The Student Room Group

investment banking summer internship q&a

Scroll to see replies

Original post by makrxx
having shadowed on 2 desks on the trading floor, i felt the nature of the job was essentially being the middleman for parties who come to you asking for prices etc. personally i think i'll enjoy being able to research companies, understanding them. (though the people i know that can help me are in s&t, so that's a stumbling decision block for me...)

as for excel and ppt knowledge, would it be very in-depth? i assume vlookup is the most basic thing you'll have to know in comparison?

you would be required to be efficient with the usage of these programmes in completing tasks quickly/efficiently and without error
Reply 61
Been following your progress for a few years now and I'm pleased that you have reached your goal. Well done and I wish you luck for the future 😀
Hey,

Just wondering... Are beards allowed in IB? Did you shave yours? Serious question. I always keep mine tidy and trimmed but shave for an interview but I would prefer to keep it lol.

Original post by Codetto
Been following your progress for a few years now and I'm pleased that you have reached your goal. Well done and I wish you luck for the future 😀

appreciate the kind words man, thank you

Original post by alexjones1994
Hey,

Just wondering... Are beards allowed in IB? Did you shave yours? Serious question. I always keep mine tidy and trimmed but shave for an interview but I would prefer to keep it lol.

i have always had a beard and have never fully shaved it.. i just trimmed it every so often and kept it neat.
Original post by gr8wizard10
appreciate the kind words man, thank you

i have always had a beard and have never fully shaved it.. i just trimmed it every so often and kept it neat.

What about for your first interviews for summer internship? Cheers Abdul.
What about for your first interviews for summer internship? Cheers Abdul.

i won't shave for anything or anyone, i like my beard very much.. it is cool :smile:
What was the racial diversity like, I'm guessing pretty white based?
Original post by timster32
What was the racial diversity like, I'm guessing pretty white based?

given our clients are global, unsuprisingly we need a good mix of representation/languages.. so it's more diverse than what most people would think

alot of europeans inc. turkish/CEE/Russian.. good mix of african/asian too
Original post by gr8wizard10
i won't shave for anything or anyone, i like my beard very much.. it is cool :smile:

I know. Beards looks cool, no doubt. Thanks! Next time i'm not shaving lol. Me you and Mr Woy. #beardgang
I know. Beards looks cool, no doubt. Thanks! Next time i'm not shaving lol. Me you and Mr Woy. #beardgang

LOL :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it true girls are hotter in s&t vs IBD
Not surprised with the offer, always been impressed

What were your main tasks/duties?

What was your average daily routine? if there was an average day

What was the training like, did your course prove to be as useful as expected?

Was there much exposure to senior people?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CAulet567
is it true girls are hotter in s&t vs IBD

idk, i don't look at girls in the bank in that way

Original post by Breakingbank
Not surprised with the offer, always been impressed

What were your main tasks/duties?

What was your average daily routine? if there was an average day

What was the training like, did your course prove to be as useful as expected?

Was there much exposure to senior people?

sort your life out, so we can book a ticket to spain :lol:

pitchbooks / client requests / assist on models (& bottles)

there wasn't an average day.. get up at 7.. go to work whilst reading whats happened in markets, send some email updates to my team on anything interest / deals that may be worth noting / company developments etc..

training was basic at the summer intern stage, my uni course sure helped a lot with the technical side of things

a lot of exposure to senior people.. including heads of divisions etc..
Reply 73
In what scenarios are you able to come up with your own ideas, and potentially add value to the client? e.g. do you ever get to come up with ideas for the strategy of a particular company, and do you think a career in M&A gives you much scope to make an impact and shape individual companies? (long term as a trusted advisor, yes, but what about short term as an analyst?)

In terms of SA prep, have you got any other advice that isn't mastering excel and power point, and just being generally, a good person to work with?

Did you do any presentations or pitching?

What was the interaction of clients through, telephone, emails, face to face?

If not face to face, at what level do you start going to meetings with clients at your specific BB?

Did you have team meetings every single day? How many meetings per day/week?

Over the 10 weeks, how much has your knowledge developed on specific industries and companies you worked with (e.g. their strategy, products, etc..) , and how broad was your exposure? (e.g. was it 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10+ companies ?)

congrats, really well done! Thanks for your help and good luck with your future career!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sky-blue
In what scenarios are you able to come up with your own ideas, and potentially add value to the client? e.g. do you ever get to come up with ideas for the strategy of a particular company, and do you think a career in M&A gives you much scope to make an impact and shape individual companies? (long term as a trusted advisor, yes, but what about short term as an analyst?)

In terms of SA prep, have you got any other advice that isn't mastering excel and power point, and just being generally, a good person to work with?

Did you do any presentations or pitching?

What was the interaction of clients through, telephone, emails, face to face?

If not face to face, at what level do you start going to meetings with clients at your specific BB?

Did you have team meetings every single day? How many meetings per day/week?

Over the 10 weeks, how much has your knowledge developed on specific industries and companies you worked with (e.g. their strategy, products, etc..) , and how broad was your exposure? (e.g. was it 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10+ companies ?)

congrats, really well done! Thanks for your help and good luck with your future career!

superiors come up with stategic ideas, as an analyst you may be able to add value or provide perspective and if you're proactive can very much be involved in discussions with superiors.. it's a good place to learn also. The MDs/Directors are the sole advisors, as junior bankers we play a support role

be interesting, partake in social events, get to know the guys on your team.. the job really isn't hard, it's a question as to whether i want to spend 17 hours a day with you

not personally, again as analysts we do the number crunching and material prep

emails/phones but i never directly contacted a client.. i would be cc'd in and conferenced in calls. generally the seniors dealt with client interaction, you shouldn't expect much/any as an analyst. that being said my assosicate facilitated and built his own client relationships

generally associates/VPs would go to meetings and play a more back seat role.

no, and it depends on whether i'm staffed on a live deal/pitch etc.. i have meetings most days but that's to go through rounds of comments, updates on how we should structure books, pitching meetings etc..

alot of knowledge in all those areas, i did an m&a summer before... but you learn new things everyday doing the role.. quite a steep learning curve. would give it a solid 9

thanks, all the best.
So you got a summer internship in first year and second year?
If yes, how did you do that?
Did you do a spring week?
What would you do if you weren't doing banking? And let's say journalism wasn't an option :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LifeIsFine
So you got a summer internship in first year and second year?
If yes, how did you do that?

had 3, one before i started uni, one in first year and one just now.

first year: did spring week, performed well, got invited back to do a first year summer internship (about 7 of us)
second year: got fast tracked from the spring week programme

Original post by Abstract_Prism
Did you do a spring week?

i did 3 spring weeks

Original post by Commercial Paper
What would you do if you weren't doing banking? And let's say journalism wasn't an option :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

accounting, most probably audit
And the one before you started uni?
Did you have connections already?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending