The Student Room Group

Uni Applications

Has anyone got into a good uni with average gcses (B-C) or worse, having retaken a lot of AS exams with good final AS and A level results (A*-B) ?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

GCSEs are barely relevant for most universities/courses. Besides Oxford and Medicine, you will not be hindered as long as you have at least B's in English, Science and Maths.

If you don't have those, you may want to consider doing a few retakes in Year 12. Speak with your head of sixth form/tutor first though and see what they think.
Original post by 2579
Has anyone got into a good uni with average gcses (B-C) or worse, having retaken a lot of AS exams with good final AS and A level results (A*-B) ?

If I get into a good uni this year, I will! :biggrin:

I got more B's and C's than A's/A*'s at GCSE (1A*, 4A, 4B, 3C), and in AS I got Distinction* + AAB.
Reply 4
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Productivity
GCSEs are barely relevant for most universities/courses. Besides Oxford and Medicine, you will not be hindered as long as you have at least B's in English, Science and Maths.

If you don't have those, you may want to consider doing a few retakes in Year 12. Speak with your head of sixth form/tutor first though and see what they think.

I do have B's in those subjects except for CB at additional science (coursework brought the grade down), do you think this will be an issue?
Reply 6
Original post by Abstract_Prism
If I get into a good uni this year, I will! :biggrin:

I got more B's and C's than A's/A*'s at GCSE (1A*, 4A, 4B, 3C), and in AS I got Distinction* + AAB.

I'm going to be applying this year too, well done on those AS grades they're amazing. So where are you hoping to apply this year ?
Original post by 2579
I do have B's in those subjects except for CB at additional science (coursework brought the grade down), do you think this will be an issue?

I would phone the university and ask.
Original post by 2579
I'm going to be applying this year too, well done on those AS grades they're amazing. So where are you hoping to apply this year ?

At the moment I'm think UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Bristol, and Liverpool for Law.

What are you applying for and where?
Reply 9

At the moment I'm think UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Bristol, and Liverpool for Law.

What are you applying for and where?

I was thinking Liverpool and Manchester too with Cardiff for optometry/pharmacy. With those grades I'm sure you'll get loads of offers.
Original post by 2579
I was thinking Liverpool and Manchester too with Cardiff for optometry/pharmacy. With those grades I'm sure you'll get loads of offers.

What were your AS grades?
Reply 11

What were your AS grades?

CDDD in Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and I.T
:/. It's my fault for starting revision the day before and now I've got to resit everything so I might apply for uni in a gapyear

Quick Reply