The Student Room Group

What is regarded as good, average and bad GCSE results?

Scroll to see replies

just aim for the results you want. be realistic, think about your performance in class and your ability.
Reply 21
Yeah I can't see how some people get a C at GCSE's and not revise. Most people who are getting high marks probably spent as much time on exam technique as they do revising on the actual content.
Original post by wbnurse
Oh how I regret getting sh!t GCSES 😔 thinking I was untouchable but I wasn't so untouchable when I picked up my script and it spelt FUDGE. C'S are an achievement in my eyes 😂
Reply 22
I saw this statistic although I thought it was incorrect as so many people on TSR said they achieved 100 A*'s.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Anyone stating that B grades and C grades are average is delusional. If you're aware of the statistics, 40% of people can't achieve 5A*-C including English and Maths. If you've got, say 10 GCSES A*-C, with 5 Bs and 5Cs, you're doing better than most people. It surprises most, but that's what the real world is.
So technically, your friends are rather incorrect it would seem.

P.S
Getting A* in maths put you in around the top 5% in the country for crying out loud.

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm
Reply 23
I should do this however I'm achieving a range of results at the moment and I haven't completedmock tests for any subject.
Original post by itsbillie
just aim for the results you want. be realistic, think about your performance in class and your ability.
Reply 24
I messed up all the way back in year 6 by playing Minecraft! Well, I wouldn't say I am the best student to any extent but I am determined to work hard then if I do get bad grades I know that I tried my best. :smile:
Original post by Penguinfarts
Yeah I will just repeat what others have said about GCSEs being very subjective. I went to a school where my GCSEs were Mediocre at best A*AAAABBBBCD (Mainly down to the fact I spent my GCSE study break as an excuse to play Minecraft and didn't revise at all) However whenever I managed to mess up my A Levels and spend an extra year at a non-selective institution my GCSEs would have been in the top 10% for everyone who was there. So just do your best, make sure to get at least Bs in English and Maths and you will be fine, though since you are on TSR I expect you will be a good student and be able to do a lot better than that.
Original post by adoodling
Yeah I can't see how some people get a C at GCSE's and not revise. Most people who are getting high marks probably spent as much time on exam technique as they do revising on the actual content.

I was absolutely atrocious at school (14 years ago since I did my GCSE's), I did zero revision, maybe spent half an hour on each subjects coursework and still got a B in Math as its something I've always been naturally good at (was winning regional chess tournaments and getting silvers in that national math award they do before I started rebelling).

English D, English lit D, Double Science DD, the rest E's.

And yes I've regretted not applying myself in school EVERY day, finally going to Uni with a mature outlook and can't wait to apply myself in getting the marks I'm capable of.
I should do this however I'm achieving a range of results at the moment and I haven't completedmock tests for any subject.

Do the best you can. All I can say is REVISE. Don't slack off when it comes to mocks because, no it's not the end of the world if your mocks aren't that great- I did much better in my gcses than in my mocks. However, revising for mocks helps you with the information long term so you'll have less topics you'll have to revise from scratch in the real things. Do revision all of this year. Year eleven goes by incredibly quickly and you need to make the most of your time. Don't waste time doing revision on topics you know you're good at because it makes you feel more confident being able to get things right, focus on what you fail on again and again. Give your weakest subjects the largest amount of your time. Remember that you need the maths and english gcses, you'll have to resit them if you fail. Make sure you're getting the best possible grades you can in them, and look into what grades you need for the next stage of your life so you don't have any disappointments when applying to college (if you're doing that).

Go to after school revision sessions. Just do it. Your teachers are offering you extra time, take it! I know it's so easy to go out with friends or blow it off to go home. But you really need to go on topics where you require improvement. If you feel you won't focus at home, stay after school and do your own revision in the library ( if you're allowed, that's what we do at my school). You should allow yourself to still have time with friends so you don't burn yourself out, but from the start of the year do and hour or two on your worst topics on days with no school. When you get very close to the exams, you need to dedicate a lot more of your time on the weekend to gcses.
Reply 27
Original post by itsbillie
Do the best you can. All I can say is REVISE. Don't slack off when it comes to mocks because, no it's not the end of the world if your mocks aren't that great- I did much better in my gcses than in my mocks. However, revising for mocks helps you with the information long term so you'll have less topics you'll have to revise from scratch in the real things. Do revision all of this year. Year eleven goes by incredibly quickly and you need to make the most of your time. Don't waste time doing revision on topics you know you're good at because it makes you feel more confident being able to get things right, focus on what you fail on again and again. Give your weakest subjects the largest amount of your time. Remember that you need the maths and english gcses, you'll have to resit them if you fail. Make sure you're getting the best possible grades you can in them, and look into what grades you need for the next stage of your life so you don't have any disappointments when applying to college (if you're doing that).

Go to after school revision sessions. Just do it. Your teachers are offering you extra time, take it! I know it's so easy to go out with friends or blow it off to go home. But you really need to go on topics where you require improvement. If you feel you won't focus at home, stay after school and do your own revision in the library ( if you're allowed, that's what we do at my school). You should allow yourself to still have time with friends so you don't burn yourself out, but from the start of the year do and hour or two on your worst topics on days with no school. When you get very close to the exams, you need to dedicate a lot more of your time on the weekend to gcses.

Thanks for the detailed reply! When I start year 11 I will probably spend the first term working on any final coursework I have whilst spending a few hours a week learning exam technique so later on in the year all I would need to do is to learn the actual topic. What revision techniques do you recommend?
LOL this is my grade boundary:
A* - Amazing!
A - Excellent!
B - Good
C - Could have done better
D - Crap
E - Piece of ****
F and below - RIP my life and everything I own
I'd say A - good
B - average/bordering good
C - pretty bad but not terrible if it's a subject you struggle with
The average grade is C+ just so you know. If you think you are better than most then go for B and up. If you think you are average aim a bit lower, it's all up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am entering year 11 and I was just wondering what is regarded as good, average and bad results at GCSE level compared to the rest of the population as I don't know what target I should set myself. Some people say that their A's and B's are bad but for me that seems really good.

Thanks!:smile:

I did no revision and got A*AAAABBBBBC
For me these were bad. Considering I want to apply to some top unis. But its all subjective.

For me A* is really good
A is great
Bs are good but only in small numbers. So if you get 13Bs that would not look great.
Anything below a B is honestly bad considering how unbelievably easy it is to get a B.

Honestly A levels and AS levels are far more important. GCSEs will only be important if you are applying to a really competitive courses.
(edited 6 years ago)
Asian grading system...

A* - above average.
A - average.
B - bad.
C - terrible.
D - disowned.
F - forgotten.

Spoiler

Original post by alanaro
All A*s - tasty
All As - good
All Bs - average
All Cs - bad
All Ds - very bad
All Es - very very bad
All Fs - very very very bad
All Us - sloth

Sloths are actually quite intelligent
Original post by wbnurse
Oh how I regret getting sh!t GCSES 😔 thinking I was untouchable but I wasn't so untouchable when I picked up my script and it spelt FUDGE. C'S are an achievement in my eyes 😂

At least I'm not the only one who got terrible grades lmfao
Haha easy? That's funny, considering most people don't get those.
Original post by loooopppyyy
I was absolutely atrocious at school (14 years ago since I did my GCSE's), I did zero revision, maybe spent half an hour on each subjects coursework and still got a B in Math as its something I've always been naturally good at (was winning regional chess tournaments and getting silvers in that national math award they do before I started rebelling).

English D, English lit D, Double Science DD, the rest E's.

And yes I've regretted not applying myself in school EVERY day, finally going to Uni with a mature outlook and can't wait to apply myself in getting the marks I'm capable of.

Better than mine, I got 1 D, 1 E and 1 F then all Us
I am entering year 11 and I was just wondering what is regarded as good, average and bad results at GCSE level compared to the rest of the population as I don't know what target I should set myself. Some people say that their A's and B's are bad but for me that seems really good.

Thanks!:smile:

I would say:
Bs/6s are average
As/A*s/7s/8s/9s are good
Ds/4s and below are bad
Cs/5s are ok, but slightly below average
I'm hoping for 7s and 8s and maybe 1 or 2 9s
Reply 38
9/A **- exceptionally good - only 5% of the students will attain this grade
8/A* - pretty good
7/B - good
6/B - OK
5/C - You scraped through
4/C - The bare minimum
3/D - really awful
2/E- totally beyond awful
1/F- honestly did you only fill in your name.
Original post by PenguinEmperor
Yeah I will just repeat what others have said about GCSEs being very subjective. I went to a school where my GCSEs were Mediocre at best A*AAAABBBBCD (Mainly down to the fact I spent my GCSE study break as an excuse to play Minecraft and didn't revise at all) However whenever I managed to mess up my A Levels and spend an extra year at a non-selective institution my GCSEs would have been in the top 10% for everyone who was there. So just do your best, make sure to get at least Bs in English and Maths and you will be fine, though since you are on TSR I expect you will be a good student and be able to do a lot better than that.

You call those mediocre you absolute madman?!?!?!

Quick Reply

Latest