2 - way too tired to play a game requiring brain use/skill and concentration
3 - I'm making a pinta game in T-10 minutes
be there or I'll cry :colone:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
1 - didnt get this notif
2 - way too tired to play a game requiring brain use/skill and concentration
3 - I'm making a pinta game in T-10 minutes
be there or I'll cry :colone:

Play one game and I'll join on pinta :colone:.
Everyone please take your time to mourn over the loss of OP
She got banned from TSR :frown:
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Damn, that really puts things in electrospective.
Original post by XOR_
Play one game and I'll join on pinta :colone:.

no i am in no state
I will have a quick pinta game
gtg brush teeth now
c u soon (on pinta or :colone: )
Original post by PrincessBO$$

lol #rekt
One of the best games I've played in a while:
https://www.chess.com/live/game/1705971536

Gosh, 45|45 takes the life outta me. My games almost never reach proper endgames and I've never studied the endgame in any detail at all (so I'm generally very bad at them) so this was a real thinking test for me. One thing I made sure is that I didn't care if I won, drew or lost, I would make sure I grinded out this endgame to the very best of my ability and I was very happy with the win. I think the Silman strategy lessons on Chess Mentor helped me a lot in this game.
Omg I just put it into lichess: 0 inaccuracies, mistakes and blunders and only 10 average centipawn loss over the course of 41 moves... wtf?!
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Omg I just put it into lichess: 0 inaccuracies, mistakes and blunders and only 10 average centipawn loss over the course of 41 moves... wtf?!

Out of interest ran your game through chess.com's max and it gives a preferable assessment of 5 average centipawn loss. :wink: Nothing but "excellent" and "good" moves from either player until move 33 (you having the larger share of "excellent" moves, hence your advantage - I presume "good" moves are moves which technically lose some centipawns but aren't serious enough to be considered inaccuracies) when white plays an inaccuracy. White plays a couple more before the horrific blunder (though his position is already very weak of course) 38. Re4. Nicely played. :tongue: It seems your strategic ability is strong. Myself I am tactically okay (broke 1900 in the trainer today), but tactics flow from a superior position, and I let people even of very low ratings walk all over me in positional terms and then no tactical nous can save me. I might try some more of those lessons if you think they helped you. :beard:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Out of interest ran your game through chess.com's max and it gives a preferable assessment of 5 average centipawn loss. :wink: Nothing but "excellent" and "good" moves from either player until move 33 (you having the larger share of "excellent" moves, hence your advantage - I presume "good" moves are moves which technically lose some centipawns but aren't serious enough to be considered inaccuracies) when white plays an inaccuracy. White plays a couple more before the horrific blunder (though his position is already very weak of course) 38. Re4. Nicely played. :tongue: It seems your strategic ability is strong. Myself I am tactically okay (broke 1900 in the trainer today), but tactics flow from a superior position, and I let people even of very low ratings walk all over me in positional terms and then no tactical nous can save me. I might try some more of those lessons if you think they helped you. :beard:

I don't have max since I'm only platinum membership but thanks analysing it! :biggrin:
Yeah I get what you mean from earlier though, even though this guy was sub 1500 he took a hell of a lot of effort to beat, simply because the position never got too complicated so I had to gradually build up a positional advantage and grind the endgame (using every morsel of my strategic ability lol) to convert it. Problem with playing against 2.Bc4 is that you always get a slightly stronger position as black but it can simplify too much (d5 eventually must be played which in fact simplifies the position some).

I never used to be good at strategy now but I'm improving - a lot of the ideas I used in this game I had seen up to 3/4 moves in advance which is nice because your opponent walks right into your plans :smile:.
I did notice that you're very strong on tactics trainer; I've just broken 1800. So I think your tactical ability is fine for now, definitely have a go at what I did and do some of IM Silman's lessons on mentor where you play through games, it's very instructive (and difficult!).
Also I spent a lot of time on my moves, really draining but I get accurate play out of it which I couldn't produce in blitz.

Also it might be useful to note that watching ChessNetwork has helped me massively with my chess thinking; I'd try to emulate his kind of thought patterns when he's playing standard games.

Game?
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Game?

Mentioned above: https://www.chess.com/live/game/1705971536

I ended pressing up the link out of curiosity, but I was actually asking if 13 wanted to play a game:tongue:

You want to play one?
Open game anyway : https://lichess.org/8MlfjpCB
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
I ended pressing up the link out of curiosity, but I was actually asking if 13 wanted to play a game:tongue:

You want to play one?

Oh right lol, yeah I'll play a game :smile:.
I don't have max since I'm only platinum membership but thanks analysing it! :biggrin:
Yeah I get what you mean from earlier though, even though this guy was sub 1500 he took a hell of a lot of effort to beat, simply because the position never got too complicated so I had to gradually build up a positional advantage and grind the endgame (using every morsel of my strategic ability lol) to convert it. Problem with playing against 2.Bc4 is that you always get a slightly stronger position as black but it can simplify too much (d5 eventually must be played which in fact simplifies the position some).

