The Student Room Group

Which Cambridge colleges particularly care about AS UMS?

I was just wondering if there are any specific Cambridge colleges that are known to place a very heavy emphasis on UMS and are unlikely to accept people with slightly low UMS/ willing to accept people with high UMS that have underperformed in other areas.

Thanks for your help :smile:
All of them most likely.
Original post by theravadaz
I was just wondering if there are any specific Cambridge colleges that are known to place a very heavy emphasis on UMS and are unlikely to accept people with slightly low UMS/ willing to accept people with high UMS that have underperformed in other areas.

They all care about UMS, but Trinity prides itself on always coming top of the Tompkins table and is generally the most oversubscribed college so might be more fussy.
Reply 3

You won't have UMS in linear subjects now anyway.

What are your A-levels and for which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Platopus
They all care about UMS, but Trinity prides itself on always coming top of the Tompkins table and is generally the most oversubscribed college so might be more fussy.

Because, Maths, really. Not so much for other courses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
You won't have UMS in linear subjects now anyway.

What are your A-levels and for which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning on applying for Philosophy. 3 of my 4 AS subjects were modular so I assumed Cambridge would still ask about them. Will the SAQ no longer contain a section on UMS?

Edit // I'm taking Maths, Philosophy and Latin. I took English at AS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm planning on applying for Philosophy. 3 of my 4 AS subjects were modular so I assumed Cambridge would still ask about them. Will the SAQ no longer contain a section on UMS?

The SAQ will ask for UMS in subjects that still have it.

Apply to Trinity, as per your other thread :wink:

But, just keep in mind, and this applies to anyone applying to any college, there is always the chance you might get pooled. If you get a place at Cambridge everyone likes their ultimate college anyway.

But bottom line, if Trinity is your preference apply to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
The SAQ will ask for UMS in subjects that still have it.

Apply to Trinity, as per your other thread :wink:

But, just keep in mind, and this applies to anyone applying to any college, there is always the chance you might get pooled. If you get a place at Cambridge everyone likes their ultimate college anyway.

But bottom line, if Trinity is your preference apply to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

aha thanks for your help. I think I'm unduly stressing over college choice atm and thinking it's a much bigger decision than it is. Everywhere I go I'm pretty much getting the same advice though (apply to trinity) so I think that's what I'll do!
Reply 8
aha thanks for your help. I think I'm unduly stressing over college choice atm and thinking it's a much bigger decision than it is. Everywhere I go I'm pretty much getting the same advice though (apply to trinity) so I think that's what I'll do!

Good decision.

Except..... have you considered...

(only joking :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Platopus

Tomkins is not very accurate table to gauge the academic strength of colleges. Their methodology is way too simple.
People make fuss about it because that's the only table of that sort which is available for public to see.
The academic staff who are actually in charge of teaching undergraduate use and value Baxter table which is only avaible to those people. Nobody (except for them) knows what sort of data is used or how it's calculated, either, but that's what those people in charge really care about.

CAT once told me he wouldn't say Tomkins was unimportant but its importance is only in the fact it can be seen by public. Nothing more.
Reply 10
Original post by vincrows
Tomkins is not very accurate table to gauge the academic strength of colleges. Their methodology is way too simple.
People make fuss about it because that's the only table of that sort which is available for public to see.
The academic staff who are actually in charge of teaching undergraduate use and value Baxter table which is only avaible to those people. Nobody (except for them) knows what sort of data is used or how it's calculated, either, but that's what those people in charge really care about.

CAT once told me he wouldn't say Tomkins was unimportant but its importance is only in the fact it can be seen by public. Nothing more.

And probably won't exist after this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
And probably won't exist after this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean Tomkins? Are you talking about CUSU making noise about it?
Haven't been following recent development at all......
Any movement?
Reply 12
Original post by vincrows
You mean Tomkins? Are you talking about CUSU making noise about it?
Haven't been following recent development at all......
Any movement?

Yep. No public class lists = no tompkins.

I think it's gone to a Grace but I've lost track if a Ballot was called. If there's no ballot then the Grace comes into effect by default.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2015-16/weekly/6433/section1.shtml#heading2-6

I wonder if it will push the university to publishing Baxter instead. They are able to hide Baxter from FOI requests (I can't remember how but it's pretty sneaky either way) and no-one was too worried if they had Tompkins to fall back on. But if it goes too then I imagine there will be increased pressure to publish Baxter.

edit: update - there's a ballot in December!

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2015-16/weekly/6434/section1.shtml#heading2-4
http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/10513
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yep. No public class lists = no tompkins.

I think it's gone to a Grace but I've lost track if another Ballot was called. If there's no ballot then the Grace comes into effect by default.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2015-16/weekly/6433/section1.shtml#heading2-6

I wonder if it will push the university to publishing Baxter instead. They are able to hide Baxter from FOI requests (I can't remember how but it's pretty sneaky either way) and no-one was too worried if they had Tompkins to fall back on. But if it goes too then I imagine there will be increased pressure to publish Baxter.

edit: update - there's a ballot in December!

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2015-16/weekly/6434/section1.shtml#heading2-4
http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/10513

I don't think they'll publish Baxter, even if they're pushed.
There's no reason they have to. It does not actually benefit anyone outside those inner circle, who need to know how their college is doing, other than satisfying their curiosity.
I think they would think there'll be more negative effect than positive effect if those information become available to outside people.

I've seen the FOI letter of reply.
Was quite amused it sounded like they're even denying its existence.
Sounded a bit like some kind of secretive dark society refusing to admit they've been practicingn black magic............

Maybe that's what really is.. Maybe that's why they have to keep it from public........

:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending