The Student Room Group

Rejected from clearing choice 😑

Hello everyone, basically on results day after calling up surrey university i was given a provisional offer to study psychology. I had to refer myslef by 5pm on the 19th of August and did so. Today after checking UCAS track i saw that my application was "unsuccessful". Is that even possible? I was given an offer in the first place... since is a week after results day there are not many clearing vacancies available either. I seriously don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Is it even possible to be rejected after i got an offer?
Reply 1
The first thing I would do is call them up tomorrow, if they confirm that you can't get a place, call up a few other universities as there are definitely some clearing places left.

If none of these options work then there's always the option of re-taking some of you A-Level exams which could get you into one of the unis you originally picked
I would phone the university on Monday to see what's going on. If they've offered you the place, I doubt they can redraw it.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your a level grades?
Reply 4
Original post by alouette-
I would phone the university on Monday to see what's going on. If they've offered you the place, I doubt they can redraw it.

I don't even know. They took so long to make a decision and now I have not mamy alternative options... are universities even allowed to act like this?
Reply 5
Original post by Cocopops121
If you don't mind me asking, what are your a level grades?

I got ABB, but when i called them up they said for a place in psychology through clearing the entry requirments are ABB with no particular subject. They sent me an email saying they will make me a provisional offer if i refer myself before the deadline, which i did
Original post by Coconut29
I don't even know. They took so long to make a decision and now I have not mamy alternative options... are universities even allowed to act like this?

was there any reason given? It would seem very harsh to withdraw it without even contacting you by phone/email. I went through this process myself and in very rare cases they have withdrawn offers but usually when someone could not get hold of some evidence.

If they have phones available today ring them. You need more information.
Reply 7
Original post by skeptical_john
was there any reason given? It would seem very harsh to withdraw it without even contacting you by phone/email. I went through this process myself and in very rare cases they have withdrawn offers but usually when someone could not get hold of some evidence.

If they have phones available today ring them. You need more information.

Ikr! It is very harsh. I was not contacted by either phone or email and no reason was given either. The email just said "Unfortunately, on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful".
I used to call them up almost everyday to see how far/ what's is happening with my application, and everything seemed fine and positive. I also spoke to one of the clearing people to confirm if I was likely to get the place, because i didn't want to end up in the position i am at now, and the lady said that since i have been given an offer which i've accepted before the deadline i will be fine ( which i assumed meant I would get the place)
I called them today but their line are closed. I will call them up first thing in the morning and ask for explainations! And btw, did u end up getting the place at that uni?
Ikr! It is very harsh. I was not contacted by either phone or email and no reason was given either. The email just said "Unfortunately, on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful".
I used to call them up almost everyday to see how far/ what's is happening with my application, and everything seemed fine and positive. I also spoke to one of the clearing people to confirm if I was likely to get the place, because i didn't want to end up in the position i am at now, and the lady said that since i have been given an offer which i've accepted before the deadline i will be fine ( which i assumed meant I would get the place)
I called them today but their line are closed. I will call them up first thing in the morning and ask for explainations! And btw, did u end up getting the place at that uni?

I'm pretty sure they have to let you in if you received an offer, as long as you have evidence. So if you have an email saying you have an offer - use it.
Reply 9
Original post by A-LJLB
I'm pretty sure they have to let you in if you received an offer, as long as you have evidence. So if you have an email saying you have an offer - use it.

Well yes i do have an email clearing saying: "offer from university if surrey" as subject, and then " from the information you have provided ... we are pleased to be able to make a provisional offer." Does this allow then to reject me?
Well yes i do have an email clearing saying: "offer from university if surrey" as subject, and then " from the information you have provided ... we are pleased to be able to make a provisional offer." Does this allow then to reject me?

If I'm correct, then no, as you have proof of the offer
Ikr! It is very harsh. I was not contacted by either phone or email and no reason was given either.

I got through in the end thanks though I needed to get my college to send some information.

I don't know if the word 'provisional' applies any ambiguity on the offer? I did some research while I was waiting and I could not find anyone being rejected at this stage without a good reason. I dont know what your rights are at this stage? Need to speak to some experienced people on the forum.
I would check if they are open as monday is bank holiday. That is so annoying and very ridiculous for them to 'reject'. I wish you the best of luck with your application.

It sounds like an admin mix up. Call them on Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending