The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Is the London College of Fashion hard to get into?

I am going to be applying for LCF this year and i really want to get in. What are some tips for standing out from the crowd and what are some things not to do?
Reply 1
Original post by Kagiaa
I am going to be applying for LCF this year and i really want to get in. What are some tips for standing out from the crowd and what are some things not to do?

Hi, I'm starting at LCF in September! I don't know what course it is you're planning to apply for but I can tell you my expirence of applying. So I applied for Fashion Print, the first thing I had to do when applying was send them a digital mini portfolio. I had about a week to prepare this from when they emailed me, I know it's pretty much the same for all of the creative courses. So just be prepared! Have a good range of work, and research!

They'll base wether or not you get an interview based on this mini portfolio so it's super important. When I got to interview, I made sure I had a strong portfolio. I tried to make it quite tactile, for instance I had a bunch of my prints printed onto calico and bound them into a little book and tied it into my portfolio. Everyone at the interview seemed to have A1 and A2 portfolios, I had an A3 portfolio- I don't know if this went in my favour, made me stand out? I also took two sketchbooks to the interview, in all honesty they seemed equally interested in them as my portfolio.

They also read my personal statement and said it was really good at the interview, so I was really chuffed ahaha Personal statements really do matter

They seemed really interested in what I had to say, even more so then my actual work. They asked all the obvious questions like 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time?', 'why LCF?' and 'what fashion designers do you like?'. Be prepared for every question they ask, don't sound rehearsed but have a general idea of what you're going to say. I also spoke about graduate work that I liked, they have all the student portfolios on a website called showcase I think it's called so have a look at the students work!

I can't think of much more to say, if you have anymore questions let me know!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ciaracc
Hi, I'm starting at LCF in September! I don't know what course it is you're planning to apply for but I can tell you my expirence of applying. So I applied for Fashion Print, the first thing I had to do when applying was send them a digital mini portfolio. I had about a week to prepare this from when they emailed me, I know it's pretty much the same for all of the creative courses. So just be prepared! Have a good range of work, and research!

They'll base wether or not you get an interview based on this mini portfolio so it's super important. When I got to interview, I made sure I had a strong portfolio. I tried to make it quite tactile, for instance I had a bunch of my prints printed onto calico and bound them into a little book and tied it into my portfolio. Everyone at the interview seemed to have A1 and A2 portfolios, I had an A3 portfolio- I don't know if this went in my favour, made me stand out? I also took two sketchbooks to the interview, in all honesty they seemed equally interested in them as my portfolio.

They also read my personal statement and said it was really good at the interview, so I was really chuffed ahaha Personal statements really do matter

They seemed really interested in what I had to say, even more so then my actual work. They asked all the obvious questions like 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time?', 'why LCF?' and 'what fashion designers do you like?'. Be prepared for every question they ask, don't sound rehearsed but have a general idea of what you're going to say. I also spoke about graduate work that I liked, they have all the student portfolios on a website called showcase I think it's called so have a look at the students work!

I can't think of much more to say, if you have anymore questions let me know!

Thanks so much for replying!I am going to be applying for the hair and makeup for fashion course. I am currently writing my personal statement and i am so scared to not get it right! what types of things did you write about in your PS? How did you start your opening paragraph? I know i have passion for the course as its something i truly want to do so i feel like that will be shown through my writing. Also isn't the PS the first thing they see and then they ask for the mini portfolio and then ask you to come to an interview? The PS is defiantly the thing that is worrying me the most!
I also do makeup looks on Instagram as its something i like to do in my spare time and i don't know how much of that i should say about it and i was thinking of having a page in my portfolio dedicated to my looks i do on myself to show what i can also do on myself as they will see more of my skills which are relevant still.

I'm defiantly trying my best to show myself off to them as i hear that there aren't many places on the courses so its important to stand out.
hey! I really want to get in London college of fashion so can u tell me about any entrance exam u have written to get in OR are there and scholarships for international students,i would really like to know about the scholarships because I can't afford to get in without a scholarship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending