The Student Room Group

Healthy shopping list

Hi guys just wanted some understanding of my situation: I live next door to a sainsuburys and tesco but no lidl or aldi, so which of the two is cheaper?

I'm wanting to get in a heavy protein content (220g a day) without meat or chicken (as I would have to go to the butchers for that not the supper market so it will be less frequent) so mostly fish will have to hit my requirements as it is the easiest to obtain.

For my meals what are some good options for breakfast lunch and dinner?
Reply 1
Original post by TrojanH
Hi guys just wanted some understanding of my situation: I live next door to a sainsuburys and tesco but no lidl or aldi, so which of the two is cheaper?

I'm wanting to get in a heavy protein content (220g a day) without meat or chicken (as I would have to go to the butchers for that not the supper market so it will be less frequent) so mostly fish will have to hit my requirements as it is the easiest to obtain.

For my meals what are some good options for breakfast lunch and dinner?

For cheap protein, could you try liver, kidney, heart, prawns, etc? Even the small stores usually have that sort of stuff for cheap in the frozen sections.
Reply 2
Original post by Davalla
For cheap protein, could you try liver, kidney, heart, prawns, etc? Even the small stores usually have that sort of stuff for cheap in the frozen sections.

Hi mate like my OP says most of it will have to come from fish.

Even with an expensive diet, like good cuts and what not, how much would you ball park my bill to be? £40 a week?
Is it a Tesco Express you live next to? If so, I seem to remember they're more expensive. Same with the Sainsburys Local.
Reply 4
Cheap protein lentils (calorie for calorie as high in protein as beef) you can get a whole bag for a pound and go well with pasta or potato which are obviously cheap. Quorn is a cheaper sub for meat and high in protein low in fat. Beans are also a cheap sub for meat and you can make chilli con carne or just beans on toast their normally 30 p a can or even cheaper. For breakfast porridge oats are super crap big bag for a pound with maybe a banana as their like 15p each.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is it a Tesco Express you live next to? If so, I seem to remember they're more expensive. Same with the Sainsburys Local.

Aye I would go for like milk and eggs but for weekly shop the tesco extra is 5 minute walk down the road.
Reply 6
Original post by Hollyht
Cheap protein lentils (calorie for calorie as high in protein as beef) you can get a whole bag for a pound and go well with pasta or potato which are obviously cheap. Quorn is a cheaper sub for meat and high in protein low in fat. Beans are also a cheap sub for meat and you can make chilli con carne or just beans on toast their normally 30 p a can or even cheaper. For breakfast porridge oats are super crap big bag for a pound with maybe a banana as their like 15p each.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks those are great alternatives. I dunno how I could eat a bulk lot of lentils as I imagine it would be 3-5x more in grams than the equivalent in beef. Beans wouldn't be the cheapest thing as everything aside from Heinz just leaves me with a poor taste, like getting off brand Cheerios, just taste stale.
Mince meat 750G @ Tesco £2.25. Use 100g/day which give around 18g+ protein.

Frozen sausages £0.99-£1.09 pack of 20. Generally 7g protein, so three a day nets you 21g.

Whey from MYP is cheapest. They also run several discounts

Quick Reply