The Student Room Group

Errors in enthalpy change reaction

Why isn't 3 part of the answer because a lower mass of water means that q is lower so surely enthalpy change of combustion will also be lower since the value of q is smaller. Thanks

che.png
Reply 1
What's the whole question?

Just think about it, will the same energy heat up a smaller amount of water more or less? Q is the same as you are burning the same amount of fuel, m is just smaller than you think.
Reply 2
Original post by alow
What's the whole question?

Just think about it, will the same energy heat up a smaller amount of water more or less? Q is the same as you are burning the same amount of fuel, m is just smaller than you think.

From what I understand, less water means less energy is used meaning that as q=mc*delta T. Hence q is lower as a result of lower value of m

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
From what I understand, less water means less energy is used meaning that as q=mc*delta T. Hence q is lower as a result of lower value of m

Thanks

Sorry I misread.

M won't be decreased because if you don't realise you spilled any, you would assume the mass you measured was correct. So, what will happen to the temperature change if you have a lower mass (but don't realise it)?
Reply 4
Original post by alow
Sorry I misread.

M won't be decreased because if you don't realise you spilled any, you would assume the mass you measured was correct. So, what will happen to the temperature change if you have a lower mass (but don't realise it)?

Well, in that case it wouldn't change so it would be the same? However, do can you assume that the student hasn't noticed it ? Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by coconut64
Well, in that case it wouldn't change so it would be the same? However, do can you assume that the student hasn't noticed it ? Thanks

Yes it would. Does it take more or less energy to heat up a lower mass of water?

Because they would just use the volume of water they had measured, not accounting for the spillage. That's what I think the question is implying.
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Yes it would. Does it take more or less energy to heat up a lower mass of water?

Because they would just use the volume of water they had measured, not accounting for the spillage. That's what I think the question is implying.

Okay then, thanks .

Quick Reply

Latest