The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
I do sound sympathetic because I want them to embrace the truth and reject falsehood.

I will stop joking now, but it's attitudes like yours that drive transgendered and homosexual people to depression, and potentially suicide, I hope you realise that.

Telling someone that their feelings, essentially, aren't real and aren't legitimate, would be extremely upsetting, probably more than you thought when you originally posted it. Although I understand you have every right to hold the beliefs that you do, but understand the connotations of what you say. Think of it like this: what if someone told you that you were deluded for being heterosexual/cisgendered, and that your feelings are essentially, wrong, and that you will never be viewed as yourself in their eyes. How would you feel about that? Think of how a child might feel about being told that by an authority figure. It would be pretty mentally damaging. Think carefully about what you're saying, for your sake and for the sake of your potential children. I'm sorry if I sound overly harsh here, I just feel that this should be said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by newsunflower
Been reading this thread and I just felt I had to respond to this.

Alternative opinions are not toxic. Asking questions are not toxic. It's called a discussion and for someone who is presumably in education I would hope you will have had the maturity to tackle issues from an intellectual perspective.

Lol at the suggestion for people ringing up the police because something on the internet - a person's opinion - upset them.

This is why, apart from a couple of people I can most definitely trust, I would refuse to associate myself with SJWs.

In response to the question, heaven knows. But I do second comments such as thinking what have I done wrong.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've said, personally. I think it's right we are having this debate and seeing each other's opinions, but I don't think it's right we should be nasty to each other because of our opinions. We believe what we want to believe and we should leave it at that :smile:
Lord almighty, there's a lot of disgusting comments here. I'm not planning on having kids but if my hypothetical son ever came out as transgender, I guess I'd be surprised but it wouldn't affect how much I loved them. I'd support them no matter what. Y'know, because that's what LOVING PARENTS DO.
Original post by dingleberry jam
Can lead to health problems.* Most drug use doesn't.

Illegal drug use (which I assume is what you mean by drugs) does lead to health problems- that's why they're illegal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Illegal drug use (which I assume is what you mean by drugs) does lead to health problems-

Like i said, it can lead to health problems, most doesn't, just like with legal drug use.

Original post by Trapz99

that's why they're illegal.

If that were the case alcohol would be illegal.
Original post by rainbow.panda
Lord almighty, there's a lot of disgusting comments here. I'm not planning on having kids but if my hypothetical son ever came out as transgender, I guess I'd be surprised but it wouldn't affect how much I loved them. I'd support them no matter what. Y'know, because that's what LOVING PARENTS DO.

A loving parent would ask what is going on and not immediately get them hormone treatment/surgery.

I'd probably send them to a mental health practitioner to see what was going on.
Original post by lawyer3c
a solution that works for everyone
lol I know what you're trying to say but I'll still stick with my original statement.
Reply 207
Original post by ivybridge
Don't have kids then.

why? not everyone should have to accept his lifestyle choices.

no kid of mine will be a transgender or a gay. if they decide to become one, they will have to leave.
"Thank you so much for telling me this. Just know I will love you no matter what. How can I support you further?"

Or anything else just as reasonable and loving and... you know... human?
Original post by ELVsLP

no kid of mine will be a transgender or a gay. if they decide to become one, they will have to leave.

"decide to become one"

lol
Original post by ELVsLP

"lifestyle choices"

How the **** are they lifestyle choices?

Did you "decide" to become heterosexual?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
"lifestyle choices"

How the **** are they lifestyle choices?

Did you "decide" to become heterosexual?

PRSOM! :biggrin:
Reply 212
Original post by Trapz99
Drug users are damaging themselves. It's a well known fact that illegal drugs lead to severe health problems. No parent should be fine with their child taking drugs. They should try and stop the child from taking drugs and sometimes the tough approach is needed.

Please, in the nicest way possible, do not talk upon maters in which your knowledge is surpassed by the average (educated) person. To give an opinion, as if it were a fact, is childish at best. Thus, please do not let your foul demeanour permeate a discussion that is best left to those who are versed in such matters.
Reply 213
Original post by Trapz99
I do sound sympathetic because I want them to embrace the truth and reject falsehood.

'...embrace the truth...' What truth? Can you prove that their truth is not the truth? Why should your opinion be any more true or valid than theirs? Your statements lack benevolence, and must thereforebe backed by actuality. Of which, very little is apparent.
Original post by Ladbants
If you don't have a son, pretend that you do...

Daughter*
All I know is that I would be upset.
im not sure how I'd feel but the people in this thread claiming they would disown their children and kick them out the house while also citing suicide statistics are unbelievably retarded lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 217
Original post by Mathemagicien
I'm not taking sides, but this one of the things I hate about TSR - posters labouriously going through dictionaries, in order to sound as pompous as possible, in a misguided attempt to sound "grown-up".

It is especially painful when their username is "Gregory" backwards.

It is not an attempt to sound 'grown up'. I simply speak and write as I was taught to, and I think you mean a thesaurus, not a dictionary, but that is hardly the point I am making. Just because my diction is different to yours does not imply that I am 'laboriously going through dictionaries', it simply implies that I speak differently.
And dare I ask, why does my username being my middle name backwards make it more painful? And why would I want to sound 'grown-up'
But there is no point in bickering about it under this thread so please understand that I do not wish to sound derogatory, and I certainly do not want to argue over my diction.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yrogerG
It is not an attempt to sound 'grown up'. I simply speak and write as I was taught to, and I think you mean a thesaurus, not a dictionary, but that is hardly the point I am making. Just because my diction is different to yours does not imply that I am 'laboriously going through dictionaries', it simply implies that I speak differently.
And dare I ask, why does my username being my middle name backwards make it more painful? And why would I want to sound 'grown-up'
But there is no point in bickering about it under this thread so please understand that I do not wish to sound derogatory, and I certainly do not want to argue over my diction.

🔥🔥🔥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawtyb
all 3 of my kids are boys, if any of them came out as transgender, my response would be

"cool, just dont steal my clothes"

This world needs more cool people like you :tongue:

Latest