths, try to work through a revision guide endorsed by your exam board alongside a workbook to learn all of the skills they want us to know. The new books for the 9-1 spec by edexcel are really good and cover everything in order. If you don't understand anything then ask your teacher or the community here and I' m sure you'll get it soon.You can start doing this now, but make brief notes explaining how to answer a a question from the topic everytime you learn something. This way, you will be more likely to remember it through next year and even if you forget the method you can just give it a quick read.Finally, use pastpaers to practice applying these skills. If you want, you can add the stuff you already ready knew to your notes, but keep them very brief because while it's a good idea to cover everything and have it afresh in your mind, the only things you should literally memorise for maths are the formulas. I hope this helps you. 😊

I consistently receive b's in science I hope I will improve next year I have the maths edexcel textbook.I am finding it really hard I practice questions daily.Also gcse guide on youtube is really good for science.

Quick Reply

Latest