The Student Room Group

Survey: Germans want a burqa ban

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You are extremely hypocritical to call Germans Nazis when you are complaining about racism. Also the burqa is a symbol of oppression that many Muslim woman would rather not wear, but is forced on her by her husbands and other males in her family that claim to 'own' her. As a German and a Christian like the vast majority of Germans, I would not be allowed to even build a church in an Islamic state. How is that for equality? All pro Muslim preachers should go and take a look at the real picture.
What's with the asinine method of quoting?
Original post by Josb
Disgusting. The Germans are so racist it's unreal.

Funny that you're now banned
Not sure how representative this is of the general population, but good. The burqa is a symbol of oppression and, above all, is potentially a security hazard in places like banks. People aren't allowed to walk around with balaclavas on, so this is no different regardless of the religious connotations (which ironically also justify a ban).

But of course, for the far left the French are completely fascist for banning it. Not like those Saudi's, following their culture by imprisoning/killing anyone who refuses to wear it in their own country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are things changing on the continent?
Reply 6
Original post by Pyongyang911
Funny that you're now banned

They won't shut me up! :mob:
unfair :redface:
Reply 8
You are extremely hypocritical to call Germans Nazis when you are complaining about racism. Also the burqa is a symbol of oppression that many Muslim woman would rather not wear, but is forced on her by her husbands and other males in her family that claim to 'own' her. As a German and a Christian like the vast majority of Germans, I would not be allowed to even build a church in an Islamic state. How is that for equality? All pro Muslim preachers should go and take a look at the real picture.

So how many burqa wearing women have you interviewed?

Leaving the burqa issue aside for the moment, that statement seems a little off to me. We don't sink to their level whilst condemning their doctrine. Just because you won't be able to build a church in an Islamic caliphate, it does not mean we should ban any Muslims from establishing a mosque in the UK.
Original post by HAnwar
So how many burqa wearing women have you interviewed?

Just look at the Islamic world, it doesn't take extensive research to fathom the disgraceful mistreatment of women within the Muslim community.
Reply 11
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yes. Ironically (referring to Brexit), the European continent is (or, at the very least, will probably become) much less politically correct than the UK.

Terrorist attacks have at least a positive side effect.

What you deem a symbol of oppression may be perceived as the norm of modesty. It's just a difference of perception. Not all are forced to wear them; my friend's grandmother wore a niqab. Didn't want to take it off even though every woman in the family younger then her didn't wear it, or a hijab. She wanted to, and was extremely uncomfortable without one. It was her choice, no one asked her to wear it, despite people including my friend's grandfather, and her other sons asking her to take it off.

Similarly, a friend of my mum who grew up not wearing a hijab, moved to Canada, became more religious, and over the course of several years, started wearing a niqab, despite her husband's vehement (and continuing) protests. These are anecdotal obviously, and I am highly against anyone forced to wear it like the women in Afghanistan during the Taliban era, but don't assume that every woman who wears it hasn't done so by her own desire to do so.

Flying-carpet fallacy; whataboutism. I don't recall "Islamic states" claiming to be models of freedom and equality.

What does a burqa ban achieve? Alienates more Muslims? Limits freedom of movement of Muslim women? Gives terrorist organisations another reason to target us? Appeases the not-so-tolerant members of our society?
(edited 7 years ago)
Not surprising really.
Reply 14
Original post by jake4198
Just look at the Islamic world, it doesn't take extensive research to fathom the disgraceful mistreatment of women within the Muslim community.

Still waiting for an answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the survey in Germany is mainlyabout the niqab where women have to
cover everything but their eyes.It doesn't make them nazis at all, a lot of people find the clothing dehumanising for women.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I try to use satire in my posts, which serves three purposes:
- it amuses people
- with an extreme example, hopefully encourages people to look for subtle biases in the wording of articles
- it keeps the liberals happy, as they think I am on their side

Glad to see a German on TSR btw :wink:

- Nah, I think it just pisses people off.
- The article itself is without bias, as all works of journalism should be.
- What does the term liberal mean to you?
Doesn't warrant the implementation of it. Even if 95% of the population wanted it.
Original post by HAnwar
Still waiting for an answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many Muslim women have you interviewed to the contrary? Even so, why would a Muslim adherent admit to any sort of oppression when they have been indoctrinated with regressive religious ideals since a very young age?

Given that 39% of Muslims believe a woman should always obey their husband in the UK alone, I believe the banning of the Burqa is a progressive step in empowering the most oppressed community in this country.
Original post by KingBradly
Are things changing on the continent?

We're in dire need of a change - a huge change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending