The Student Room Group

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I know. Lions it meat and fish eat other fish etc.

I know it happens but for one, lions don't store their meat in factories for months/ years before they finally slaughter them. They don't make money out of it, and it's for survival and not greed.

Another thing, humans don't need meat to survive.

But it is the easiest, tastiest source of protein out there.
Reply 21
Also forgot to mention OP, expect to get trolled quite a bit for this with non-serious replies. Just gonna be people whoring for pos rep.

Original post by cbreef
@TheonlyMrsHolmes
And I'm pretty sure most slaughterhouses make death as fast as possible, like by electric shock to the head for example.

Does that make it ok for you? Animals are being killed for your pleasure.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Most people realise that there are lot more important issues to address in the world at this current time than how a chicken is killed.

This is what I used to say, but then I realised that is one of the most pretentious excuses out there for meat eaters.

A life is a life.

If you can prevent inhumane behaviour by switching your milk to soy milk then why wouldn't you?
I gave up on eating meat a couple of years ago when I saw a lamb having its head chopped off in front of me. I tried going vegan a while back and I found it fairly hard mainly because it's incredibly hard to find someone local who does good vegan pizzas (majority of vegan cafes are in Central London) and vegan milk is so expensive. I love chocolate soya milk though.

I like making zoodles and courgetti so idk maybe at uni I'll have two vegan days or something and the rest vegetarian.
Original post by 0range
Also forgot to mention OP, expect to get trolled quite a bit for this with non-serious replies. Just gonna be people whoring for pos rep.

Does that make it ok for you? Animals are being killed for your pleasure.

Pretty much... I like meat.
Okay I didn't listen to it cause I can't listen to the sound right now but that most likely isn't in the UK as its illegal for any animal to be killed in front of another animal and most animals are stunned out of the sight of the other animals. The way the vessels in a sheep are means that slitting the animals throat is the most effective way of killing the animal and for the most part they are dead instantly. Having seen many animals been PTS I can tell you that often animals will still move after death just due to the nervous system shutting down, so don't let that put you off, anything that dies evn naturally can twitch after death.

Animals in this country are raised in some of the best conditions in the world and for the most part sheep have an amazing life just chilling in fields all day.They will have their diet specially set out for them, perfect grass, worming, vaccines etc. If people didn't eat animals then we wouldn't keep them. People would have no use for cows, sheep, chickens etc and they would become endangered/extinct like all the other animals that we have no use for or take up land that we need for crops.

I justify eating meat through having free range or locally sourced meat. I know that these animals have had good lives and having in some cases even helped raise these animals on placement I know that they couldn't have had better lives. If you buy UK meat (which has a red tractor) for the most part you can guarantee the animals have optimum welfare.

Though i do admit that some things in the industry do need improving, but this will happen over time, especially when you compare the farming industry now to what it was 20-30 years ago. Also you have to admit that agriculture in general harms wildlife and other animals whether its from crop growth or for meat. No industry is perfect and improvement is needed overall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by SuperHuman98

In terms of milk, I read that cows, goats etc. WANT to be milked it gives them pleasure.

Cows only produce milk when they're pregnant. Can you see where I'm going with this? A non-pregnant cow is pretty useless for the fat cats that wanna make money.
This is what I used to say, but then I realised that is one of the most pretentious excuses out there for meat eaters.

A life is a life.

If you can prevent inhumane behaviour by switching your milk to soy milk then why wouldn't you?

I'm sorry, but a the life of a chicken, cow, goat, bull, lamb, etc. Is NOT equal to that of a human, under any circumstances.
Surely you'd be fine drinking organic milk produced on a farm, cows don't get harmed, it needs to be done otherwise their udders get swollen. At the end of the day they're just animals, and I don't really care when I eat meat.
why can't you have tea or coffee?

A life is a life.

Cost, taste, availability.... these are the ones that immediately come to my head.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I gave up on eating meat a couple of years ago when I saw a lamb having its head chopped off in front of me. I tried going vegan a while back and I found it fairly hard mainly because it's incredibly hard to find someone local who does good vegan pizzas (majority of vegan cafes are in Central London) and vegan milk is so expensive. I love chocolate soya milk though.

I like making zoodles and courgetti so idk maybe at uni I'll have two vegan days or something and the rest vegetarian.

Dairy is the hardest because it feels like it is in everything.

But meh, I will literally stop drinking tea or eating cereal if I can't find a good vegan alternative. It's honestly just so not worth it. It's so, so, so not worth it and I can't believe it took me this long to realise it.
I eat meat because it's something that I have grown to do. It's been part of me since I was young so I am used to it.

I am actually going vegetarian soon and I am trying now to eat meat a lot less and in a few weeks time I won't eat any at all.
I am not sure about veganism tbh. It's not something I would do right now but perhaps in the future I will.
I'm sorry, but a the life of a chicken, cow, goat, bull, lamb, etc. Is NOT equal to that of a human, under any circumstances.

No that isn't the life of a chicken, cow, goat, bull or lamb. Even if it isn't equal, it doesn't give you the right to kill.

But that is what humans have decided, that animals are "not equal" and therefore take advantage of their lives. But humans have said that in history of many thing, as someone with a lot of pigment in my skin, I wasn't equal to other humans once either. But eih, look at me now? :smile:
Reply 34
Most people realise that there are lot more important issues to address in the world at this current time than how a chicken is killed.

So? It's not like not eating meat takes up such an amount of time and resources that there's little room for thinking about other things...
And what more important issues? If you're talking about the environment, our diet ties in heavily with that.
That is great :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
I eat meat because it's something that I have grown to do. It's been part of me since I was young so I am used to it.

I am actually going vegetarian soon and I am trying now to eat meat a lot less and in a few weeks time I won't eat any at all.
I am not sure about veganism tbh. It's not something I would do right now but perhaps in the future I will.

I'm glad your going vegetarian.
Original post by 0range
So obv you feel strongly against killing animals for our pleasure, which is totally reasonable. I do too. Now you say you've tried going vegan but couldn't because you couldn't resist a cup of tea or cake??? I mean that's just poor effort and you can do better. There are alternatives to milk and there are vegan cakes. Try and build your self discapline.

Also going to vegan events like Vegfest or Vevolution will help greatly with how to approach veganism and it's good motivation to keep saving the animals and the planet :biggrin:

Being a vegan is not saving the planet!
Reply 38

Nice specieism. Who are you to decide what intrinsic value a life holds?
I bet people thought the same about black people back in the day when everyone was all to happy to keep a slave.
Reply 39
It's horrible yeah
But I know I'm not going to personally make a difference, and the animals are already dead when you buy the meat. So I just eat meat and ignore the feels.

Quick Reply

Latest