The Student Room Group

Social work postgrad/Frontline/Step up Qs

Hiya,
I'm looking to become a social worker and am hoping to apply to Step Up next year and then to apply for a Masters as backup. I'll also apply to Frontline this year for next summer. I had a few questions though:
- With Frontline and Step Up, do you have to complete the Masters in the second year? The PGDip qualifies you and I'm guessing the Masters is just undertaking a dissertation, so if you don't want the extra qualification, can you just work the second year in the LA and attend any uni days necessary but not complete the Masters? Frontline say you have the opportunity to complete the Masters so I'm guessing this would be fine, just wondering.
- With the MA/MSc, again is there a possibility of just doing PGDip? I can only sem to find these together with Step Up.
- What is the deal with the Social Work bursary? Do your fees get paid? I'm wondering otherwise how anyone affords it? 5000 a year, full time study/placements... any experiences?
Who else is looking to apply next year? I'm looking forward but not looking forward to all the assessment centres and interviews...
Schmee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anybody else applying??
Reply 2
Hi

I applied to be on the frontline social work course 2 years ago and got to the assessment center but didn't get on.

I believe with the step up and frontline courses, you can just stick o the PgDip and the MA is optional. Personally, I do not wish to do another dissertation as I you don't need a MA to become a registered social worker so I would rather not do the extra dissertation work.

There are very few universities that do the PgDip in social work as they just do the full masters. Oxford Brookes and Lancaster do though. Bear in mnd that if you do the PgDip, you dont get any funding at all but if you do the MA you can now get a student loan and possibly a bursary to pay for your time studying. I am doing the PgDip this year but I have savings so will just struggle for the next 2 years!
Original post by schmee2
Hiya,
I'm looking to become a social worker and am hoping to apply to Step Up next year and then to apply for a Masters as backup. I'll also apply to Frontline this year for next summer. I had a few questions though:
- With Frontline and Step Up, do you have to complete the Masters in the second year? The PGDip qualifies you and I'm guessing the Masters is just undertaking a dissertation, so if you don't want the extra qualification, can you just work the second year in the LA and attend any uni days necessary but not complete the Masters? Frontline say you have the opportunity to complete the Masters so I'm guessing this would be fine, just wondering.
- With the MA/MSc, again is there a possibility of just doing PGDip? I can only sem to find these together with Step Up.
- What is the deal with the Social Work bursary? Do your fees get paid? I'm wondering otherwise how anyone affords it? 5000 a year, full time study/placements... any experiences?
Who else is looking to apply next year? I'm looking forward but not looking forward to all the assessment centres and interviews...
Schmee

Hi, Im looking at applying for Step Up. I live in Lancashire so don't believe Frontline will be for me as it seems to be all South (correct me if Im wrong please). The reason for going for Step Up is its the only way I can do it. As I understand it you get a £19,000 bursary (tax free) plus your fees are paid for. As I really cant do without a wage this is the only way I have of becoming a social worker. I am a mature student and have graduated with a first this year by completing a flexible degree with Edge Hill whilst also working full time. Any advice of how other people have managed to juggle paying a mortgage with studying to be a social worker would be gratefully received. Schmee which part of the country are you in?
Reply 4
Original post by Hayleybobs
Hi, Im looking at applying for Step Up. I live in Lancashire so don't believe Frontline will be for me as it seems to be all South (correct me if Im wrong please). The reason for going for Step Up is its the only way I can do it. As I understand it you get a £19,000 bursary (tax free) plus your fees are paid for. As I really cant do without a wage this is the only way I have of becoming a social worker. I am a mature student and have graduated with a first this year by completing a flexible degree with Edge Hill whilst also working full time. Any advice of how other people have managed to juggle paying a mortgage with studying to be a social worker would be gratefully received. Schmee which part of the country are you in?

Hiya
Yes this is why I want to do Frontline or Step Up although I don't have a mortgage but would like to eventually have enough money to get one! I don't know how mature students manage on the MA course. I believe on the MA you can get a bursary to cover your fees and possibly some living costs but I doubt this would cover all your costs.. and it's not guaranteed!
Frontline also cover Greater Manchester which could be useful to you depending on where in Lancashire you are.
I'm in the South, hoping to move to West Midlands or South West for the training if I get a place.
Original post by schmee2
Hiya
Yes this is why I want to do Frontline or Step Up although I don't have a mortgage but would like to eventually have enough money to get one! I don't know how mature students manage on the MA course. I believe on the MA you can get a bursary to cover your fees and possibly some living costs but I doubt this would cover all your costs.. and it's not guaranteed!
Frontline also cover Greater Manchester which could be useful to you depending on where in Lancashire you are.
I'm in the South, hoping to move to West Midlands or South West for the training if I get a place.

Ive now got on to a masters at University of Birmingham to study Inclusion and SEN on a flexible degree which means I can still work, Not really sure if Im doing the right thing as it needs to be started this September and my one true love is social work but what if I don't get on that next year. I feel the constant ticking of the clock as Im 44!!
I have recently qualified as a children's nurse and I am looking into doing Think Ahead, Frontline or Step Up. Really not sure if I am just being fickle about my career choice and I reckon my family, friends and long suffering partner will think I am ridiculous but I am seriously considering it. I am also a mature student (nearly 30). What is the bursary situation with PGDip/MSc social work courses?
Anybody else getting frustrated about the Step up site not being updated? All indications are that they will recruit for January 2018 but need to know!!
Reply 8
Hayleybobs same feeling here.

please, Could somebody explain how the process works? I´ll be abroad.

Do you apply online and then you have an interview (weekds before) or ?

txs!
Anybody else getting frustrated about the Step up site not being updated? All indications are that they will recruit for January 2018 but need to know!!

Yes! So frustrating! Barely any info considering it states that we can apply next month. I'm going to try and email and ask, if I find anything out ill let you know.
Had an email to say Step up is being opened to applications March 2017, training to start January 2018. Ooooooo what to do?! Anybody else not sure?
Original post by Frankie_oxo
Yes! So frustrating! Barely any info considering it states that we can apply next month. I'm going to try and email and ask, if I find anything out ill let you know.

Just had an email - what to do now?!
Thank you for registering your interest for Step Up to Social Work. We are contacting you to let you know that the application process for candidates to apply for Cohort 5 is due to commence in late March 2017, with training beginning in January 2018. We will be in touch nearer to the opening of the application window with details of when and how you can apply. Please do not reply to this email as it has been sent from an unmonitored email account. You will receive details of how to contact the candidate helpdesk when the application window opens. Kind regards
They phoned me today and left a voicemail saying that a lot of local authorities had applied for the scheme and that the department of education is deciding who will be part of it, ensuring they fit as many authorities in as they can and we need to keep checking the website for more info! I personally don't feel like that's very informative! Hopefully they will update the website soon.
Hey :smile:

I'm applying for this course too, hopefully in the West Midlands!!
Anyone looked into this before and know when the assessment centre dates tend to be? I want to book a holiday haha!!
Hi,

Does anyone know do you have to have a 2:1 degree. I only have a 2:2 but have lots of experience? Im not sure whether to just apply for a masters instead
Original post by bethwel497
Hi,

Does anyone know do you have to have a 2:1 degree. I only have a 2:2 but have lots of experience? Im not sure whether to just apply for a masters instead

Hi! I know for step up to social work it states that you need a minimum of a 2.1 or a 2.2 with a masters or pgce.
May be different for frontline and masters
Anybody else logging on daily (hourly today) to see if there are any developments on the government website!?!?
Anybody else logging on daily (hourly today) to see if there are any developments on the government website!?!?

Yes! And there's nothing!!!!!
Reply 18
I'm in the same position .. just want to talk to someone about it but can't find a contact number x
Reply 19
Original post by Frankie_oxo
They phoned me today and left a voicemail saying that a lot of local authorities had applied for the scheme and that the department of education is deciding who will be part of it, ensuring they fit as many authorities in as they can and we need to keep checking the website for more info! I personally don't feel like that's very informative! Hopefully they will update the website soon.

Would love to speak to someone from the step up where can I find the number? X

Quick Reply

Latest