The Student Room Group

Is ABBC at AS good enough??

As above..

I got A in French, Bs in English Literature and Spanish, C in Maths....

Also, is there any point in applying to Oxford with these results? I wanted to study English Literature with French/Spanish....

Additionally, would there be any point in doing Maths at A2 and resitting C1/C2? Maths is a bit irrelevant to my course but I don't want to drop it :frown:

Thank youuuu
Its AMAZING :eek: well done
You've got 4 really good grades!!! Defiitely apply for oxford!
Maybe you should drop maths, 3 really good A2s is all u need to get into uni
It might be a bit harder to look like a competitive applicant. That joint honours course will have you do at least one - if not both - the relevant admissions tests though... So if there are really no other unis you like the look of, it may still be worth a shot. Or you could apply post-A2, having achieved your full A Level results, which might work better for you...

Are you planning on getting your Spanish AS remarked at all? Or doing any retakes on that?

It would be better to focus on three A2s and do well in them, rather than attempting to redo Maths, imho :yes:
Original post by I am Kira
Its AMAZING :eek: well done
You've got 4 really good grades!!! Defiitely apply for oxford!
Maybe you should drop maths, 3 really good A2s is all u need to get into uni

Thank you..:hugs:

I guess dropping maths would make sense...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by siamesedaffodil
As above..

Also, is there any point in applying to Oxford with these results? I wanted to study English Literature with French/Spanish....

Additionally, would there be any point in doing Maths at A2 and resitting C1/C2? Maths is a bit irrelevant to my course but I don't want to drop it :frown:

Thank youuuu

Oxford place a fair bit of emphasis on your GCSEs, so if you've got a lot of A*s, then it's worth applying. If you haven't (and your school isn't particularly poor), it's probably not worth applying. Your AS grades are really good, but the competition to get into Oxford is incredibly high. You could gain a place, but your predicted grades, interview performance, and entrance test would have to stand out among those who are already the best there is, so it might not be worth applying - yes, it is just one out of five, but you'd have to dedicate a lot of time to the interview and entrance exam, probably to little avail. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but a lot of applicants will not only have the best GCSE grades, but also AAAA-AABB at AS and high predictions.

Essentially, I'd argue that it comes down to your GCSEs, as they will be used a lot in the application process.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It might be a bit harder to look like a competitive applicant. That joint honours course will have you do at least one - if not both - the relevant admissions tests though... So if there are really no other unis you like the look of, it may still be worth a shot. Or you could apply post-A2, having achieved your full A Level results, which might work better for you...

Are you planning on getting your Spanish AS remarked at all? Or doing any retakes on that?

It would be better to focus on three A2s and do well in them, rather than attempting to redo Maths, imho :yes:

I've requested a photocopy of my Spanish script back. I'm planning to get it remarked and I might remark English too... I was five marks away from an A and thirteen away from C...

But I guess I should just accept my grades and move on rather than wasting time and money on remarks..

Thank you for your help!!!!
I've requested a photocopy of my Spanish script back. I'm planning to get it remarked and I might remark English too... I was five marks away from an A and thirteen away from C...

But I guess I should just accept my grades and move on rather than wasting time and money on remarks..

Thank you for your help!!!!

You never know - it might work in your favour :smile: That said, going to Oxford is hardly the be-all-and-end-all. So if it can't/doesn't happen - for whatever reason - don't stress out about it or beat yourself up. Plenty of world-class uni depts in the UK that will offer that degree combination :yes:
I think it might be better for you to apply after you finish a2...those a great grades btw, work hard and you could easily get them up to A's. And yes resit C1/C2 if you plan on continuing maths, and do well in your A2 maths exams and you could easily get an A :smile: C1/C2 become a lot easier after you do C3/C4
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Oxford place a fair bit of emphasis on your GCSEs, so if you've got a lot of A*s, then it's worth applying. If you haven't (and your school isn't particularly poor), it's probably not worth applying. Your AS grades are really good, but the competition to get into Oxford is incredibly high. You could gain a place, but your predicted grades, interview performance, and entrance test would have to stand out among those who are already the best there is, so it might not be worth applying - yes, it is just one out of five, but you'd have to dedicate a lot of time to the interview and entrance exam, probably to little avail. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but a lot of applicants will not only have the best GCSE grades, but also AAAA-AABB at AS and high predictions.

Essentially, I'd argue that it comes down to your GCSEs, as they will be used a lot in the application process.

Thank you for your advice!! :smile:

I got 4 A*s, 3 As and 2 Bs at GCSE... I went to a private secondary school and I moved to a grammar school for Sixth Form... I guess compared to some other people in my old school/new school my grades aren't that great.. All of this would probably hinder my chances of getting into Oxford...

I should start looking at other unis :noonoo:
As above..

Thank youuuu

I applied to Oxford with ABC at AS and still got in (off to read Experimental Psychology in Oct). Your AS is already better than mine and if you're also confident in your GCSEs then DEFINITELY try!!!! There's no way to predict/know exactly what Oxford wants from a candidate, as long as they see strengths in you, which they understand are not always represented by grades (evident with many straight-A students being rejected pre-interview each year, and on the flip side, many with few As being accepted), they will want you! Be sure that you ace your pre-interview tests ELAT and MLAT, these are pretty much what determine whether you get an interview or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MoonVirgo
I applied to Oxford with ABC at AS and still got in (off to read Experimental Psychology in Oct). Your AS is already better than mine and if you're also confident in your GCSEs then DEFINITELY try!!!! There's no way to predict/know exactly what Oxford wants from a candidate, as long as they see strengths in you, which they understand are not always represented by grades (evident with many straight-A students being rejected pre-interview each year, and on the flip side, many with few As being accepted), they will want you! Be sure that you ace your pre-interview tests ELAT and MLAT, these are pretty much what determine whether you get an interview or not.

Omg WELL DONE!!!:yay::rave::party2::nutcase:
That's amaazzzinggggg!!

That gave me some hope! But I don't know if I should spend time stressing over ELAT/MLAT/interview,etc. when I could be focusing on my A2 subjects and nothing else...

Also, did you only do three AS? Or do they not look at the subject you drop or something? Thanks for your help!!
Omg WELL DONE!!!:yay::rave::party2::nutcase:
That's amaazzzinggggg!!

That gave me some hope! But I don't know if I should spend time stressing over ELAT/MLAT/interview,etc. when I could be focusing on my A2 subjects and nothing else...

Also, did you only do three AS? Or do they not look at the subject you drop or something? Thanks for your help!!

Thanks xx

You need to make sure you have the calibre and plenty of determination in spinning these plates, if you truly want Oxford with your entire heart you need to dedicate yourself to it THROUGH IT ALL. Spend the rest of the summer holiday before school doing past ELAT and MLAT papers and get as good as you can at them. This will be the best time for this because you won't have any school work yet. Your first term back would be busy with UCAS anyway polishing your PS etc so the school should understand that getting your application in (especially when you're catching the earlier Oxbridge deadline) would override your usual study a little because of the stress and extra work you need to put in for an Oxbridge application. Then keep practising past papers for those tests which will take place in November (bless you that you have two lol I only had TSA), and here's where the 'plate-spinning' comes in, you need to work SMART (not hard yet, this is for later) for your A2 subjects, so be extra alert in lessons (which is the time dedicated purely for your A-level studies, and outside of class you can think more about your tests and interview) and make sure you understand the materials and concepts so intensive revision would come easier later in the year.
Don't think too much about interviews before you actually get an invite from Oxford. But keep your mind active and loaded with subject-specific knowledge and insights, and find opportunities to train yourself in discussing comfortably and confidently on your subject with others, maybe hold a weekly book club or language club at school and get people who are also interested to bring their own materials in for discussion.

After you've got your invite, see if your English/Language teachers can hold mock interviews with you. This will be near the end-of-term and you might be having internal exams, but back at my school my teachers knew I was preparing for my interview so they took note of that and allowed me to prioritise that. But again work smart for your internal exams, and use these as indicators to see how well you can do even without putting your full mind into revision for them. If you did well regardless, it means that you've juggled the balls pretty well and should be fine with the A2 materials so far.

Then after your interview and after you've received the decision (hopefully it's a yes), THAT'S when you go full turbo in your A2 studies. Whatever you didn't quite follow back in the first term, you'll have to deal with those now and work extra hard in putting everything together with the new materials, The 'catch-up' phase (if you need any at all) shouldn't take too long. Then just keep working with past papers to get the exam skills, and just pace yourself steadily so you don't run out before May/June. You should be able to go full on with your A-levels for the second and the third term, this is when you focus on meeting your offers, it's just with Oxbridge applications we always have to work extra because of the intense UCAS period and the leading up to interviews that have distracted us from our studies a bit. It will require quite a lot of stamina. Just work smart in the first term, then work hard in the last two and you should be fine.

I've posted my story here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4269346
It can be done. I've done it so you definitely can/will too. There are just way too many people worrying over whether their grades are good enough to apply or not, I just hope that they see with my example that there's always a chance, and there's always a way. Last year this time I spoke to a girl on here and she had the same doubt and didn't go for it in the end, note that her AS was better than mine - the only difference was that I gave it a try nonetheless whilst she didn't, see, we could've both got in now if she had tried, and that one decision at that one moment would have determined the outcome. I just don't want another person to miss out like that. So I tell you what, please please try, cos you'll never know, and you can ALWAYS work hard towards it. :smile:

Yes I only did 3 AS plus EPQ. When I first started AS I found it quite overwhelming so I dropped a subject after the first term.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MoonVirgo
Thanks xx

You need to make sure you have the calibre and plenty of determination in spinning these plates, if you truly want Oxford with your entire heart you need to dedicate yourself to it THROUGH IT ALL. Spend the rest of the summer holiday before school doing past ELAT and MLAT papers and get as good as you can at them. This will be the best time for this because you won't have any school work yet. Your first term back would be busy with UCAS anyway polishing your PS etc so the school should understand that getting your application in (especially when you're catching the earlier Oxbridge deadline) would override your usual study a little because of the stress and extra work you need to put in for an Oxbridge application. Then keep practising past papers for those tests which will take place in November (bless you that you have two lol I only had TSA), and here's where the 'plate-spinning' comes in, you need to work SMART (not hard yet, this is for later) for your A2 subjects, so be extra alert in lessons (which is the time dedicated purely for your A-level studies, and outside of class you can think more about your tests and interview) and make sure you understand the materials and concepts so intensive revision would come easier later in the year.
Don't think too much about interviews before you actually get an invite from Oxford. But keep your mind active and loaded with subject-specific knowledge and insights, and find opportunities to train yourself in discussing comfortably and confidently on your subject with others, maybe hold a weekly book club or language club at school and get people who are also interested to bring their own materials in for discussion.

After you've got your invite, see if your English/Language teachers can hold mock interviews with you. This will be near the end-of-term and you might be having internal exams, but back at my school my teachers knew I was preparing for my interview so they took note of that and allowed me to prioritise that. But again work smart for your internal exams, and use these as indicators to see how well you can do even without putting your full mind into revision for them. If you did well regardless, it means that you've juggled the balls pretty well and should be fine with the A2 materials so far.

Then after your interview and after you've received the decision (hopefully it's a yes), THAT'S when you go full turbo in your A2 studies. Whatever you didn't quite follow back in the first term, you'll have to deal with those now and work extra hard in putting everything together with the new materials, The 'catch-up' phase (if you need any at all) shouldn't take too long. Then just keep working with past papers to get the exam skills, and just pace yourself steadily so you don't run out before May/June. You should be able to go full on with your A-levels for the second and the third term, this is when you focus on meeting your offers, it's just with Oxbridge applications we always have to work extra because of the intense UCAS period and the leading up to interviews that have distracted us from our studies a bit. It will require quite a lot of stamina. Just work smart in the first term, then work hard in the last two and you should be fine.

I've posted my story here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4269346
It can be done. I've done it so you definitely can/will too. There are just way too many people worrying over whether their grades are good enough to apply or not, I just hope that they see with my example that there's always a chance, and there's always a way. Last year this time I spoke to a girl on here and she had the same doubt and didn't go for it in the end, note that her AS was better than mine - the only difference was that I gave it a try nonetheless whilst she didn't, see, we could've both got in now if she had tried, and that one decision at that one moment would have determined the outcome. I just don't want another person to miss out like that. So I tell you what, please please try, cos you'll never know, and you can ALWAYS work hard towards it. :smile:

Yes I only did 3 AS plus EPQ. When I first started AS I found it quite overwhelming so I dropped a subject after the first term.

You are truly inspirational!
Your 11A*s at GCSE must have really helped your application. However I got 4A*s, 3As and 2Bs... do you think I am at a disadvantage?
Sorry to keep bothering you!
Reply 13
So long as you're taking through ABB then of course you can apply!! I'm taking through ABB too (hoping a remark will take it to AAB) and I'm going to apply because I know I'd regret not applying in the future.

Work hard to ace the ELAT and MLAT and don't do maths too because it's irrelevant and a waste of resits- Oxford make offers based on 3A-Levels so only do 3, it's what my college has recommended for me and we're the Cambridge hub for the North West!!

If you need to talk further, don't hesitate to pm me, since we're in the same boat
You are truly inspirational!
Your 11A*s at GCSE must have really helped your application. However I got 4A*s, 3As and 2Bs... do you think I am at a disadvantage?
Sorry to keep bothering you!

Thank you :smile:

Yes I reckon too that my GCSE must have salvaged it grade-wise. If I remember it right for Oxford, without any extenuating circumstances or contextualisation, successful candidates typically have a minimum of 4A* at GCSE, with the average number being 6A*. You might be a bit on the low side but trust me that plenty of people with GCSE grades like yours (if not even lower) get in!

The entire university application process is just to test whether you have the right qualities as a person and aptitudes to succeed in your chosen course. This is what unis care about. They need to make sure they take in people who won't drop out and are prepared to dedicate 3+ years into very intensive studies for their subjects. You need to show an overall impression of that in your application cos that's the point of it. Wherever you fall short in your application, you make up for it in another area, so make sure you write a killer PS and get a good reference from your teachers as a testimony of your usual high performance at school and your hard-work, also of course absolutely ace ELAT and MLAT. These tests often override GCSEs in importance, cos when you think about it, you study uni-level English and Languages while you're there, whereas your GCSEs are just studies for 15-year-olds loll. So they really really value the specific skills and abilities that you show at these tests, cos THESE are the real-deal.

Your aim now is just to make sure you get an interview anyway. Once you've got an interview, it'd be like Oxford saying they're fine with all other aspects of your application including your grades and won't really look at them again but instead majorly at your interview performance to decide whether they give your an eventual offer or not. Hence for now these tests are so important because they potentially have the power to wipe the slate clean. So now it isn't time to worry over your grades anymore cos it's already in the past, better now work on something that you still have control over which is the tests. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending