The Student Room Group

Driving asap

I'm coming up to my 17th birthday in September and I would like to know what is the fastest time it would take to safely be able to drive as in a rough time frame? Also if there's any tips to passing my test quickly! I am a fast learner and have already booked my theory for just after my birthday, will it be possible to pass by Christmas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt it would be doable by Christmas.. You need to pass the theory before you can book the test, make sure your instructor is free on the date of your test and make sure you've done everything...then there is usually a 6-8 week wait for bookin the test... maybe by march time
Reply 2
I got my provisional in the September and was driving fully in the October. If you can get cancellations booked, you're golden, as long as you really are as fast of a learner as you say.
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
I got my provisional in the September and was driving fully in the October. If you can get cancellations booked, you're golden, as long as you really are as fast of a learner as you say.

Wow that's so good! Yeah great advice, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jackieox
I doubt it would be doable by Christmas..

Why not? It's totally possible. I had my first driving lesson 3 years ago in February and booked my driving test for March. Did a bunch of lessons over the space of four weeks and my instructor was very confident in my ability to pass. Failed the first test, but ended up passing in April - that's less than 8 weeks between my first lesson and passing, and that was taking into account the fact that I didn't pass first time (which can happen to anyone, nerves are a *****). If you book an intensive or even a semi-intensive like I did, you can pass within a month.

@Tobssss gotta have a shop around and find out what driving schools in your area do block lessons. You can quite comfortably do all your lessons over the space of four weeks, even less if you have the time and don't mind driving for several hours a day (though, in this case, your instructor would likely advise doing two lessons in a day rather than a long lesson). If you find one with a good reputation and decent prices, pass your theory and then get in touch with them asap afterwards - if you book an intensive or semi-intensive block like this then they normally book your test in advance so you shouldn't have to worry much about trying to get your test in once you're already ready. You could pass way before Christmas if all goes well, maybe just scrape it if you need a few tests and the booking times are long if you're in a busy area. It's certainly doable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by WoodyMKC
Why not? It's totally possible. I had my first driving lesson 3 years ago in February and booked my driving test for March. Did a bunch of lessons over the space of four weeks and my instructor was very confident in my ability to pass. Failed the first test, but ended up passing in April - that's less than 8 weeks between my first lesson and passing, and that was taking into account the fact that I didn't pass first time (which can happen to anyone, nerves are a *****). If you book an intensive or even a semi-intensive like I did, you can pass within a month.

@Tobssss gotta have a shop around and find out what driving schools in your area do block lessons. You can quite comfortably do all your lessons over the space of four weeks, even less if you have the time and don't mind driving for several hours a day (though, in this case, your instructor would likely advise doing two lessons in a day rather than a long lesson). If you find one with a good reputation and decent prices, pass your theory and then get in touch with them asap afterwards - if you book an intensive or semi-intensive block like this then they normally book your test in advance so you shouldn't have to worry much about trying to get your test in once you're already ready. You could pass way before Christmas if all goes well, maybe just scrape it if you need a few tests and the booking times are long if you're in a busy area. It's certainly doable.

Wowwww, thank you so much! That's so helpful!! Is it best to go for a private instructor or for one which is part of a company for the fastest time to pass? Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tobssss
Wowwww, thank you so much! That's so helpful!! Is it best to go for a private instructor or for one which is part of a company for the fastest time to pass? Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say it's best to go for a private instructor, I've been to both RED, BSM, and I took a break and now have a private instructor who is cheaper, more understanding and doesn't spend hours making me look at sheets of paper and discuss theory instead of actually driving. Also I once had to cancel a test because I was sick with only a few hours' notice and I wasn't charged for it, which the big national schools definitely wouldn't do! Have a look on Yellow Pages or something similar for reviews.

It's definitely doable to go from complete beginner to pass by December, if you have something like two lessons a week and a good instructor that isn't trying to scam you. Your instructor should be able to give you an idea of how long it should take you to pass your test. Don't be too upset if you don't pass by December, the pass rate for the practical test is something like 45% first time. Is there any particular reason why you want to pass quickly or do you just want to get it over with?

Of course, there are intensive driving schools where you can theoretically pass your theory and practical within a few days, but in my opinion this is not a good idea as being able to drive a car on your own vs. with an instructor is a completely different experience, and you don't want to end up making a bad decision whilst driving independently because you only have five days of experience on the road. These are generally expensive at ~£700 as well.

You're welcome
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply