The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Thank you. Finally! You can't compare medicine to STEM. The fact that they have a earlier deadline for UCAS applications is an indicator of how overrated it is. You aren't special people!

I'm glad that you agree! It's only early so they can interview the cadinates - same with Oxbridge. Starting Chemisty soon and whilst I think that physics and maths are harder I would not say that biology (aka, medicine) is. It's a my easier to memorise the human body than do quantum mechanics..
Original post by Underscore__
Take your pick of any degree that isn't medicine, law, maths, proper engineering or a few of the sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile

boi I'd like to see you get a first in a Chinese and Russian degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CharlieGEM
Oh but that person doesn't actually say anything bad about medicine, is it not allowed?

It took you that long to notice the GEM after my username to fashion it into some kind of slur? Clearly you med students are really quick on the uptake.

I went down the path long enough to realise the stuff that I enjoy (lots of working out, the intellectual freedom to work on what I like and have my own opinions) mean far more to me than the benefits of a career in medicine.

The only way medicine doesn't restrict your life for around ten years is if you essentially drop off the treadmill, either by doing less than full time training or as a GP, or just by giving up. All of which are a bit of a waste of the investment in you (GP less so). Hey ho, there are plenty that swear allegiance to a medical career to get in then use the degree for their own ends.

I asked whether you applied to medicine because I'm sure before you applied you didn't have this attitude and you didn't hate on medicine.

But because things didn't go your way, you're now bitter and angry. It's ok, I'm done talking to you.

When you're in need of health advice or a GP appointment just be grateful that it's free.
Reply 283
Original post by Mrs House
I asked whether you applied to medicine because I'm sure before you applied you didn't have this attitude and you didn't hate on medicine.

But because things didn't go your way, you're now bitter and angry. It's ok, I'm done talking to you.

When you're in need of health advice or a GP appointment just be grateful that it's free.

It won't be free for much longer
Honestly I cant speak about medicine as ive not studied it but I think an underrated degree is physiotherapy, people tend to think its easy and all about massage. When in fact you need A's (some uni's accept a B) to get on and have to learn lots of biology in detail ie healing process/immune response at cellular level, the different neurons/tracts and to be able to identify which nerve is damaged and at what level based on symptoms. Ive found the Cardiorespiratory difficult too. There are so many pathologies/treatments to learn, the course is extremely full on.
Original post by Underscore__
Take your pick of any degree that isn't medicine, law, maths, proper engineering or a few of the sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile

define 'proper' engineering
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, but so can pretty much any other graduate of any other degree if they're themselves very employable. Well, not really, because there's no huge advantage over non-econ bachelors grads if it's simply a one year programme to get onto the same scheme - so it's not exactly a point against what I said.

Again, the difficulty one has in getting a job is not down to their degree by itself. Maybe they'll get interviews with just a degree, who knows. Maybe they won't. But my point is, no degree (with the obvious exceptions) is a straight path to a job, and some people especially think that some degrees (again with obvious exceptions) alone are this straight path to success - of which Law/Econ/Maths most commonly fall into. Hence why specifically they, are overrated, because the career prospect to effort required expectations set out are far above reality.

It doesn't meant they are bad degrees to do, because if the right person with right attitude towards both their uni studies and extracurricular involvements and the right mindset towards a career, does them, they will obviously do well for themselves.

You happy? Yes, the right person with a law degree or econ degree will do very well and so will the right person with an English degree, a Psychology degree etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed.
My head of science at sixth form constantly talked about how biology wasn't a real science since it didn't require any intuition or thinking outside the box whatsoever. So that i guess. He was often exagerrating to tease people but i see his point. Although not many people rate biology so I'm not sure if it counts as overrated.

Also I heard only 10% of law graduates actually become lawyers. That's awful
(edited 7 years ago)

Given that someone with a bit of intelligence could probably work out which of the applicants sitting in front of them I am, do you honestly think that mugging off a bunch of current medical students would have helped my application? Hence while applying I keep my opinions to myself. Now I'm not applying, I'm free to say what I like. Part of that able to have my own opinion thing I mentioned earlier.

Decent medical care is not free in this country. The NHS is generally good for acute things but can be abysmal at dealing with chronic or longstanding issues.
Original post by stereoashhh
My head of science at sixth form constantly talked about how biology wasn't a real science since it didn't require any intuition or thinking outside the box whatsoever. So that i guess. He was often exagerrating to tease people but i see his point. Although not many people rate biology so I'm not sure if it counts as overrated.

Also I heard only 10% of law graduates actually become lawyers. That's awful

It's a science, based on the fact that it is a study of living organisms. It's true that a large portion of it is being able to recall information, and less (than chemistry, and certainly physics) is about "working out" problems - that said, there's a fair amount of experimental work without which no science can thrive... So, as much as I hate to admit it, biology is a real science, in my eyes anyway! I mean, just look at the range of scientific papers and discoveries in Biology. Ok, it may draw on Chemistry and Physics concepts, but by no means is it just a memory game, especially when you get to final year undergrad, masters, PhD's and the sort.

I agree with you on Law though. It's one of the most popular degrees but there really aren't the jobs to go around.
I want to do it but Medicine. A lot of people who are born geniuses want to do it because they can but in reality they have no interest in it.
Original post by Saliency
It's a science, based on the fact that it is a study of living organisms. It's true that a large portion of it is being able to recall information, and less (than chemistry, and certainly physics) is about "working out" problems - that said, there's a fair amount of experimental work without which no science can thrive... So, as much as I hate to admit it, biology is a real science, in my eyes anyway! I mean, just look at the range of scientific papers and discoveries in Biology. Ok, it may draw on Chemistry and Physics concepts, but by no means is it just a memory game, especially when you get to final year undergrad, masters, PhD's and the sort.

I agree with you on Law though. It's one of the most popular degrees but there really aren't the jobs to go around.

At the higher levels biology pretty much becomes cellular engineering, there is a lot of maths, physics and chemistry involved. Biology I would say is far more intellectually challenging than people give it credit for.

Nonetheless i would say its slightly overrated because in terms of actual employ-ability its not on the levels of engineering, maths or physics. Its under rated i guess employ-ability wise so overrated as a degree if that makes sense.
You have so much time to mouth off about a profession. And that's not all you did...

I don't give a **** about your HCA days. No I haven't worked as a doctor but I certainly know more about the course, the job and the intellectuality of medicine.
Don't go talking about something you have no direct experience of.

It's ok for you to state something and back it up with facts but you're just ********ting

tfw you can spend the last 5 years of your life studying in a field, but a jumped up HCA with 8 months experience knows more than you
Original post by Akbar2k7
At the higher levels biology pretty much becomes cellular engineering, there is a lot of maths, physics and chemistry involved. Biology I would say is far more intellectually challenging than people give it credit for.

Nonetheless i would say its slightly overrated because in terms of actual employ-ability its not on the levels of engineering, maths or physics. Its under rated i guess employ-ability wise so overrated as a degree if that makes sense.

I agree to an extent, if comparing to employability of STEM degrees, it is lacking but, comparing to degree subjects as a whole, I don't think that it's over-rated at all.

A large portion of people studying biology will go onto do postgrad, more so than a lot of other subjects and then a large majority of these will go into research. Comparing this to something like law, only a small percentage will go on to take jobs in the law sector.
Given that someone with a bit of intelligence could probably work out which of the applicants sitting in front of them I am, do you honestly think that mugging off a bunch of current medical students would have helped my application? Hence while applying I keep my opinions to myself. Now I'm not applying, I'm free to say what I like. Part of that able to have my own opinion thing I mentioned earlier.

Decent medical care is not free in this country. The NHS is generally good for acute things but can be abysmal at dealing with chronic or longstanding issues.

lol - calm down.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
tfw you can spend the last 5 years of your life studying in a field, but a jumped up HCA with 8 months experience knows more than you

Brb gonna quit med to be a HCA
Brb gonna quit med to be a HCA

Don't think you have the down to earth manner to make a go of it 😂
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

A jumped up HCA with a much higher UKCAT than you if you don't mind 😂
A jumped up HCA with a much higher UKCAT than you if you don't mind 😂

Damn, you sure told him. Did you pass your 11+ as well? Well done! We're so impressed. :rofl:
Original post by hopefuldentist10
Damn, you sure told him. Did you pass your 11+ as well? Well done! We're so impressed. :rofl:

Maybe I won't take the opinion of someone who seemingly can't get decent grades in their exams to save their life and then blames the exam boards, too seriously. IMHO A-levels had regressed to the point of routine and the departure from that back in the direction of the standard when I took them (when some natural talent was actually required) is a welcome change.

Latest

Trending

Trending