The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gap yaaah
I emailed medical admissions team but so far theyve replied twice with the same generic email.
"When we first receive your application, we will check that you meet our minimum requirements. These include B grades in GCSE English Language and Mathematics, and AA or AAB in GCSE Double- or Triple-Science. If you meet our minimum requirements, we will then calculate an academic score for you, based on your top 9 full course GCSEs, which must include English Language, Maths and the Sciences. There are some exceptions please refer to Appendix A (a) of the Admissions Policy for full details.
We will score your GCSEs as follows: A* = 3, A = 2, B = 1. Therefore, the top score it is possible to get is 27 (i.e. 9 x A*).Every year we will calculate a ‘cut-off’ score, based on the overall standard of applications in that admissions cycle. It is, of course, impossible to predict what this cut-off will be, however as a general guide we suggest that it does tend to be around 25-26. Applicants who have scored on or above the cut-off will progress to the next stage of the application process where we will look at your personal statement and referees report. If we are happy with this, we may invite you to interview. Offers are made based on your performance at interview.​Due to the qualification reform, we will no longer be considering AS levels.The typical A level offer for the A100 will be AAA including Biology and Chemistry."

They seem reluctant to say by how many points my score will increase taking into account my a level results.

Do you know any one or have met anyone whos academic score increased and by how much?

Do you think its worth applying with a gcse score of 23 and A Levels of A*-Biology, A*-Chemistry , A-Maths?

Your score would be 26 due to the fact you have achieved results. That is definitely a strong score, and provided your personal statement is decent you should get an interview.
Reply 41
Original post by Gap yaaah
Thanks a lot guys thats really encouraging to hear! 😀
Cardiff now replied saying "they're reviewing the achieved A2 scoring system"

Ok, please let us know what they say as your reply could also help other applicants x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
After some very sound advice today(thank you Natalierm) I have revisited my university choices for October UCAS submission and have decided to apply to Cardiff. Unfortunately due to changing my options I will not have opportunity to attend an open day. Will this count against me as I have heard universities favour students who have attended open days?
Original post by Richy t
After some very sound advice today(thank you Natalierm) I have revisited my university choices for October UCAS submission and have decided to apply to Cardiff. Unfortunately due to changing my options I will not have opportunity to attend an open day. Will this count against me as I have heard universities favour students who have attended open days?

It makes absolutely no difference to your application whether you attended the open day or not. The open day is for your benefit to see if medicine/cardiff is right for you.
The other advantage of attending the open day is that if they ask why do you want to study medicine at Cardiff ?, you could mention that you went to the open day and what you liked.
Tbh most people don't attend the open day and it really makes no difference and they give no preference nor will they care whether or not you attended, so don't worry :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by futuremedic19
It makes absolutely no difference to your application whether you attended the open day or not. The open day is for your benefit to see if medicine/cardiff is right for you.
The other advantage of attending the open day is that if they ask why do you want to study medicine at Cardiff ?, you could mention that you went to the open day and what you liked.
Tbh most people don't attend the open day and it really makes no difference and they give no preference nor will they care whether or not you attended, so don't worry :smile:

Thank you that's reassuring!!
Hi,
Just wondering the likelihood of me getting a place.
I have a score of 23/27 and got 683 on average on the UKCAT. My secondary was an extremely under average school, and my area is seemed as deprived - don't know if this has any relevance. Really wanted Cardiff to be one of my options.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by KevinClyde
Hi,
Just wondering the likelihood of me getting a place.
I have a score of 23/27 and got 683 on average on the UKCAT. My secondary was an extremely under average school, and my area is seemed as deprived - don't know if this has any relevance. Really wanted Cardiff to be one of my options.

Thanks in advance.

Hi your GCSEs (I presume 5/6 A*s rest A's) and ukcat are great but Cardiff base a lot of their selection on GCSEs so those who make to interview tend to have a GCSE points score of 25+.

However I know that Cardiff DO consider your background and if you are from a deprived area (it's based on postcode) then they can give you contextual point(s) and maybe look at your application slightly differently than someone who is from an affluent background. It's not a significant difference though.

I definitely know they do it for people who are from a less affluent area in Wales but if your from England then I'm not 100% sure.

Also please email the med admissions and see if you would qualify for any contextual flags/points.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Just wondering, how much emphasis do Cardiff place on the personal statement?
Reply 48
Original post by BranJ0
Just wondering, how much emphasis do Cardiff place on the personal statement?

Cardiff use the personal statement to check that it is of a good standard pre-interview. your academic score based on GCSEs and achieved A2 grades (plus factoring in contextual data if relevant) is the indicator of whether you are invited to interview or not, but the personal statement still must be of a good standard.

The personal statement will also be scrutinised at interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Ah ok, that makes sense, I've got a high GCSE score, so that should help me along hopefully! Thank you
Original post by Natalierm2707
images.png

As it is fast approaching the next admissions cycle I thought now is the right time to begin a new thread for all potential applicants to Cardiff University Medical School (A100, A104 and A101) for 2017 entry. Hopefully this will allow everyone a chance to discuss applications and ask questions to the small number of current Cardiff medical students which can be found lurking on these forums from time to time (myself an @futuremedic19 are both second years as of september).
Below is some very useful information regarding all things Cardiff medicine as well as some more general information about the university, all of which can be found on the various relevant pages of Cardiff's website and Cardiff's School of Medicine website.

Admissions policy and entrance requirements.
The admissions policy for 2017-2018 entry to medicine at Cardiff can be found here. An FAQ section can also be found here.
All the information regarding entry requirements can be found within the admissions policy, but for simplicity (and the lazy among us) I have condensed the useful information below (open the spoiler and all will be revealed)...

Academic entrance requirements:

Spoiler

UKCAT:

Spoiler

Non-academic:

Spoiler

The selection process: Pre-interview.
The schools admissions process once they have received your UCAS application can be found in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

The selection process: Interview.
No offers are made without an interview, and interviews are offered to applicants who have the highest academic rankings for the year of entry.
For 2017 applicants will attend an MMI style interview consisting of 10 stations (each lasting 6 minutes), these will take place over a 3 week period:
30 November 2016 - 14 December 2016 AND 18 January 2017 - 25 January 2017
Interview invites will be sent via email which will link applicants to an online booking system. In fairness to all candidates no offers will be given out until all the interviews have been conducted.

As a guide Cardiff in 2015 received approximately 3,500 applications for 309 places, roughly 1,500 of these applicants were invited to interview.

The course: C21
Cardiff will be entering its 5th year of the new C21 course when you will be starting in september 2017. Information about the course structure can be found here, and a video about the course can be found here.
As a general run down Cardiff university use an integrated CBL style medicine course which features:

Spoiler

For anyone looking to see what the CBL course is like from a students perspective, I have a blog post on this over on my blog.

I hope this information is useful and can get you started if your thinking of applying to medicine at Cardiff University.
Sorry to be a bug bear but as a rule of thumb from here on out, no discussion of interview questions or general topics is permitted on this thread, it is not fair to fellow applicants and will not be tolerated.

Contact information for Cardiff medical school can be found here.

Hey there !
I am looking to apply for Medicine in the UK this year.
i am an international student and cardiff is one of my top choices..
i would really like some insight , so that it may help me choose
Much Thanks :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Ridhasaraff
Hey there !
I am looking to apply for Medicine in the UK this year.
i am an international student and cardiff is one of my top choices..
i would really like some insight , so that it may help me choose
Much Thanks :smile:

Hello there, nice to know your interest in cardiff.

What insights would you like to know, fire away with some questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Hello there, nice to know your interest in cardiff.

What insights would you like to know, fire away with some questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Hi.. thanks for the reply :smile:

I am an international student with the following qualifictions:
GCSE equivalent A* i.e 95.66% in 12th grade( Physics, Mathematics ,Chemistry Biology with 95% average in all of them)
94% in English

i am curently a student in Bachelor of Science(Bsc) in Anaesthesia Technology..
What are my chances to get into Cardiff with the above qualifications?
And is the student life good (for an international student)?

if you dont mind , can you also suggest me some other universities i can look up to ..i am in a fix!

Oh and yes.. i will be appearing for UKCAT this october as well.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Ridhasaraff
Hi.. thanks for the reply :smile:

I am an international student with the following qualifictions:
GCSE equivalent A* i.e 95.66% in 12th grade( Physics, Mathematics ,Chemistry Biology with 95% average in all of them)
94% in English

i am curently a student in Bachelor of Science(Bsc) in Anaesthesia Technology..
What are my chances to get into Cardiff with the above qualifications?
And is the student life good (for an international student)?

if you dont mind , can you also suggest me some other universities i can look up to ..i am in a fix!

Oh and yes.. i will be appearing for UKCAT this october as well.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Because your qualifications are international and you are already doing a Bsc it would be best to call up medical schools about your situation, I cannot advise anything because I am unsure of the policies on these qualifications.

As for student life in cardiff it is brilliant, we have many international students on the medicine course from europe, china, malaysia and the middle east. You will find that there are many things to do also such as great nights out and fabulous societies to join.
Because your qualifications are international and you are already doing a Bsc it would be best to call up medical schools about your situation, I cannot advise anything because I am unsure of the policies on these qualifications.

As for student life in cardiff it is brilliant, we have many international students on the medicine course from europe, china, malaysia and the middle east. You will find that there are many things to do also such as great nights out and fabulous societies to join.

Hi there again ...
Yes i have mailed them to tell them about my situation.
thank you so much..
i really hope i do get in :smile:
Reply 55
Hey,
I got 2A* 3A 5B in GCSE and this was due to extenuating circumstances.. Do you know how cardiff med school looks upon this??
Reply 56
Original post by angel_18
Hey,
I got 2A* 3A 5B in GCSE and this was due to extenuating circumstances.. Do you know how cardiff med school looks upon this??

You would have to contact them as they deal with extenuating circumstances on a case by case basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Just a quick question, love all the information you have posted very helpful. What is Cardiff's Medicine entry requirements for English IGCSE (first language). I took both literature and language but am finding the information about having to do a listening/speaking exam somewhat confusing. Would a candidate with English IGCSE also be required to have listening/language exam. This can be arranged but my school asked me to find out I have included is what is mentioned on the entry requirement section for Medicine is on the Cardiff website. Many thanks.
"Cambridge IGCSE English - First Language (UK) (0522); Acceptable - at a minimum grade B.[*]Cambridge IGCSE English - First Language (UK) (0500); Acceptable only if all four components have been undertaken and this must be made clear on the UCAS form at the time of application.
[*]Cambridge IGCSE English - Second Language (count-in oral) (0511); Acceptable - at a minimum grade B as a GCSE equivalent but must be accompanied by IELTS to satisfy minimum reqs in English Language. Refer to Appendix B for IELTS requirements.
*For Schools which have already entered students for the exams in May 2015 where it is too late to take the speaking and listening test and who would have started the IGCSE course in September 2013 which would have been before our IGSCE policy was brought in, we will accept their qualification as it stands.
Anyone who committed to an English IGCSE after October 2014 when our IGCSE policy came in to place will have to complete the speaking and listening module." [also what is the listening/speaking module referring to?]
Reply 58
Would a UKCAT score of 687 disadvantage me at all?
Hi! I am an international student who is applying to Cardiff University to read medicine this year! :biggrin:
I did SPM (a Malaysia qualification which is equivalent to GCSE) and got 10A*. So can I use my SPM results as a substitute for GCSE in the calculation of my academic score?
Thank you in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending