The Student Room Group

A level choice

Is this where I post this? I only got my results very close to going back to school and I thought but was clear what I could do now everyone's confusing me.

In gcse, I got AA Double award science, a* in maths, b in further maths, b in technology, a in ict
I just passed with a c in French, eng lit and Lang, and a* in short course RE

I was going to do Physics, Maths, too hard a levels I enjoy. and our school recommends for some reason taking four and dropping one after AS, so I was choosing Technology and Software Systems Devleopemenr (I think it's computing for ccea)

Now I'm being told by everyone I talk to who did Computing that I would have no chance at being able to do it because it's nothing like Ict and it'll be too hard for me if I got an a in Ict (I was two marks off a*). So I decided to change that to Biology only because I think it'd be too hard but I'm not even sure in biology.

Then my mum says everyone says Ict is the best a level?? But I've heard it's all coursework and it's viewed as a bad a level
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Username323
Is this where I post this? I only got my results very close to going back to school and I thought but was clear what I could do now everyone's confusing me.

In gcse, I got AA Double award science, a* in maths, b in further maths, b in technology, a in ict

I was going to do Physics, Maths, too hard a levels I enjoy. and our school recommends for some reason taking four and dropping one after AS, so I was choosing Technology and Software Systems Devleopemenr (I think it's computing for ccea)

Now I'm being told by everyone I talk to who did Computing that I would have no chance at being able to do it because it's nothing like Ict and it'll be too hard for me if I got an a in Ict (I was two marks off a*). So I decided to change that to Biology only because I think it'd be too hard but I'm not even sure in biology.

Then my mum says everyone says Ict is the best a level?? But I've heard it's all coursework and it's viewed as a bad a level

Firsty, take what parents say with a massive bag of salt. They are usually misinformed or make things up and hope that they are true.

If you're not sure about Biology, don't take it unless there are no other options. It is by no means an easy subject (one of the most difficult ones in my view). Applies to other A-levels as well - don't take them if you're not 100%.

I would say do CompSci if that's what you want to do. Okay, people'll tell you that it's difficult and I wouldn't be suprised if it was, but at the same time, you have to rise to the occasion. If you have the motivation to do that you'll probably stand more chance at doing well than in something like Biology. Okay, you narrowly missed an A* at GCSE but I don't kno how muh that means. I scraped an A* at GCSE Maths (90.0%) and went on to do Maths as well as self study Further Maths in Year 13 in order to study maths at uni - it's all about dedication and knowing what's required of you to get a high grade.

I do not know what unis think about ICT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Username323

If you're interested in technology, and you'd like to know how it works, take computing.... I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest