The Student Room Group

Guardian praises burkini as a "blend of Islamic values and western lifestyle"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/25/burkini-french-muslim-isis

I am opposed to banning the burkini, but this is an amazing piece from a newspaper that will crucify anything believed to even have a hint of misogyny, including Thomas the Tank Engine.

I get that the left wants to rally against this ban for various reasons, ranging from pro-freedom to feeling it will fuel anti-Muslim prejudice - which is all fine, but this borders on endorsement.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't mind the Burqa/Hijab as long as they involved the use of wooden blocks as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY
Can someone who supports a ban of the burkini please give me an explanation for why they do? The only justification I've heard is that it 'oppresses' women - but surely telling a woman what she can or can't wear is just as oppressive?
Original post by folieadeux
Can someone who supports a ban of the burkini please give me an explanation for why they do? The only justification I've heard is that it 'oppresses' women - but surely telling a woman what she can or can't wear is just as oppressive?

It's desert attire, protection from sandstorms. No sandstorms in Britain so it's an unacceptable level of stupidity to wear it. Pious Christian girls wear baggy and ugly clothes intentionally to ward off men, and no makeup either. Muslim women could learn from that. Ugly/baggy clothes are much higher in the scale of piety than Hijabs. This Burkini nonsense is just an extension of my dislike of the Hijab/Burqa. It's nonsense newspaper-selling garbage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ha! There is no blend of culture involved with the burkini. It is purely Islamic.
Original post by Grand High Witch
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/25/burkini-french-muslim-isis

I am opposed to banning the burkini, but this is an amazing piece from a newspaper that will crucify anything believed to even have a hint of misogyny, including Thomas the Tank Engine.

I get that the left wants to rally against this ban for various reasons, ranging from pro-freedom to feeling it will fuel anti-Muslim prejudice - which is all fine, but this borders on endorsement and apologism, which again is amazing coming from this particular newspaper.

Both of those are opinion pieces, so it's not the official view of the Guardian.
That said, I agree that the article is hogwash.
Original post by 1010marina
Ha! There is no blend of culture involved with the burkini. It is purely Islamic.
In reality, Salafis are aghast at the burkini. It doesn't hide the body's shape, and women should not be allowed on our public beaches in the first place (with so many half-naked males wandering around)

so, they entirely support a burkini ban
I don't support a ban on it though actually it's a little too close to fascism.
Original post by Hydeman
Both of those are opinion pieces, so it's not the official view of the Guardian.
That said, I agree that the article is hogwash.

The Guardian approves and commissions them - there's a reason that 99% of opinion pieces there reflect the paper's ideology.

I get that the left wants to rally against this ban for various reasons, ranging from pro-freedom to feeling it will fuel anti-Muslim prejudice - which is all fine, but this borders on endorsement and apologism, which again is amazing coming from this particular newspaper.

There are so many other misogynistic things in our society, complaining about something which is basically a wetsuit is stupid.
I think the ban on the burkini is a too extreme of a way of trying to liberate women from feeling the need to cover up themselves simply because a man can't handle it; people can wear whatever they want. The attempt to ban the burkini or hijab is stupid and screams dark ages. However, I still agree with the fact that they shouldn't have to conform to the laws that they have to cover up because a man told them to, but if they feel as they have to wear conservative clothing because it makes them feel better and more confident I say go for it :smile: Even though that's probably what they'll say, but truly they'll still be wearing it due to the Islamic Laws enforced mainly by family which is awful.
Even though I believe it's too extreme, there's also no other way of helping them.
Blend of Islamic values = Us lowering our standards

You wants animal tortured meat, sure lets make an allowance

Leftist / Muslim - Look at this example of Islam being compatible with western values

U wants to be allowed to poop in kuffars mouths.. sure lets make that allowed

WEEEEEEE look how integrated we are :h::h::h:
(edited 7 years ago)
the guardian is a bunch of dogshite

i have to go and vomit in the corner every time i read a guardian article
Anyway yeah there is a reason the Guardian is constantly begging for people to donate money. "Pls donate £49 for the year" - Would rather move to Saudi Arabia
Its clear that this is a great blend of societies.

A Ugly, oppressive piece of clothing from a backwards culture mixed with Women being allowed to go out without a man and Fun .
Original post by alevelstresss
There are so many other misogynistic things in our society, complaining about something which is basically a wetsuit is stupid.

Yes so much more important like the way Islam treats women
Original post by mariachi
In reality, Salafis are aghast at the burkini. It doesn't hide the body's shape, and women should not be allowed on our public beaches in the first place (with so many half-naked males wandering around)

so, they entirely support a burkini ban

It is still Islamic. Want to cover up, there are other options (wetsuit, rash vest, etc). The burkini is Islamic in nature; because anything else WOULD be a blend of West and Islam and that just isn't good enough.
The Guardian approves and commissions them - there's a reason that 99% of opinion pieces there reflect the paper's ideology.

Be that as it may, it still doesn't make it the Guardian's view. Nigel Farage writes (or used to write; I haven't checked recently) a regular column for The Independent, even though that paper's political stance is in no way reflective of Farage's.

Similarly, there was a thread made earlier today about the following (very old) Guardian article: The last days of a white world. Clearly, not everything a paper runs is necessarily its own official opinion, even if, as you say, a large majority of opinion pieces are approximately aligned with the paper's own stance on a given matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Be that as it may, it still doesn't make it the Guardian's view. Nigel Farage writes (or used to write; I haven't checked recently) a regular column for The Independent, even though that paper's political stance is in no way reflective of Farage's.

Similarly, there was a thread made earlier today about the following (very old) Guardian article: The last days of a white world. Clearly, not everything a paper runs is necessarily its own official opinion, even if, as you say, a large majority of opinion pieces are approximately aligned with the paper's own stance on a given matter.

Against the backdrop of a flurry of Guardian pieces speaking out against the ban, I think it's safe to say that this piece does not fall into the 1% of pieces which do not reflect the ideology of the paper.
Against the backdrop of a flurry of Guardian pieces speaking out against the ban, I think it's safe to say that this piece does not fall into the 1% of pieces which do not reflect the ideology of the paper.

I haven't disputed that (though I doubt it's as lopsided as 99:1). I disputed that it's correct to attribute it to the Guardian rather than the writer when it is clearly an opinion piece - especially given that the writer is not a regular contributor to the Guardian (including this one, she's written two pieces for the Guardian, the last one being another opinion piece written in 2013)...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending