The Student Room Group

Regressives: What are your solutions for countering problems related to Islam?

First off, I apologise if you dislike the term "regressive", but you know who you are.

Regressives routinely ask those most critical of Islam "Well, what are your solutions?". The answers are varied. Sometimes they will include greater and more open criticism of Islam, stopping giving Muslims special privileges, banning certain things like face covering Islamic veils in some or even all public places, making it more difficult for people to immigrate here from heavily Islamic countries, greater surveillance of Muslims, banning faith schools, and exerting more military force on fighting extremist groups. Islam's most strident critics may believe only one or two, or all of these things; it varies massively. But one thing is clear: they believe a critical approach to Islam will help drive people away from it, and help people to understand that Islam, or at least hardline Islamism, is not suited to our modern, liberal society.

So now, regressives, it is your turn. What do you propose as solutions to the many problems related to Islam? What do you think will help curb all the terrorism, honour killings, misogyny, homophobia, and other kinds of unpleasentness that is related to Islam?
The problem with this is that the extremists are in the minority. If you were to say ban faith schools there would be an outrage from the Muslim community, and likely so most of them are innocent, law abiding citizens. It's unfair treatment on their behalf, why should they suffer consequences due to the acts of a select few?
Reply 2
Well lets be honest their is realisticly only one sure fire solution to remove said problems people flap on about and it was tried back in the 20th century to the Jews.

Not that I support/condone etc. said proposition but to guarentee no more so called 'islamic problems' thats the only way to do it.
Actually I lie the other one would be to remove all non-muslims i guess...
Original post by HurtfulHarold
The problem with this is that the extremists are in the minority. If you were to say ban faith schools there would be an outrage from the Muslim community, and likely so most of them are innocent, law abiding citizens. It's unfair treatment on their behalf, why should they suffer consequences due to the acts of a select few?

Why should everybody else suffer at faith schools at for these minorities?

I am a regressive and my solution is to be nicer. We need less hate, thats why they do these accidental things. How many of you have a grandparent that has commited terrorism?

NONE - Thats because you dont aim threads and abuse at them over their religions like on here
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Why should everybody else suffer at faith schools at for these minorities?

I am a regressive and my solution is to be nicer. We need less hate, thats why they do these accidental things. How many of you have a grandparent that has commited terrorism?

NONE - Thats because you dont aim threads and abuse at them over their religions like on here

I genuinely don't know if you're being sarcastic or not so I'm not quite sure how to respond.
Original post by KingBradly
So now, regressives, it is your turn. What do you propose as solutions to the many problems related to Islam? What do you think will help curb all the terrorism, honour killings, misogyny, homophobia, and other kinds of unpleasentness that is related to Islam?

The rule of law alone. Last time I checked those things were against the law. The great thing about it is it doesn't discriminate at all by background. If you do the crime you do the time. Like magic we get Muslims and whites in prison in exactly the same proportion as that in which they commit crime and without once having to invoke their socio-economic or ethno-religious background.
Reply 6
Original post by HurtfulHarold

Why should so many people have to suffer because of this "minority"? Why not try to stop mass killings, homophobia, and misogyny by mildly inconveniencing Muslims and making them take their kids to schools where they actually learn facts rather than be brainwashed by religious mumbo-jumbo?
What do you mean by extremist? In my eyes, many are very extremely conservative, in relation to people in the UK. See these opinion polls, conducted by PEW, the nonpartisan research centre:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by scrotgrot
The rule of law alone. Last time I checked those things were against the law. The great thing about it is it doesn't discriminate at all by background. If you do the crime you do the time. Like magic we get Muslims and whites in prison in exactly the same proportion as that in which they commit crime and without once having to invoke their socio-economic or ethno-religious background.

What about when the police cover up multiple Muslim rape gangs and mass sexual assaults in public places? What about when Muslim women can walk around in airports with niqabs on?
Reply 8
This 'Mighty Whitey' attitude stinks of Orientalism.

I find this loaded question a testament to the discrimination that Muslims face anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Kazuhira
This 'Mighty Whitey' attitude stinks of Orientalism.

I find this loaded question a testament to the discrimination that Muslims face anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is it "loaded"?

Latest

Trending

Trending