The Student Room Group

College or Sixth Form?

I thought i was sure that i wanted to go to a sixth form but i keep on changing my mind between the college and sixth form (I got accepted into both)
what are the differences between them and which is better???
Thanks..

Scroll to see replies

Both are highly valued by universities, and you can do A levels at both so the choice would be yours. Look at what they have to offer, make a comparison chart with pros and cons of each place, and definitely visit them both to get a feel of what they are like. Have you seen both the places in the flesh by any chance?? Which of the 2 do you think will be better?
Reply 2
My place of education is called 'Hills Road Sixth Form College'...I thought sixth form and college mean the same thing (at least in the UK)? I know that in the US college is university, but in the UK college and sixth form are the same. I think.
Original post by otah007
My place of education is called 'Hills Road Sixth Form College'...I thought sixth form and college mean the same thing (at least in the UK)? I know that in the US college is university, but in the UK college and sixth form are the same. I think.

They tend to be different in that a Sixth Form is run by a 'school' and tends to be part of a school, whereas a college is a separate institution which is usually larger. They are obviously very similar but the main difference is Sixth Forms run mainly A levels, and colleges mainly do courses and BTEC's etc. I think that's right!!?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by s.mo
I thought i was sure that i wanted to go to a sixth form but i keep on changing my mind between the college and sixth form (I got accepted into both)
what are the differences between them and which is better???
Thanks..

Most people prefer a sixth form, due to the fact that the teaching is of higher standards in a sixth form. However since the college you've shown is a sixth form college, i'd think that both places are great for education.
Reply 5
Original post by hattie_creese
Both are highly valued by universities, and you can do A levels at both so the choice would be yours. Look at what they have to offer, make a comparison chart with pros and cons of each place, and definitely visit them both to get a feel of what they are like. Have you seen both the places in the flesh by any chance?? Which of the 2 do you think will be better?

Ive only seen the sixth form which i liked but if i go to the college i would only see it in real life if i choose to go there
Original post by Vyres
Most people prefer a sixth form, due to the fact that the teaching is of higher standards in a sixth form. However since the college you've shown is a sixth form college, i'd think that both places are great for education.

That's not true at all. I did BTEC Music at college and the teaching was better than that of my local sixth form. This is because all of my lecturers had experience in the area that they taught and they treat you like adults so the lessons were far more enjoyable.
IMO sixth forms are very similar to still be being at secondary school whereas at college, you are much more independent (even though the teachers and staff may still be great). At my sixth form, we were told that we are now adults and have to be much more independent, yet whenever we don't turn up to a lesson or if we are late, sixth form send texts/emails to our parents. Sixth forms can also be quite cliquey which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on if you have a good group of friends or not.
I don't have any experience of being at a college but I'd say compare the courses at each of the institutions. Also, if the sixth form is part of your secondary school and you'd like a fresh start, go to the college.
Reply 8
Original post by jessyjellytot14
IMO sixth forms are very similar to still be being at secondary school whereas at college, you are much more independent (even though the teachers and staff may still be great). At my sixth form, we were told that we are now adults and have to be much more independent, yet whenever we don't turn up to a lesson or if we are late, sixth form send texts/emails to our parents. Sixth forms can also be quite cliquey which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on if you have a good group of friends or not.
I don't have any experience of being at a college but I'd say compare the courses at each of the institutions. Also, if the sixth form is part of your secondary school and you'd like a fresh start, go to the college.

the one im going to isnt part of my high school and only one person i know is going there :smile:
but yh they sent me some rules book and they do seem kinda strict but...idk....
I'm also having trouble making this decision. It is making me very confused and angry.
Reply 11
Well this is what i found out ( im also going to sixth form). The more academic people such as people who get C's , B's and A's at GCSES tend to go to sixth form while the people who aren't as good at exams go to college. This is because sixth form is more work based while college is more practical. If you go to college you do things such as wood work while at sixth form you do proper subjects such as geography and history. Also sixth form gives you more choices and allows you to get into university esoer.

So its up to you, do you prefer learning in a classroom gaining a levels or do you want to do wood work or health and beauty. In a way sixth form is a continuation of school.
the only difference is that sixth forms are attached to a school and colleges are not. some colleges do just offer btec courses but if you don't want to do one, don't look at them. some people have said that there is a difference in the intelligence of people in sixth form and college which is totally not true if you don't go to a 100% btec college.
if you go to a sixth form, especially if you have one at your high school, there are more rules. for example, you will be expected to be there all day every day. but at college, you can go home if you don't have any more lessons that day or you have some frees in between. you might also have to wear uniform at a sixth form - i know someone who did.
Reply 13
Original post by lostintrnslation
the only difference is that sixth forms are attached to a school and colleges are not. some colleges do just offer btec courses but if you don't want to do one, don't look at them. some people have said that there is a difference in the intelligence of people in sixth form and college which is totally not true if you don't go to a 100% btec college.
if you go to a sixth form, especially if you have one at your high school, there are more rules. for example, you will be expected to be there all day every day. but at college, you can go home if you don't have any more lessons that day or you have some frees in between. you might also have to wear uniform at a sixth form - i know someone who did.

We dont have uniform but we have a dress code which isnt that bad but we do get frees at sixth form lol and we can go out and do whatever in them but we have to be back for lessons but we cant really skip lessons (as it says in an info booklet they gave me)..so yeah it is stricter but i dont think its that bad in terms of rules
Reply 14
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
That's not true at all. I did BTEC Music at college and the teaching was better than that of my local sixth form. This is because all of my lecturers had experience in the area that they taught and they treat you like adults so the lessons were far more enjoyable.

You may not think it's true, but statistically the overall teaching/learning environment standards are higher in a sixth form than in a college (this is a fact, not an opinion). This obviously doesn't suggest that all colleges are crap, because there are great colleges out there.
Reply 15
Bumpppppp
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

For A-levels it is.

OP go to a sixth form if you're doing A-levels. But if you're doing BTEC, college is the best place. The two different institutions have their own strengths.
Reply 17
Original post by katherine9609
So not true. There's no acedemic difference between college and sixth form students. Colleges are also not only practical based and sixth forms are not only work based.

I went to a college and didn't do "wood work" or anything practical for that matter. My college offered only A levels with the addition of a few btecs in sport. While the sixth form in my city offers tons of btecs.

It's ridiculous for you to make such false statements

I didn't mean to say this in a bad way whatsoever, so sorry if it offended you. But where i live its different i guess. Most of the academic people went to Sixth form, maybe its just this location? Its just from what i have heard. I didn't mean to make it sound bad :smile: I'm really sorry if its annoyed you.
I go to a sixth form college and I personally found it so much better than a regular college.
In my sixth form college the people were a lot more friendlier and mature, they were also academically better so it meant I would more likely to do well there as well. (I'm doing a BTEC if that makes any difference)

Go somewhere you know you will do well in.
Reply 19
Original post by katherine9609
So not true. There's no acedemic difference between college and sixth form students. Colleges are also not only practical based and sixth forms are not only work based.

I went to a college and didn't do "wood work" or anything practical for that matter. My college offered only A levels with the addition of a few btecs in sport. While the sixth form in my city offers tons of btecs.

It's ridiculous for you to make such false statements

Its kinda true.....not the part where smarter people go to Sixth forms because that depends on the sixth form and if its a grammar school, their requirements etc but at sixth forms they are A LOT more stricter than colleges and they dont give you as much independence as colleges which leads people to doing better

Original post by jamestg
For A-levels it is.

OP go to a sixth form if you're doing A-levels. But if you're doing BTEC, college is the best place. The two different institutions have their own strengths.

Im doing A levels :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest