The Student Room Group

"Full Time" A Levels

Hi,
I am due to start college in September and I'm doing 4 AS courses. I was wondering how much time you typically spend at college during A Levels because at school, you're there for about 30 hours a week. How much time do you (roughly) spend at college a week? Also, how many hours of "homework" do you get for each subject?

Original post by Geek5
Hi,
I am due to start college in September and I'm doing 4 AS courses. I was wondering how much time you typically spend at college during A Levels because at school, you're there for about 30 hours a week. How much time do you (roughly) spend at college a week? Also, how many hours of "homework" do you get for each subject?

I had 15 hours a week I think.. sounds low but I think that's right for 3 subjects (20 for 4 at AS).

I guess homework depends on what's achieved in class and what the teachers set. Eg my maths teacher didn't set a huge amount of homework but it was up to us to put as much in as we wanted to get out, so honestly I spent a fair bit of time outside doing non-homework practice for maths (and indeed all my subjects, which is the key to getting good grades).

My Chem teacher on the other hand would set whole booklets to be done over a week.. and they take a fair few hours, but then again it's over a few days so its not too bad.
I did 3 A levels & in my AS year I had 16 and a half hours a week. 5h 30m per course a week.

That's usually the average most people do so you're looking at approximately 22 hours per week for 4 AS levels.

Edit: As for homework, that all depends on how much time you give yourself once at home. I used to have sometimes even 3 hour breaks between lessons so that was sometimes homework/revision time. When at home I wouldn't start any homework or revision until 4pm and then I'd give my self until around 8pm to do all work and revision. Seems like a lot but I did 3 essay based subject which required a lot of work outside of college
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest