The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

Basically I recieved my A2 results and achieved two A* in economics and history and an A in maths. I have been accepted into Bristol university for economics but I'm also considering taking a gap yr and reapplying to lse and wawrick for economics. The careers I'm interested in are investment banking/Asset management/actuarial. So in short, is it worth me reapply to those unis to give me a better chance of getting into one of those careers, or should I just stick with Bristol? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mk_98
Basically I recieved my A2 results and achieved two A* in economics and history and an A in maths. I have been accepted into Bristol university for economics but I'm also considering taking a gap yr and reapplying to lse and wawrick for economics. The careers I'm interested in are investment banking/Asset management/actuarial. So in short, is it worth me reapply to those unis to give me a better chance of getting into one of those careers, or should I just stick with Bristol? Thanks.

No point, Bristol is great and there will be people with your grades there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I would go for it, take a gap year, build your reading list and personal statement, get some work experience and take a break from all that hard studying!! A*A*A is great! Do make sure you have a backup still tho because you could be let down in interviews or by your personal statement otherwise aim for the big ones
If you think it'll be best for you then you might as well, do some work experience in the industry his year
Bristol is a great university.
You will have no greater chance in those careers going anywhere else.

Take a gap year if you want, but not for the reasons you state.
You're doing fine already :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
No point, Bristol is great and there will be people with your grades there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks for the reply. Also would you say bristol is good at getting graduates into IB positions?
Original post by mk_98
Alright thanks for the reply. Also would you say bristol is good at getting graduates into IB positions?

As I said, it's great - very strong semi-target. People I know from there are going to GS, MS, CS.. In front office roles. Decent amount of first years get SWs..

It's a good uni and there is literally 0 point in taking a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
If you do reapply, I think you'd be competitive for oxford or Cambridge.
Original post by MHI
If you do reapply, I think you'd be competitive for oxford or Cambridge.

Not without an a* in maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mk_98

May as well take a chance if it means you could get into an extremely good uni
bristol is good, had quite a few interns this year interning in ibd from bristol. one of the most impressive girls (who got like 9 sw offers) was from bristol and now she's at gs doing ibd
Original post by dancing sloth
Bristol is a great university.
You will have no greater chance in those careers going anywhere else.

Take a gap year if you want, but not for the reasons you state.
You're doing fine already :smile:

What? Obviously he'd have a better chance at Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick
I'd go for it, but maybe not apply for straight Econ since you didn't get A* in Maths, nor do you have Further Maths.

Retake Maths in your gap year and do AS Further Maths (or AS and A2). Apply to Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, and 1 other.
Reply 13
Original post by anonwinner
I'd go for it, but maybe not apply for straight Econ since you didn't get A* in Maths, nor do you have Further Maths.

Retake Maths in your gap year and do AS Further Maths (or AS and A2). Apply to Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, and 1 other.

Why do you give advice when you clearly aren't able to?

You do realise you're telling him to resit even though he got A*A*A right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Why do you give advice when you clearly aren't able to?

You do realise you're telling him to resit even though he got A*A*A right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?

I'm telling him to resit Maths, since Economics at Cambridge/LSE/Warwick require an A* not an A.

Please reread OP's post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
What?

I'm telling him to resit Maths, since Economics at Cambridge/LSE/Warwick require an A* not an A.

Please reread OP's post.

You clearly didn't get my point.

By the way, if I remember correctly you're going to LSE right? Answering honestly, do you think that LSE in itself will automatically place you above all others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By the way, if I remember correctly you're going to LSE right? Answering honestly, do you think that LSE in itself will automatically place you above all others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He probably does think that tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxbridge > LSE, so no.

Do you have some kind of vendetta against me or something?

I'm giving OP good advice, A*A*A grades shouldn't be wasted on Bristol, he could get into a target easily.

Just because you didn't get into a target doesn't mean you should try to take others down with you.
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman
He probably does think that tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reality will soon catch up with him, I am certain...
Reply 19
Oxbridge > LSE, so no.

Do you have some kind of vendetta against me or something?

I'm giving OP good advice, A*A*A grades shouldn't be wasted on Bristol, he could get into a target easily.

Just because you didn't get into a target doesn't mean you should try to take others down with you.

I have a vendetta against idiocy, sorry that it includes you too :smile:

'Wasted' lol. You make it sound as if he's gonna fail in life.

Considering I wanna go into law, the term 'target' is meaningless to me. Nonetheless, we'll see how that term will work out for you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest