The Student Room Group

Is £100ish pounds enough to live off per week as a student?

No I am not in London. I've calculated that I will have just over £100 to live off per week based on government/university contributions only and this is per every university week (excluding holidays).

This ignores how I have about £2k-ish in my current account and around £12k-ish in my savings account.

Will I be OK to have fun, go out and have everything I need to achieve well academically?

N.B. in catered halls.

Scroll to see replies

You'll be fine. But have you included things like travelling home however often and textbooks?
Lmao.
That is more than enough
Considering someone was worried about having £30 a week and didnt have £14,000 in accessible savings, then I think it might be a stretch, but you should just manage.
I'm assuming that's not including your rent? Yes £100 per week is loads. Half of that would be more than enough, assuming that you're living close enough to uni to not have to pay for transport.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You'll be fine. But have you included things like travelling home however often and textbooks?

Haven't included textbooks but I don't think I would be visiting home tbh.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm assuming that's not including your rent? Yes £100 per week is loads. Half of that would be more than enough, assuming that you're living close enough to uni to not have to pay for transport.

The rent has already been taken into account. There are no transportation costs unless I actively want to use public transport, but it isn't a necessity for my position.
Original post by loveleest
Lmao.
That is more than enough

I hope so!
You have £14,000 in savings and are worried that you won't have enough money to survive at uni? Some students have to get by on £15 a week, your £100 per week and £14k savings will see you through just fine!
Original post by GoingToBurst
You have £14,000 in savings and are worried that you won't have enough money to survive at uni? Some students have to get by on £15 a week, your £100 per week and £14k savings will see you through just fine!

I mentioned the savings because I wanted to know if it were likely I would need to dip into them. (Although I'd rather not as if I want to do a masters, I would like that security).

Holy ****, £15 a week? I fully expect to be buying clothes, buying drinks and literally living the free and independent life. How do people have a good time on that?
You don't need money for textbooks. Just borrow them from the library
Original post by newsunflower
No I am not in London. I've calculated that I will have just over £100 to live off per week based on government/university contributions only and this is per every university week (excluding holidays).

This ignores how I have about £2k-ish in my current account and around £12k-ish in my savings account.

Will I be OK to have fun, go out and have everything I need to achieve well academically?

N.B. in catered halls.

it should be plenty it a personal thing in what do you feel you need
I mean when I go to California for my course I have budgeted close to a £900 a week after accommodation, course costs and car costs
Original post by jamesthehustler
it should be plenty it a personal thing in what do you feel you need
I mean when I go to California for my course I have budgeted close to a £900 a week after accommodation, course costs and car costs

£900 a week? How the **** did you get so much money? I would love that.
?? OH MY GOD. £100. im currently trying to plan out not dying on my budget of £17 a week. youre a lucky duck
Reply 14
In my personal, honest opinion, I would hand on heart say yes. :yes:
You have £14k in savings, why are you even asking this question? Particularly as it isn't in London, of course it's enough.
More than enough
Original post by JRKinder
You have £14k in savings, why are you even asking this question? Particularly as it isn't in London, of course it's enough.

I don't want to use all my savings lol.
Original post by beeconcerned
?? OH MY GOD. £100. im currently trying to plan out not dying on my budget of £17 a week. youre a lucky duck

Christ? £17, what if you wanted to a buy a dress that was on sale? Couldn't deal with that at all.
Original post by newsunflower
Christ? £17, what if you wanted to a buy a dress that was on sale? Couldn't deal with that at all.

i dont think i'll be buying clothes ever again tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending