The Student Room Group

Dealing with constant low mood

Hi all,

I am a 22 year old male and I have been dealing with constant low mood for as long as I can remember. Rather than being depressed per say, I am generally very irritable and lose my temper quickly, unsociable, and pessimistic. Recently, I began taking 5HTP and St John's Wort every morning with my normal multivitamin and I've found that my mood has lifted. My outlook on life has improved, I'm getting less irate, and I'm interacting with others more. This has led me to believe that my body may be producing too little serotonin. I was hoping that somebody could help me with the following queries:

- Can I request a blood test for serotonin levels at my local GP?
- Is it safe to continue to take 5HTP and SJW regularly? I've read that long-term 5HTP use can lead to complications.

Thank you.

P.S. I recognise that there are other members on this forum with far more pressing conditions than mine so please assist them first if you are able!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

I am a 22 year old male and I have been dealing with constant low mood for as long as I can remember. Rather than being depressed per say, I am generally very irritable and lose my temper quickly, unsociable, and pessimistic. Recently, I began taking 5HTP and St John's Wort every morning with my normal multivitamin and I've found that my mood has lifted. My outlook on life has improved, I'm getting less irate, and I'm interacting with others more. This has led me to believe that my body may be producing too little serotonin. I was hoping that somebody could help me with the following queries:

- Is it safe to continue to take 5HTP and SJW regularly? I've read that long-term 5HTP use can lead to complications.

Thank you.

P.S. I recognise that there are other members on this forum with far more pressing conditions than mine so please assist them first if you are able!

Hi there! I have no clue about 5HTP, although I've known people taking SJW to have a really bad time when they eventually come off it, and have described it as a bit of a band-aid solution. You could certainly request a blood test, but they may not be willing to oblige. This kind of test is usually ran for very different conditions. It's definitely worth seeing a doctor though. They'll also be able to advise on your use of 5HTP and SJW. Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

Thank you.

Patrick Holford writes good books about how diet and nutrition and supplements can help. look him up on amazon.
also, Sue Atkinson wrote a good book called Climbing out of depression

I would look at supplementing vitamin D and high dose multi B vits
also magnesium for anxiety, and omega 3 fish oils to help too.

Quick Reply

Latest