The Student Room Group

Survey: Germans want a burqa ban

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
What you deem a symbol of oppression may be perceived as the norm of modesty. It's just a difference of perception. Not all are forced to wear them; my friend's grandmother wore a niqab. Didn't want to take it off even though every woman in the family younger then her didn't wear it, or a hijab. She wanted to, and was extremely uncomfortable without one. It was her choice, no one asked her to wear it, despite people including my friend's grandfather, and her other sons asking her to take it off.

Similarly, a friend of my mum who grew up not wearing a hijab, moved to Canada, became more religious, and over the course of several years, started wearing a niqab, despite her husband's vehement (and continuing) protests. These are anecdotal obviously, and I am highly against anyone forced to wear it like the women in Afghanistan during the Taliban era, but don't assume that every woman who wears it hasn't done so by her own desire to do so.

Flying-carpet fallacy; whataboutism. I don't recall "Islamic states" claiming to be models of freedom and equality.

What does a burqa ban achieve? Alienates more Muslims? Limits freedom of movement of Muslim women? Gives terrorist organisations another reason to target us? Appeases the not-so-tolerant members of our society?

Thanks for proving the point. She has been so brain****ed that she feels terrified when she is not hiding herself from others.

If this happened in anything other than a "religion", there would be outrage.
Reply 61
Original post by alevelstresss
Doesn't warrant the implementation of it. Even if 95% of the population wanted it.

Why not? Only 52% of the British population wanted Brexit and yet it's still happening.
Reply 62
Original post by HAnwar
Most likely more than you since I have many Muslim friends who fully cover out of choice, even when their own mothers do not.

Lol so obeying your husband is seen as a bad thing? Oh dear, no wonder this country has so many failed marriages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must be nice to be a Muslim and have a good little Muslim girl for a wife. Maybe I should convert.
Reply 63
Original post by lawyer3c
This. I think the greatest test of our democracies over the next few decades will be how we handle a majority of people advocating for things that run contrary to our idea of liberalism.

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

People like you are the reason the term "regressive left" exists and why the right and alt-right are become all the more popular.
Reply 64
Original post by Pinkberry_y
German's have a colourful history of racism in their country in the run up to certain world wars, not surprised by this.

And they are the only country to do that? At least they didn't enslave more than half of the known world at one point.
Have wifi at a bar and making the most of it to comment on this thread to say I absolutely support the banning of the niqab :yep:
Original post by inhuman
"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

People like you are the reason the term "regressive left" exists and why the right and alt-right are become all the more popular.

I don't see how allowing Muslim women to wear what they want conflicts with building a tolerant society. It's not as if we are talking about implementing Shariah Law though many on the right like to say we are.
Reply 67
Original post by BasicMistake
I don't see how allowing Muslim women to wear what they want conflicts with building a tolerant society. It's not as if we are talking about implementing Shariah Law though many on the right like to say we are.

Islam is an intolerant society. It is perfectly fine to not tolerate aspects of it, such as its misogyny represented by the burqa.
Original post by Josb
Disgusting. The Germans are so racist it's unreal.

Banning out religious clothing is NOT racist because you choose to believe and practice a religion; you're not born religious.
I live in Germany, despise Islam, but disagree with this ban,

"Mutti" is panacking because the public realise that the 1.5m muslim chaps she invited have no intention of integrating and would rather rape infidel women and claim benefits. The ban is a token jesture that addresses the effects and not the actual problem.
Reply 70
Original post by Achaea
You can have *four* good obedient little Muslim girls for wives, plus as many sex slaves as you like, plus untold zillions of virgin sex robots thoughtfully provided by Allah when you reach Jannah. Go for it! Islam was designed for Muslim men to get as much sex as possible :biggrin:

**** me that sounds awesome! Where do I sign up?
Reply 71
Original post by Zürich

"Mutti" is panacking because the public realise that the 1.5m muslim chaps she invited have no intention of integrating and would rather rape infidel women and claim benefits. The ban is a token jesture that addresses the effects and not the actual problem.

Since when you live there and what you doing? I remember your username from my old account. And judging by your username we should swap places to live :wink:
Lol at people calling this racist. A Muslim is a practitioner of Islam who can be of any race. I can understand why people are upset, but I wouldn't be too against a ban of it in this country.
Reply 73
Original post by Zürich

What else can she do now? Sending back these 1 million healthy young males?
Reply 74
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
http://www.singleparents.org.uk/information/legal/top-5-causes-of-divorce-and-separation-in-the-uk

^^That link is 5 main reasons as to why people divorce in the UK. Not "obeying" your husband doesn't come up on there sadly enough. Note how one of the reasons is "lack of equality" as well.

So stop complaining about how bad it is here. If you want to be a submissive housewife, then run off to a Muslim country.

It's just pitiful you'd choose to blindly follow a man and view women as something like dogs who have to obey their masters.

Lol 'run off to a Muslim country' that's your response for everything. Try being more original next time.

I don't want your pity thanks, save it for yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien

Over 80% of Germans are in favour restricting or even banning this wonderful image diversity

Made me giggle, nice one OP
Reply 76
Original post by HAnwar
Lol 'run off to a Muslim country' that's your response for everything. Try being more original next time.

I don't want your pity thanks, save it for yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh believe me, no one is pitying you.
Since when are the goverment also the fashion police?
image.jpeg
Reply 79
Who on Earth could possibly dislike this?

Ugh, now look at these bland, un-diverse, monocultural, European women in their oppressive traditional clothing. They would all benefit from the highly liberating, enriching and diversifying burqa.

14034988_10201973228007767_3583420795049075501_n.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending