The Student Room Group

No Work Experience.

Right so i'm in Year 12 and moving to 13 after next week Monday. I was supposed to do work experience to for the course i am thinking about doing (that would be Computer Science/Computing) over the summer. I basically did three days when i was meant to do 2 weeks because i felt the experience was not insightful, unhelpful, extremely mundane and failed to equip me or build up on any soft or technical skills. I was basically doing my own stuff and used access to make databases things i just found entirely uninteresting. I don't think i was rash about it because it had no relation to the industry i want to be associated with, the game industry but this was a geospatial company. So considering that the game industry in my country is non-existent, i had a solid plan worked out on what to do over the summer as work experience (create a game or learn how to use a programming language like Python and maybe even others) but due to unsolicited intervention i couldn't do it over the summer. I still have time to do it after my final exams but if i do not accomplish it but achieve stellar grades like A*A*A*A*-A*AAA how detrimental would a lack of work experience be.
Reply 1
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Right so i'm in Year 12 and moving to 13 after next week Monday. I was supposed to do work experience to for the course i am thinking about doing (that would be Computer Science/Computing) over the summer. I basically did three days when i was meant to do 2 weeks because i felt the experience was not insightful, unhelpful, extremely mundane and failed to equip me or build up on any soft or technical skills. I was basically doing my own stuff and used access to make databases things i just found entirely uninteresting. I don't think i was rash about it because it had no relation to the industry i want to be associated with, the game industry but this was a geospatial company. So considering that the game industry in my country is non-existent, i had a solid plan worked out on what to do over the summer as work experience (create a game or learn how to use a programming language like Python and maybe even others) but due to unsolicited intervention i couldn't do it over the summer. I still have time to do it after my final exams but if i do not accomplish it but achieve stellar grades like A*A*A*A*-A*AAA how detrimental would a lack of work experience be.

Work experience is not a prerequisite for any CompSci courses.
Reply 2
You learned something valuable about work, namely work is not to make you happy but to make money for the company you work for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending