The Student Room Group

I passed only 4 gcses please help

I really want to take A levels but I've only passed:

English Language: C
English Literature: B
Drama: C
Sociology: C

Is it possible to still take A levels this year whilst I'm retaking maths??
Reply 1
It looks promising.
Bro wtf how did i get c in english lit u got a B
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
Bro wtf how did i get c in english lit u got a B

It's one of my favourite subjects haha
Reply 4
I am in a very similar situation! I received two As in Re and English lit and two Bs in English Language and History. The rest of my grades were 5 Ds and two Es. I cried thinking my life was over as I needed 5 a levels to go to sixth form. My comforting friends suggested that my Welsh Bacc pass may count towards it, After asking my useless head of year, who had no clue, I spent the most worrying twenty minutes in line to ask, The answer, as I thought was no. I had only got 4 gcses. However, the teacher explained that I had already been discussed and due to my 4 grades being high I was allowed to enter my schools sixth form! However, I was not allowed to do media studies as I received a D thanks to a very useless teacher - I worked my ass off in that subject and my friend who couldn't even be bothered to finish her ccoursework received the same grade? Also, I have been accepted on the exception that I re sit Maths to gain a c. So, after bawling my eyes out thinking my life was over I'm heading back to school to do my a levels (English lit, Re and health and social) I know my gcses are far from great but I am happy as long as I pass maths. The moral of the story is don't panic, there are so many options for you and you need to really talk to your local college/school because theyre there to help you. I never expected to take health and social, but I am very excited as it opens up a completely new path for me so please don't rule anything out! I hope this helps and I know youre feeling awful right now because ive been through it exactly the same time as you!
Well done I had the exact problem too I got 4 GCSEs yesterday and I thought that was it for me I got two Bs in English language and RE/RS and 2 Cs in ICT and science the rest were all Ds my school told me I need 5 GCSEs to get into sixth form but due to my high mark in English and RE I was given a place in my sixth form after being turned down originally, so now in my a levels I'm doing Law, media, sociology and maths retake ( as I failed maths ) I have to agree with what you said and if this happens to anyone else don't feel defeated if you get good grades with the 4 you pass don't feel defeated talk to your enrolment teachers and they will help you and more than likely offer you a place. PS they say you need 5 GCSEs but you can get in with 4 as long as you pass English language or maths
I got 3 GCSEs in maths chemistry and physics wanted to do that for A level too
Reply 7
I only have 3 C's too, but considering I've sent my AQA GEO for a remark, it'll hopefully be 4. And better my IT has been sent off too; 5 marks off a 'B', it's possible to find in my CA and exam.
I'm in a similar situation too! Can someone tell me if sixth form will let me do a levels with 1 A in English Lit, 1 B in Art and 2 Cs in English Lang and Maths? Well done btw :smile:
Original post by naziaxdina
I'm in a similar situation too! Can someone tell me if sixth form will let me do a levels with 1 A in English Lit, 1 B in Art and 2 Cs in English Lang and Maths? Well done btw :smile:

You will be allowed in aslong as your courses you wish to do fit in with the grades you got, due to you passing maths and English ( the main GCSEs ) you should automatically have a place really as long as the courses are suitable, I'm not sure if you read my reply but I got a B in English language which luckily was the reason I was given a spot in my sixth form
Original post by brandonsapp
I really want to take A levels but I've only passed:

English Language: C
English Literature: B
Drama: C
Sociology: C

Is it possible to still take A levels this year whilst I'm retaking maths??

Colleges always let you resit your maths for free anyways - don't worry you're not the only one.

I'm just surprised a student with a student room account wouldn't get 10A*s as with the student room norm/stereotype.

People who haven't passed english and maths are still allowed to take A levels in them subjects - although this is dependent on the college.

At my college this year over 300 students resat english.....foundation.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reecebateman
You will be allowed in aslong as your courses you wish to do fit in with the grades you got, due to you passing maths and English ( the main GCSEs ) you should automatically have a place really as long as the courses are suitable, I'm not sure if you read my reply but I got a B in English language which luckily was the reason I was given a spot in my sixth form

Alright, thank you!
Did you end up doing A levels?
Did you end up doing A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending