The Student Room Group

The topics you enjoy(ed) the most in the core modules of A Level Maths/ Further Maths

So in C1 I particularly enjoyed doing Surds and Inequalities. For C2 it was Transformation of graphs, Trigonometric functions and Exponentials and logarithms. Haven't officially studied C3, C4 at Sixth form but due to independant study I find Calculus and Trigonometry awesome in both C3 and C4. For FP1 it has to be General solutions.

What topics do you enjoy the most in the core modules?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
So in C1 I particularly enjoyed doing Surds and Inequalities. For C2 it was Transformation of graphs, Trigonometric functions and Exponentials and logarithms. Haven't officially studied C3, C4 at Sixth form but due to independant study I find Calculus and Trigonometry awesome in both C3 and C4. For FP1 it has to be General solutions.

Vectors in FP4 would be my favourite. Seeing how they work with lines and planes in 3D was something quite neat indeed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Vectors in FP4 would be my favourite. Seeing how they work with lines and planes in 3D was something quite need indeed.
Awesome! Do you think it is the hardest core module between the A Levels?
Surds bevause it was the only thing that had no ******** questions
Awesome! Do you think it is the hardest core module between the A Levels?

I'd say so yeah. Usually because people tend to struggle with vectors in C4 so taking it up to FP4 and working geometrically there can be a nightmare for them. Not to mention 3D matrices go in there too. My teacher said it's the most difficult of them and I'm glad I got an A in it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Indices in C1 :colondollar: because bants.
Original post by SeanFM
Indices in C1 :colondollar: because bants.

Oh come on, live a little! :h:
Reply 7
Groups in FP3 by far.
I've always enjoyed FP2 Differential Equations for some reason.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Surds bevause it was the only thing that had no ******** questions

Still upset I see

Adding algebraic letters like x+x = 2x in C1. That was the best bit
I liked the occasional reduction formula question I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just finished C3 and loved both the Trigonometry and Differentiation. Just started on C4 and Parametric Differentiation is pretty nice.
C4 integration
S2 integration

anything involving calculus, but mainly integrals
C1 differentiation, because it was the first thing I learnt that was different to GCSE, though it'd be nice if it was taught from first principles.

C2 differentiation and integration, because I like calculus and it seemed like magic at first.

C3 differentiation and C4 integration, although I would prefer integration as the limit of a sum to be taught.

All of FP1

FP2 differential equations

All of FP3; probably my favourite module, except for vectors. I hate vectors.

So, yeah, I like a lot of it.
All of the maths A Level. :colondollar:
C1 - My candidate number

C2 - Binomial expansion and integration was fun.

C3 - I've only done the functions topic so far but I've actually enjoyed it ngl.
It's between optimization problems in C2 and parametric equations, volumes of revolution, connected rates of change and differential equations in C4.

I learnt half of vectors and found it so tedious that I still haven't learnt the second half (dot product, angle between vectors) after half a year.
C1: actually quite enjoyed learning series stuff, the story about Gauss just made me smile and it's the only real memory I have of core 1. C2: Logarithms always had quite fun equations to solve. C3: Loved the feeling of getting to the end of a trig identity, especially a really weird one. C4: Differential equations are fun fun fun. FP1: Induction is really good fun. FP2: More differential equations yaaay fun fun fun. FP3: Finally clocking reduction formulae is the best feeling in all of Maths and Further Maths A Level; but even still screw reduction formulae.
Reply 19
Matrices
Proof by induction
1st and 2nd order differential equations
Polar coordinates
Groups

Quick Reply

Latest