I never used to be good at strategy now but I'm improving - a lot of the ideas I used in this game I had seen up to 3/4 moves in advance which is nice because your opponent walks right into your plans :smile:.
I did notice that you're very strong on tactics trainer; I've just broken 1800. So I think your tactical ability is fine for now, definitely have a go at what I did and do some of IM Silman's lessons on mentor where you play through games, it's very instructive (and difficult!).
Also I spent a lot of time on my moves, really draining but I get accurate play out of it which I couldn't produce in blitz.

No worries. Yeah all the chess wisdom on 2. Bc4 says that it's a load of crap, but I don't really do amazingly well against it - certainly better than against a more conventional Sicilian structure for white like the Yugoslav attack, but still. It often seems to lead to more watered down (and frequently lifeless) positions as you suggest. Though truth be told I quite enjoy the endgame.

Yeah I've looked at some of those lessons but I didn't really take it in. I suppose as with anything you have to work hard and smart to git gud. And I guess it does come down to the time control - I think playing classical, or at least rapid, chess actually improves your blitz skill more than playing blitz in a way, as you have time to think over your moves and work out good strategies in certain positions, which you can then just replicate at speed in a blitz game. Whereas just playing blitz, you're never really thinking, and you make the same mistakes over and over. I'd like to play with proper hardcore tournament time controls, but I'd need it to be in a tournament to have motivation. If I am able to make a team in Warwick next year, the D team if needs be (I dunno how selective the C is - there's A,B,C,D; A and B are misleading as they are basically just as strong), then I guess I can do that.

With regards to Chess Network, I've watched loads of his videos and he has a very organised and lucid thought process which is insightful. Once again though it is a matter of knowing the correct process vs. actually applying it I guess.
Oh right lol, yeah I'll play a game :smile:.

Can't type in spectators room, but wanted to say I'm just looking for a way to win :tongue:
No worries. Yeah all the chess wisdom on 2. Bc4 says that it's a load of crap, but I don't really do amazingly well against it - certainly better than against a more conventional Sicilian structure for white like the Yugoslav attack, but still. It often seems to lead to more watered down (and frequently lifeless) positions as you suggest. Though truth be told I quite enjoy the endgame.

Yeah I've looked at some of those lessons but I didn't really take it in. I suppose as with anything you have to work hard and smart to git gud. And I guess it does come down to the time control - I think playing classical, or at least rapid, chess actually improves your blitz skill more than playing blitz in a way, as you have time to think over your moves and work out good strategies in certain positions, which you can then just replicate at speed in a blitz game. Whereas just playing blitz, you're never really thinking, and you make the same mistakes over and over. I'd like to play with proper hardcore tournament time controls, but I'd need it to be in a tournament to have motivation. If I am able to make a team in Warwick next year, the D team if needs be (I dunno how selective the C is - there's A,B,C,D; A and B are misleading as they are basically just as strong), then I guess I can do that.

With regards to Chess Network, I've watched loads of his videos and he has a very organised and lucid thought process which is insightful. Once again though it is a matter of knowing the correct process vs. actually applying it I guess.

2.Bc4 can be a very tough nut to crack sometimes. Dead positions and such. I mean, it's incredibly unambitious for white and plays for a draw at best, but at the same time it doesn't give black too much play either, maybe in the endgame he wins if white isn't accurate.
Though I've actually found I'm starting to enjoy the endgame in general a lot more.

You're right about blitz; you could play 1000 games and still not improve simply because you're repeating the same mistakes and not learning (that's not to say you can't learn from blitz though). Long, stressful, nervy games with loads of thinking is the best way to improve XD.

I can't wait to try to join a team at Warwick, will be awesome to play in some OTB tournaments with long time controls etc. :biggrin:.

Emulating his kind of thought process takes practice, but it's a good guideline.
That was a nice game, although way too many mistakes on my part. I was always aware of the f5 break I had available but clearly didn't evaluate it correctly and thus didn't play it when it was the top move for a couple of moves. Also one Qa5+ I calculated quite deeply but refuted it since there's no way I'd come up with Bxf3 attacking his queen when his rook is attacking mine lol (this was about 5 moves into the line though).

Worst mistake was calculating the Ne5 line and not realising that he simply has Be2 at the end; only realised when I played Bg4 and was hoping that he wouldn't see Be2 XD.

Endgame was fine (weird how I seem to be so accurate in endgames) but lol I lost forced checkmate sequence. I realised it at the time too and I was like noooo he can delay the game one move longer by sacking his other rook!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest