The Student Room Group

Taking day off during internship - Salary complications

So, I'm currently on a ten week placement, and need to take a day off to attend an interview in the next week or so. They asked at the beginning if I would need any days off, and I said no. I am entitled to five unpaid days off during the placement.

The problem is that I have been paid for the entirety of the internship (pay is in the middle of the month) Will it just be a matter of me repaying one days salary back to the organisation?

I should add that I'm not looking to get any kind of full time position at the firm/placement ends in three weeks.
(edited 7 years ago)
you cvould ask your line manager ... if you are any good they may even 'forget' to tell payroll
Reply 2
Original post by zippyRN
you cvould ask your line manager ... if you are any good they may even 'forget' to tell payroll

It's quite a small organisation <150 people, so my line manager is likely to just refer me to HR. I can't imagine taking the day off, without HR knowing. I'm also not entirely sure if I want my line manager to know that I'm going away for an interview!

I'm more curious to know if being paid already complicates the matter/will make them annoyed. The interview is fairly short notice, so there's not much I can do.
Noone on TSR will be able to give you a definite answer on this. Only you know your organisation and whether they would miss the £20-£100 already paid to you (not sure what your daily rate is). *If you received a salary (instead of an hourly rate), your 'employer' may not ask for it back, provided you get all your work done anyway.
Original post by erj2018
It's quite a small organisation <150 people, so my line manager is likely to just refer me to HR. I can't imagine taking the day off, without HR knowing. I'm also not entirely sure if I want my line manager to know that I'm going away for an interview!

I'm more curious to know if being paid already complicates the matter/will make them annoyed. The interview is fairly short notice, so there's not much I can do.

No, your line manager is the person who authorises your leave requests; or perhaps every employer i've had from two blokes in a shed through to thousands of employees private sector or public is talking out of their bottoms
Reply 5

Unrelated, but I thought it made sense to ask here, instead of making a new thread.

If you're applying for a job that is only asking for your CV, is there any need to also provide a cover letter?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by erj2018
Unrelated, but I thought it made sense to ask here, instead of making a new thread.

If you're applying for a job that is only asking for your CV, is there any need to also provide a cover letter?

Yes. Making an application by CV means 'by CV with a covering letter' unless they specifically say not to send a covering letter. It's a bit like wearing a suit to interview, it means suit and tie, unless they say open collar is OK.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes. Making an application by CV means 'by CV with a covering letter' unless they specifically say not to send a covering letter. It's a bit like wearing a suit to interview, it means suit and tie, unless they say open collar is OK.

Ah interesting, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending